Let's Talk about National Service

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16422
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:163

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:55 am

KancheongMum123 wrote:
limlim wrote:
KancheongMum123 wrote:It's a nightmare to me that my son has to go NS =P
It would be a nightmare when your homeland is invaded and there is no one to defend it.

I am not against NS but that the govt has give 100% assurance that our DSs will return safe and sound in one piece. NS can be good training, but not when there is even the slightest possibility that our DSs can get injured or worse kaput. As long as I don't have to worry the slightest bit, NS is ok with me. I spend 18 yrs looking after my only boy as mum. I think I have the right to demand that our DSs will be 100% safe when we put them in the govt's hands for NS training.
Your hub didn't serve in NS?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16422
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:163

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:58 am

sushi88 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
buds wrote:There are different uniformed grouped for serving NS.

As in Police Force, SCDF, Navy, Air Force, SAF ?

Or does SAF comprises navy, Air Force and the on land ones?

Pardon me :oops:
SAF = the Singapore Army,
the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) and
the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN)
Most will still go thru standard bmt before being despatched to land, air or sea.
Used to be only small numbers sent to SPF or SCDF...not sure still the same now.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:72

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by hquek » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:49 am

KancheongMum123 wrote:
limlim wrote:
KancheongMum123 wrote:It's a nightmare to me that my son has to go NS =P
It would be a nightmare when your homeland is invaded and there is no one to defend it.

I am not against NS but that the govt has give 100% assurance that our DSs will return safe and sound in one piece. NS can be good training, but not when there is even the slightest possibility that our DSs can get injured or worse kaput. As long as I don't have to worry the slightest bit, NS is ok with me. I spend 18 yrs looking after my only boy as mum. I think I have the right to demand that our DSs will be 100% safe when we put them in the govt's hands for NS training.
I have 2. Can only pray very hard they will be fine in time to come. For now, can only build resilience so they have the mental toughness to emerge as men. Take bus/mrt also cannot 100% confirm safe and sound or in 1 piece. Then how? :shrug: I understand that NS over the years has been toned down a lot.

My fren lagi worse...her kid was selected for Naval Diving Unit. She was super upset but her son was very excited to go for it. So far so good....

:xedfingers: :xedfingers:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:121

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:36 am

sushi88 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
buds wrote:There are different uniformed grouped for serving NS.

As in Police Force, SCDF, Navy, Air Force, SAF ?

Or does SAF comprises navy, Air Force and the on land ones?

Pardon me :oops:
SAF = the Singapore Army,
the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) and
the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN)
:thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:121

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:37 am

PiggyLalala wrote:[/youtube]

Hi Jennifer, you can go youtube and search for every Singaporean son. There are many episodes on NS Life.

Thanks for starting this thread. Our boys are around the same age. I need to find out more on NS too. :smile:
:thankyou:

I supposed this series of videos are edited for assuring parents :lol:

I hope to hear real life accounts :xedfingers:

Do you think there is a gag order that current NS men cannot tell in public what they are going through?


limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Aug 02,
Total Likes:108

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by limlim » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 am

KancheongMum123 wrote: I am not against NS but that the govt has give 100% assurance that our DSs will return safe and sound in one piece. NS can be good training, but not when there is even the slightest possibility that our DSs can get injured or worse kaput. As long as I don't have to worry the slightest bit, NS is ok with me. I spend 18 yrs looking after my only boy as mum. I think I have the right to demand that our DSs will be 100% safe when we put them in the govt's hands for NS training.
Even when your kids go to school and join any sports or PE, the govt cannot give you 100% assurance that they will return safe and sound. no one can give that kind of assurance.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:121

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:41 am

hquek wrote:My fren lagi worse...her kid was selected for Naval Diving Unit. She was super upset but her son was very excited to go for it. So far so good....

:xedfingers: :xedfingers:
I sweated while watching the Ah Boy to Frogmen. If the training drills depicted in the movie are real, it is indeed very demanding.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Aug 02,
Total Likes:108

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by limlim » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 am

Jennifer wrote:
buds wrote:There are different uniformed grouped for serving NS.

As in Police Force, SCDF, Navy, Air Force, SAF ?

Or does SAF comprises navy, Air Force and the on land ones?

Pardon me :oops:
SAF = Singapore Armed Forces. Include land(Army), sea (Navy)and air(Air force)

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:121

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am

limlim wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
buds wrote:There are different uniformed grouped for serving NS.

As in Police Force, SCDF, Navy, Air Force, SAF ?

Or does SAF comprises navy, Air Force and the on land ones?

Pardon me :oops:
SAF = Singapore Armed Forces. Include land(Army), sea (Navy)and air(Air force)
:thankyou:

Can a pre-enlist boy opt for Police Force to serve his NS?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Aug 02,
Total Likes:108

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by limlim » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:54 am

Jennifer wrote:
hquek wrote:My fren lagi worse...her kid was selected for Naval Diving Unit. She was super upset but her son was very excited to go for it. So far so good....

:xedfingers: :xedfingers:
I sweated while watching the Ah Boy to Frogmen. If the training drills depicted in the movie are real, it is indeed very demanding.
NDU is elite unit.. difference level of training lah.

It's like commandos.

Demanding? naturally.

Just consider that any training that was served, it meant to prepare them for REAL war. In a REAL war, the enemy is not going to tell you "tomorrow 6am invading, please get ready, set your alarm clock etc.." ya? No point doing wayang exercises that is detached from reality right? :evil:
Last edited by limlim on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply