Let's Talk about National Service

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
JoeLeng
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by JoeLeng » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:29 pm

I have a lot of memorable experiences with NS. The scar on my left leg reminds me of how brave am I and I was able to overcome those days

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Post by peasants » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:57 am

How the scar comes about?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Post by peasants » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 pm

Happen to find and bought a full set of 2G army uniform. Weighs a tonne compare to current 3G ones which my kid is having for NCC.

Jadedfox
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by Jadedfox » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 pm

SINGAPORE: A Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) captain who was charged in 2018 with causing the death of a full-time national serviceman (NSF) by a rash act has been granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal, the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) said on Wednesday (Feb 5).

Captain Tan Baoshu, 31, was charged in October 2018 with causing the death of NSF Dave Lee Han Xuan by a rash act not amounting to culpable homicide.

Advertisement

Corporal First Class (CFC) Lee died aged 19 in April 2018, after suffering a heat stroke following an 8km fast march.

CPT Tan was the supervising officer of the march and was accused of failing to evacuate him in a timely manner. He was also accused of not allowing the necessary treatment to be administered to CFC Lee, causing the latter's death from heat stroke.

CPT Tan had been set to go to trial over the single charge, which drew a maximum jail term of five years, a fine, or both, if convicted.

In response to CNA queries, an AGC spokesperson said the court had granted CPT Tan a discharge not amounting to an acquittal in chambers on Jan 8 this year. This means the prosecution will stop pursuing the charge, but does not mean that the accused is acquitted.

Advertisement

An AGC spokesperson told CNA that CPT Tan "has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer".

According to the Criminal Procedure Code, the public prosecutor may decline to further prosecute at any stage of the trial.

According to Section 232 of the code, "the public prosecutor may, if he thinks fit, inform the court that he will not further prosecute the accused upon the charge, and the proceedings on the charge against the accused must then be stayed and he shall be discharged from and of the same".

CNA has contacted CPT Tan's defence lawyer for comment.

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:58

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Nostalgic :wink:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:309

Post by phtthp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm

chenlaoshi wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:57 pm
Nostalgic :wink:

Wow !
looks good
Where do the army recruit eat this sumptuous meal ?
at Tekong island ?

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:58

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Yeah, one of the meals served during our BMT there. My time was baked beans instead of mashed potatoes though. :p

Kjolene
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Kjolene » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm

National Service is good and necessary. Just need keep tweaking to modern Singapore's context, its not Desert Storm here :)

shaber
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by shaber » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:52 am

Hi, my son’s enlistment is on 11 Aug and we reside in the US so I am not very updated on NS issues. We are planning for him to return in June or early July to fulfill his IPPT , taking into consideration he may need to quarantine for 14 days before IPPT. If he passes his IPPT, does it mean that his new enlistment date will be about eight weeks later from 11Aug? Someone told me it may or may not be postponed 8 weeks but he will be enlisted directly into the 9-week BMT and enjoy 2-month reduction in full-time NS duration (from 24 month to 22 month). Anyone knows?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:83

Post by ngl2010 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm

shaber wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:52 am
Hi, my son’s enlistment is on 11 Aug and we reside in the US so I am not very updated on NS issues. We are planning for him to return in June or early July to fulfill his IPPT , taking into consideration he may need to quarantine for 14 days before IPPT. If he passes his IPPT, does it mean that his new enlistment date will be about eight weeks later from 11Aug? Someone told me it may or may not be postponed 8 weeks but he will be enlisted directly into the 9-week BMT and enjoy 2-month reduction in full-time NS duration (from 24 month to 22 month). Anyone knows?
What is his PES?