OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Parent » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm
Parent wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:25 am

Exactly what my DS told us. Shouldn't they manage their training more efficiently?
Being inefficient is also part of the training :lol:
You have to be trained to rush to wait, wait to rush.
:slapshead:

Parent
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Parent » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm

floppy wrote:
Parent wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:25 am

Exactly what my DS told us. Shouldn't they manage their training more efficiently?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Post by Nebbermind » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Parent wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm
floppy wrote:
习惯就好了!

hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:45

Post by hercules » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

For commandos in camp training, my son shared if there is any sabo king around (like someone got caught using handphone during off hours at night, then whole group would get punishment till about bedtime (to meet the minimal bed hours in camp) without shower. All men had to sleep sweaty and 'smellily'. Just one time like this and no one ever dared to break the rules.

When go overseas outfield training, can sleep for total less than 12 hours over 4 nights.

He said there are several good filtering layers to sieve out those who can make it and those who cannot make it (in his time, started with about 250 and filtered to final about 150 with the rest posted out). He concluded all his buddies would not want their training to be otherwise as it was pure discipline and comradeship that build character (not for everyone unless one who likes tough training).

For fun reading:

https://mothership.sg/2015/06/29-things ... commandos/

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by peasants » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm

All combat units have tough trainings, as well as minimum sleep etc etc...

They may not have honor and glory expectation to fill with. Colour of beret may not be significant. I find spirit without just cause admirable.

The year is 1991, when hot thick milo and all kinds of perks are still being served in certain camp, guards and all other camps tea black taste like sai. Yet record is rewrote that year. Good old days!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by floppy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

peasants wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm

They may not have honor and glory expectation to fill with. Colour of beret may not be significant. I find spirit without just cause admirable.

The year is 1991, when hot thick milo and all kinds of perks are still being served in certain camp, guards and all other camps tea black taste like sai. Yet record is rewrote that year. Good old days!
No honour and glory but still got ready to strike. Color of the beret is significant- khaki with a tao gua behind leh

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by peasants » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm
peasants wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm

No honour and glory but still got ready to strike. Color of the beret is significant- khaki with a tao gua behind leh
No le, only guards tab. Khaki beret is 94. I would prefer not to distinct any particular unit from majority others especially in terms of toughness, garang, elite, pride whatsoever. Its National Service! Combat medics, signallers, runners and even civil defence folks have tough trainings. Tell you the divers are the most quiet one, almost forgotten, probably only ippt gold chart can see their unit mentioned.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by floppy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm

peasants wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

No le, only guards tab. Khaki beret is 94. I would prefer not to distinct any particular unit from majority others especially in terms of toughness, garang, elite, pride whatsoever. Its National Service! Combat medics, signallers, runners and even civil defence folks have tough trainings. Tell you the divers are the most quiet one, almost forgotten, probably only ippt gold chart can see their unit mentioned.
Oh yah, forgot that the change of beret parade was 94. Also forgot that I was actually in that parade - replacing my old green beret w/ tau gua to a khaki beret w/ tau gua :lol:

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by peasants » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:13 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm
peasants wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Oh yah, forgot that the change of beret parade was 94. Also forgot that I was actually in that parade - replacing my old green beret w/ tau gua to a khaki beret w/ tau gua :lol:
Oh i see! Fellow guardsman! :)

Parent
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Parent » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Spoke to my DS last night doing his BMT in Tekong. He said sometimes had very short time for lunch. Only got about 10 minutes if you happened to be at the back of a long queue.

As a result, some recruits rushed to get their food and this resulted in accidents. Heard one recruit fell and hurt his leg very very badly and needed bandage. He was given MC like one week.

Because of this, they have been warned not to rush. Anyone caught rushing will be charged with disciplinany actions. 😠😠😠