Paypal requests IC and proof of residence

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Paypal requests IC and proof of residence

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Anybody required by Paypal to submit copy of IC and proof of residence to them? I was recently asked by Paypal because they said I had spent more than $7500 on Paypal. I am hesitant to give them copy of my IC though. If their website is hacked, then my IC could be misused. Am I paranoid?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Paypal requests IC and proof of residence

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Sounds fishy to me. Outside Singapore, NRIC shouldn't be necessary. You could email Paypal directly and check if the request actually came from them?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mdm Koh » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Sounds fishy. I recently received an email "reminder" from Paypal via my hotmail account asking for my details. However, as I did not sign up for Paypal using my hotmail account, I decided to ignore the "reminder".

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Has it something to do with transferring of fund out of SG?
I remember few years back they were trying to plug the hole that allows people to remit fund illegally.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:26 pm

It is a legit request from Paypal. I logged in into Paypal and saw the message in their website (I received 2 emails from them previously) and my account is now limited i.e. can't do transaction.

I am not transferring any fund out of Singapore. Just buying some online stuff.

So upset... I'm either quitting Paypal or have to give copy of my IC to them. Do they think I am money laundering or what? :slapshead:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Anybody required by Paypal to submit copy of IC and proof of residence to them? I was recently asked by Paypal because they said I had spent more than $7500 on Paypal. I am hesitant to give them copy of my IC though. If their website is hacked, then my IC could be misused. Am I paranoid?

That's their policy

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:06 pm

I am not giving Paypal a copy of my IC. I have seen identity theft in Singapore before. The person took the Singapore IC and pretended to be a returning Singaporean wanted to rent an apartment here. We reported to police but nothing can be done because the thief is overseas.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 pm

ngl2010 wrote:I am not giving Paypal a copy of my IC. I have seen identity theft in Singapore before. The person took the Singapore IC and pretended to be a returning Singaporean wanted to rent an apartment here. We reported to police but nothing can be done because the thief is overseas.

You can choose to photocopy the IC with a remark "strictly for Paypal verification purpose" written across the IC such that it is difficult to photoshop away the remark or do a watermark across the IC or take a pic of the IC placed on a table (pic to include the table surface) before sending as an image file.

Do not scan and forward the IC as it is.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Jennifer wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:I am not giving Paypal a copy of my IC. I have seen identity theft in Singapore before. The person took the Singapore IC and pretended to be a returning Singaporean wanted to rent an apartment here. We reported to police but nothing can be done because the thief is overseas.

You can choose to photocopy the IC with a remark "strictly for Paypal verification purpose" written across the IC such that it is difficult to photoshop away the remark or do a watermark across the IC or take a pic of the IC placed on a table (pic to include the table surface) before sending as an image file.

Do not scan and forward the IC as it is.

Thank you for the suggestion, Jennifer. I will do that. :smile:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Mdm Koh wrote:Sounds fishy. I recently received an email "reminder" from Paypal via my hotmail account asking for my details. However, as I did not sign up for Paypal using my hotmail account, I decided to ignore the "reminder".

Hihi,

I received a few emails from PayPal recently too. They are all requesting for me to update my account, citing that my account has been limited for security purposes and that to be able to fully utilise my PayPal account, I should click the link to update my account. One of the email also had this subject, RE : we are investigating a payment reversal case.....

I ignored the first and second reminders but I kept receiving so I checked all the email address.... Payipal@...... Costomer@..... Etc.... None of them seems legit to me.
So I googled how to check the authenticity if the email is from PayPal. It says that PayPal will always address us by the name that we use in our account..If the email is addressed to our email address (eg dear xxx@hotmail.com) or Customer number (eg Dear PP 1234-5678-987-6543 )instead, it is not from PayPal.
The emails I received addressed me as Dear xxxx@hotmail..com. Or Dear PP xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time