Let's Talk about National Service

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
shaber
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 11,

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by shaber » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 am

He’s PES B1

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7688
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:83

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by ngl2010 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:15 pm

shaber wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 am
He’s PES B1
Scenario 1: If your son passes IPPT, his enlistment date will be postponed to about 8 weeks later from 11 Aug. His NS duration will be 22 months. My son's friend received letter for enlistment postponement around 8 days after he passed IPPT. But that was before covid-19 time so I am not sure about it and how long for the mail to arrive in the US. Anyway, your son can always check the NS portal.

Scenario 2: If your son fails IPPT, he can still re-take IPPT up until 2 weeks before his enlistment date. If he passes IPPT at least 2 weeks before his enlistment date, then see Scenario 1. Please book IPPT early because the appointment slots can be full.

Scenario 3: If your son fails IPPT up to 2 weeks before his enlistment date, then he will be enlisted on 11 August 2020 and his NS duration will 24 months.

shaber
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 11,

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by shaber » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am

When is the first weekend home for BMT? Is it still the third weekend of enlistment?

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jul 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by usaik » Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 am

shaber wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am
When is the first weekend home for BMT? Is it still the third weekend of enlistment?
My son was enlisted in Jan 20. Yes, his first book out was the third weekend.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jul 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by usaik » Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am

Hi,
Need advice from experienced mom please.
May I know is there any difference in NS duration with regards to the vocation? Is it 22 months?
My son was enlisted in Jan 2020. If he needs to serve for 22 months, does it mean that he would be completing his full time service around Nov 2021? As such, should be looking at entering U in 2022?


ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7688
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:83

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by ngl2010 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:14 pm

usaik wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am
Hi,
Need advice from experienced mom please.
May I know is there any difference in NS duration with regards to the vocation? Is it 22 months?
My son was enlisted in Jan 2020. If he needs to serve for 22 months, does it mean that he would be completing his full time service around Nov 2021? As such, should be looking at entering U in 2022?
Only PES A and B1 who passed IPPT before enlistment needs to serve only 22 months. The rest will have to serve 24 months.

Yes, your son will be entering U in August 2022 unless if he is taking medicine course.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jul 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by usaik » Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am

ngl2010 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:14 pm
usaik wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am
Hi,
Need advice from experienced mom please.
May I know is there any difference in NS duration with regards to the vocation? Is it 22 months?
My son was enlisted in Jan 2020. If he needs to serve for 22 months, does it mean that he would be completing his full time service around Nov 2021? As such, should be looking at entering U in 2022?
Only PES A and B1 who passed IPPT before enlistment needs to serve only 22 months. The rest will have to serve 24 months.

Yes, your son will be entering U in August 2022 unless if he is taking medicine course.
Thanks for the advice and clarification!

Post Reply