KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Re: The Stressed Parents

Post by seaglass » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:54 am

ImMeeMee wrote:
seaglass wrote:
So pretty! :love:
How did you keep the lines so straight? Did you have to mark the fabric first?

So far I only tried cross-stitch.. much simpler hee.
I use a tailor pencil, pink in this case. Can get this at any sewing supplies shop. The markings are not that strong to start with and will fade off eventually.
Thanks IMM!
After you've completed your Masterpiece, what do u do with it?
I think this one would look so elegant as table linen.. but seems too precious after all your hardwork.. :sweat:

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by ImMeeMee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

seaglass wrote:
Thanks IMM!
After you've completed your Masterpiece, what do u do with it?
I think this one would look so elegant as table linen.. but seems too precious after all your hardwork.. :sweat:
seaglass, good question. I am also thinking ...

Can make it into a cushion cover or a carrier bag, but I have recently made both. So now thinking of what to do with it. Table linen is a good idea, except that we dont use that at home ... :yikes:

Maybe make it into a more elegant looking shopping bag for myself ... :boogie:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:25 am

ImMeeMee wrote:My latest. Japanese sashiko embroidery. Basic running stitch built on the concept of symmetry. Great fun but needs patience and perseverance.

So pretty.
The patience part is daunting :nailbite: but I wanna try this

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ImMeeMee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:30 am

Sun_2010 wrote:

So pretty.
Sun, try try. I learnt this from the book 'The Ultimate Sashiko Resource Book' by Susan Briscoe. Available in NLB.

This is one of the easiest patterns that I can find. So you can imagine how the other patterns are like. The stitches are simple, the concept of symmetry is simple, but the effect is just wonderful. I really admire the women of old times to be able to create and do this. Quite inspiring for me.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:06 am

ImMeeMee wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:

So pretty.
Sun, try try. I learnt this from the book 'The Ultimate Sashiko Resource Book' by Susan Briscoe. Available in NLB.

This is one of the easiest patterns that I can find. So you can imagine how the other patterns are like. The stitches are simple, the concept of symmetry is simple, but the effect is just wonderful. I really admire the women of old times to be able to create and do this. Quite inspiring for me.
Thanks IMM. I will hunt it out .

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:18 am

ImMeeMee wrote:I really admire the women of old times to be able to create and do this. Quite inspiring for me.
On the other hand, modern women have many more demands on their time, thanks to modern household gadgets (which "free" up time so women take on more tasks and get even busier), working outside the home, greater demands of childcare and children's education, mass media etc. Women of old basically did housework and some farming, let the kids mostly fend for themselves and usually made the kids help out as well, and once night fell or during long winters for those in temperate countries, there was nothing to do but sit and do handcraft. Some women would just do an adequate job, while others would be creative and make them beautiful as well. And often, they did handcrafts because there were few manufactured products and everything had to be made from scratch. Every time period has it's pros and cons. I sometimes wish we lived in simpler times with fewer demands!

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ImMeeMee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:42 am

slmkhoo wrote:
I sometimes wish we lived in simpler times with fewer demands!
I echo that. I too wish that society is not too complex and we can live with simpler terms. But then again, without the progression to complexities we would not be able to realize the value of going back to basics.

Its like this embroidery. Its complexity is built on simple things. But when the pattern gets too complex one has to take a step back and refocus on the basics.

Such is the irony of the human mind.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Post by buds » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm

ImMeeMee wrote:My latest. Japanese sashiko embroidery. Basic running stitch built on the concept of symmetry. Great fun but needs patience and perseverance.

This is really pretty, ImMeeMee.

I suppose you find handiwork like this therapeutic. I can stitch and sew manually and with a machine, tried knitting, cross stitch but I don't really enjoy these activities and personally I find that I'm not very nimble.

I am better with craft, scrap booking, working with paper, boards, felt and the likes. Few years back, picked up baking and never looked back. It offers both aroma plus the therapeutic aura - best kinda aromatherapy available. Lol. :lol:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:75

Post by ngl2010 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:10 pm

:udawoman:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:17 pm

So beautiful, ImMeeMee! Thanks to you I learn something new today. :)