Relocation to Japan

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Relocation to Japan

Postby reiner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

hubby has a chance to be relocate to Jpn for 3/4 yrs. Co. offered family package to us.

so would like to know more of Jpn lifestyle, expenditures, education, etc... hope to have some lights in here...

more concern of the kids' education in Jpn. what are the stuffs/ points need to look for?

pardon me... for my "blurness"...

reiner
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Relocation to Japan

Postby Ikid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Congratulations! I suppose you will enroll your children in the international school, so that when your family comes back to Singapore for good, they will be able to integrate into Singapore education system easily. How old is your child and which part of Japan will you be residing?
Also if your kids are currently in the Singapore primary school now, you can apply leave of absence so that the school will still reserve the placement for your kids. I have heard some children attend lessons in their school when the family came back for summer break, so that the kids can still have a feel of local education system.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lilrascal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Congrats! Must be very excited to go there for a few years!

Which part of Japan will your hubby be relocated to? I was in Japan for 9 years before moving to Singapore. Perhaps can give you my two cents worth of advice..

If your family will be in Japan for at least 1 year with the kids transferred to a school, I suggest you keep your English well spoken as even though Japanese schools have English courses compulsory to take, their adaption is still quite poor. Moreover, with the lack of daily use in Japan, it's not surprising Japanese are still pretty poor in basic conversational English. Don't let your kids forget about English and/or Mandarin if possible.

Besides that, cost of living in Japan might be high, but surprisingly you can actually manage it by getting yourself familiarized with the promotion and/or sales that the supermarkets do, as some items can be really cheap at certain time (that was how I managed to survive for so many years!). Eating out can be affordable as well because there are a growing number of eateries like Saizeriya (alwas been my favorite) provide an economical option if you plan to eat out.

As for rental over there, I'm not sure whether you have to look for accommodation as well, but if you are not, you are lucky! Even if you have to, there are actually cheaper units for rent in Japan if compared to Singapore. In fact, if we compare apple to apple, Singapore rental could be higher than in Osaka (I stayed there most of the time)!

I'm sure as time passes, you will get yourself familiarize with environment there. Just remember to learn some Japanese or two!

Good luck!

lilrascal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby reiner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:53 pm

great to see reply yah... haha..

ya they will be in int'l sch. kids are in P3 & K2 now, in singapore pri sch n childcare ctr.

will be in tokyo

noted of the application of leave of absence as we have asked my kid pri sch yah. need to pay school fee in order to secure the places for kids.

ooh.. like the back to school thingy yah... will talk to the pri sch yah...

reiner
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby reiner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:01 pm

thanks Ikid, lilrascal reply yah...

hubby mentioned hse finding will be settled by co. but need to specify the area...

the int'l sch seems to be in city area yah... so the rental will be ex eh?

for the jpn lang, intend to enroll community ctr course to try out first... haha... :sweat: back to class... after 20years....

should i settle the sch first then hse?

reiner
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Ikid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:06 pm

reiner wrote:thanks Ikid, lilrascal reply yah...

hubby mentioned hse finding will be settled by co. but need to specify the area...

the int'l sch seems to be in city area yah... so the rental will be ex eh?

for the jpn lang, intend to enroll community ctr course to try out first... haha... :sweat: back to class... after 20years....

should i settle the sch first then hse?

Maybe can visit this website
http://expatsguide.jp/category/ch9/inte ... ools-tokyo to learn more.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby reiner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:56 pm

thanks for the link... have came across this link while doing "research"... shld say seems like from "ang moh" point of view yah...

actually would wanna feedback from singaporean point... haha... ermmmm... maybe asking too much yah...

have shortlisted one int'l sch... wonder shall i proceed to apply for it?

reiner
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Recess Time