4 SG50 Actual Day NDP Tickets for the Family

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

4 SG50 Actual Day NDP Tickets for the Family

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 pm

We are incredibly lucky to get our hands on a set of SG50 Actual Day NDP tickets for a family of 4. Much as we wanted to go ourselves, we thought that it would be better to give them to a deserving family who is able to share their thoughts on what SG50 means to them in the best possible way.

To participate in this event, please submit your entries simply by posting to this thread. The post that garners the most number of LIKES from the community by 12pm 30 July 2015 will be the winner of the set of tickets.

Your post MUST start with the following words:

Title: What SG50 means to me

Others are allowed to comment and add to this thread, but their posts that do not contain the above statement will not be considered as entries to the contest.

You may submit multiple entries, but each entry will be based on its own merit, and you cannot accumulate LIKES from multiple entries.

Please do NOT share your personal details (eg. Name, NRIC) in public. We only need those details from the winner for verification upon collection. The contest is open to ALL KiasuParents.com members except staff and their families. Plagiarism will be grounds for disqualification, so please pen down only your original thoughts on how this special day that crowns our 50 years of nation-building has impacted you.

The community is also encouraged to Like as many of the participating posts as they can. Users are allowed to Like up to 10 posts per day. Each user who supported the winning post will win 500 KiasuPoints at the end of the contest! So please show your support for the participants who have put in their effort in penning down words from their heart for our Singapore.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

3 people like this post

Re: 4 SG50 Actual Day NDP Tickets for the Family

Postby Imami » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:18 am

Aiya, like that no chance to win extra tickets for my family members... However, I have to agree that this is a more meaningful way to give away the tickets (compared to auctioning).

Erm.... Only members can submit? Member's child can?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xfx » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:03 am

Wah, sounds like social studies write up just that this has no words limitation :smile:

xfx
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby toddles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:10 am

Wow, it's incredibly generous of you to offer it up! Such coveted tickets, especially for this year. Ok, here goes.

Beyond the ubiquitous marketing, and slapping the logo onto everything anyone can think of, SG50 heralds a coming of age to me. Although it may sound hackneyed, my hope is that SG50 marks the cusp of a subtle yet certain shift in our nation's direction.

The previous 50 years and more, consisted of a struggle towards economic survival and attaining stability at all cost. In the next 50 years, whilst continuing to work hard and work smart, my dream is for our nation to be more compassionate, more inclusive, and more of a first-world city. In the way we run our politics and parliament, in the way we treat our foreign workers, in the way we care for the elderly and those less able amongst us.

We press forward, because kicking back and completely relaxing is not an option for us, given our geopolitical reality. But we look around us even as we pursue industry, and we will pull alongside those who fall behind, because that is what it means to be human, and that's solidarity as a nation.

So whilst our nation's 50th year of independence is a year of reflection, not least due to the passing of our founding Prime Minister in March this year, to me, it may also be a year of inflection, as we begin to pursue a better future relevant to our hopes and aspirations. This better future is not necessarily a more economically glorious one, but one in which we can hold our heads up high with regard to the way we treat our fellow-men and foreign workers, and one in which we have a strong assurance of what we stand for, and who we are as a nation, the people of the tiny, all-but-irrelevant, city-state of Singapore.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

66 people like this post

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:28 am

Imami wrote:Aiya, like that no chance to win extra tickets for my family members... However, I have to agree that this is a more meaningful way to give away the tickets (compared to auctioning).

Erm.... Only members can submit? Member's child can?

Actually, this has a higher chance of winning than a lucky draw amongst tens of thousands of people :). Just need a little more effort.

Anyone in your family can submit. The entries are only tied to your account. So you can get your kids, parents, grandparents, great grand auntie to write too. Just need to state who is doing the writing upfront. :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Laetitia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I recall the song that is dear to my heart and sing the Chorus:
"This is my country, this is my flag
This is my future, this is my life
This is my family, these are my friends
We are Singapore, Singaporeans".

I am proud the distance we have come from 50 years ago and I am glad to be a Singaporean.

Would love to bring my family to see this momentous event live with my Family.

Happy Birthday Singapore.....We Love You....

Laetitia
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

5 people like this post

Postby enqiqi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Title: What SG50 means to me?

The years that Singapore was free and the years my parents really lived their life safely. SG50 is about appreciation to what the country had done and about questioning through these years, what had we returned to the country.

I hope I can bring my parents to watch this spectacular parade to fulfill their dreams as they had not even gone once in their lifetime. I think its a good way for them to reminisce how Singapore turned from a small country to a big city. :)

enqiqi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

5 people like this post

Postby jessieyl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

If translates Singapore into a man, this man has lived his life to the fullest for 50 years. From downs to ups. Achieved so many things that not many people of his small physical size could achieve.
This year is especially significant because without reaching this milestone of 50 independent years and under the great leadership of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew, my family and I will not be enjoying a life of peace and tranquillity that most people in other countries are deprived of . SG50 allso will remind me of the passing of our great leader , Mr Lee Kuan Yew, which serves as a timely reminder that we , as Singaporeans , should unite with together and like him, continue to build a peaceful and prosperous Singapore for another 50 years for the sake of our future generations and not let his efforts in building Singapore go to waste.

jessieyl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

4 people like this post

Postby irbasg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:11 pm

What SG50 means to me

I came from a country that only celebrated our independence day with demonstrations (for human rights), riots and violence which made me wonder what happened to our country and where was the sense of belonging and patriotism from our people....

The feeling I have for Singapore is very different. The government are fully respected by the people. Our founding father LKY whom I greatly respect and admire had given his time, heart, dedication, sweat and blood to groom Singapore from a third world country to a fully developed country.

SG50 means that the sacrifice and dedication that LKY had given to this nation must be maintained or improved by the future leaders. We're not stopping here, but looking forward to celebrate our country year after year with a grateful heart and happiness and it will be pass down to all our generations. Happy 50th birthday Singapore. Keep up the great work! :rahrah:

irbasg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

5 people like this post

Re: What SG50 means to me

Postby alanfoo07 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:21 pm

HI All,

I am a true blue, born and bred Singapoean. (so are my folks).

SG50 is a milestone, for us Singaporeans , as a family, as a unit. We are faced with uncertainties today. Terror threats, uncertain economy , unstable world relations. But i am glad, that we as Singaporeans , have been resilient, not only towards outside forces, but towards ourselves. We have stood the test of times, as evident that we are celebrating 50 years as a nation. We have pulled through all before us, the many financial , medical, terror crisises. We have all stood tall, banded together and fought it all out. and we have prevailed, emerged stronger and tougher, ready for the next challenge.

What it means to me, is that no matter what happens in the future, i can safely sleep at night, because SG50 will not happen without the people. for the next 50 years, till we celebrate SG100, i am assured of 1 thing, that our future generation will pick up the mantle, and do as we did. band together and face all uncertainties as they come. That, to me, is what SG50 really means to me. For i am proud of us Singaporeans ! For i am proud of what we have achieved, what we can achieve. Together, we can be stronger ! Importantly, I am truly proud to be Singaporean !
Last edited by alanfoo07 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanfoo07
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

3 people like this post

Next

Return to Recess Time