Kids knowing their dialects. What is your take?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:113

Re: Kids knowing their dialects. What is your take?

Post by lee_yl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:56 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm
:rotflmao:

maybe few dialects..kids to draw lots..

SHHK : What is your name? (in Canto)
Xiao Ming: Ngo hei xiu ming.
SHHK : How old are you?
Xiao Ming: luk sui (6 yo)
SHHK: What is your hobby?
Xiao Ming: teck ball (football)
Wow, an-tee ho impressed with siu meng! Lol.

What does it mean to be a Hokkien? Continuing to upkeep the traditions? Knowing the dialect? After all, SHHK is meant to ensure the continuity of the Hokkien culture and how to effectively achieve this without the use of the dialect?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:19 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:56 pm
MrsKiasu wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm

maybe few dialects..kids to draw lots..

SHHK : What is your name? (in Canto)
Xiao Ming: Ngo hei xiu ming.
SHHK : How old are you?
Xiao Ming: luk sui (6 yo)
SHHK: What is your hobby?
Xiao Ming: teck ball (football)
Wow, an-tee ho impressed with siu meng! Lol.

What does it mean to be a Hokkien? Continuing to upkeep the traditions? Knowing the dialect? After all, SHHK is meant to ensure the continuity of the Hokkien culture and how to effectively achieve this without the use of the dialect?
an-tee arh, ngo, siu ming only know half pail canto arh..can ask huay kuan an-tee teach ngo hokkien mah?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 am

Cantonese Huay Kuan here not as high profile as Hokkien Huay Kuan here. My Cantonese also half pail lah. I picked it up while watching the HK serials on TV3 with my grandma last time.

Actually ok what, half pail water is more than adequate to understand what the other party is trying to say. And I think there’s no need to be super proficient in it.

When I was in Teochew village, I noticed their Teochew was quite different from our local style (in terms of vocabulary), theirs like singing opera while talking whereas ours seems to have infused with a bit of Malay and Hokkien words here and there.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:177

Post by floppy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:39 am

Forcing children to learn dialect / to be interviewed in dialect would run contrary to Singapore’s mother tongue policy. Ah gong says Chinese mother tongue is Mandarin / Chinese / Putonghua.

Notwithstanding, the clan associations do run dialect classes for children and adults. Eg
https://www.shhkca.com.sg/hokkienclass
My own clan association also run similar dialect classes

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 am

Both objectives are not mutually exclusive, learning dialects may even facilitate the learning of Chinese and better help the younger generations to stay rooted.

Even in China, despite more than 50 years of putonghua policy, the various provinces, especially the Southern ones, still use dialects extensively.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:17 am

Don’t get me wrong. I agree both subjects are mutually exclusive and can co-exist.

However, to enforce interview in dialect (although I understand the suggestion was made in jest) means it will side step the dialect policy in Singapore.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:30 am

MrsKiasu wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 pm
I like cantonese too..what a pity if our next next generation maybe dont speak dialects anymore..already now we mostly speak dialects with our family members only.
hubby and I speak cantonese to our parents. even my father has to 'switch channel' and speak to the kids in English.

ah gong said go bilingual in order to be buddy with china. but I find it such a pity our kids don't understand mother tongue (which is not mandarin but the dialect).

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 am

lee_yl wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 am
Both objectives are not mutually exclusive, learning dialects may even facilitate the learning of Chinese and better help the younger generations to stay rooted.

Even in China, despite more than 50 years of putonghua policy, the various provinces, especially the Southern ones, still use dialects extensively.
in china, those in Beijing will speak mandarin. different province will still speak their cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, Shanghainese etc. my aunt told me there is discrimination if the chinese speak mandarin in Shanghai or canton.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm

janet88 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:30 am
ah gong said go bilingual in order to be buddy with china. but I find it such a pity our kids don't understand mother tongue (which is not mandarin but the dialect).
I don’t think Ah Gong has that much foresight and that much credit TBH.

When China adopted a modern system of education in the early 1900s, Chinese schools in Singapore were also set up following a similar model (e.g. Tao Nan, The Chinese High School). By that time, Mandarin had already replaced the Chinese dialects as a medium of instruction in schools. Thus, it makes sense for the early G and for a matter of convenience to adopt the same medium of instruction used by vernacular schools. It also makes sense for Singapore to have a common language to communicate to a disparate ethnic group because the various Chinese dialects are mutually intelligible.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Hokkien? What's that? Presumably you mean the Xiamen or Southern Fujian (闽南) dialect? :siam: