SG50 - Recap Superstitions or Customs??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

SG50 - Recap Superstitions or Customs??

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am

These days, as modern parents, we may not have continued some of the old superstitions/customs our parents' generation used to impose on us. However, it is still good for our kids to understand how we have grown up in those SG50 years, either to connect to our lifestyles then or our parents' lifestyle. Kids are so buried into their gadgets these days....so perhaps such a topic can gain their attention when talking to the old folks and getting a flavour of how we used to live. It also gives an idea how we can read up so easily on the Internet these days to understand if something is true or a superstition but our older folks did not have that benefit then, so cannot blame their mindset. Superstition strikes when we are desperate for a solution.....

Let me start with one I find quite absurd even when I was a child as I watched my sibling went through it....*yuck*

Whenever something unbecoming struck a child, especially mysterious illness that science has not uncovered, you would see adults rushing to the temple at 四马路 to pray for a solution. Then a monk would draw some strange pictures or unreadable characters on a vertical piece of yellow paper and asked the adults to bring it home, burn it and then put it into water and get the child to drink the water with the yellow paper (“hu" in Hokkien) ash in it. This was supposed to guarantee a cure for the strange illness. Thank God I did not have to drink it but my siblings did and I watched in horror.... :lol:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: SG50 - Recap Superstitions or Customs??

Postby sinoboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:28 am

sushi88 wrote:These days, as modern parents, we may not have continued some of the old superstitions/customs our parents' generation used to impose on us. However, it is still good for our kids to understand how we have grown up in those SG50 years, either to connect to our lifestyles then or our parents' lifestyle. Kids are so buried into their gadgets these days....so perhaps such a topic can gain their attention when talking to the old folks and getting a flavour of how we used to live. It also gives an idea how we can read up so easily on the Internet these days to understand if something is true or a superstition but our older folks did not have that benefit then, so cannot blame their mindset. Superstition strikes when we are desperate for a solution.....

Let me start with one I find quite absurd even when I was a child as I watched my sibling went through it....*yuck*

Whenever something unbecoming struck a child, especially mysterious illness that science has not uncovered, you would see adults rushing to the temple at 四马路 to pray for a solution. Then a monk would draw some strange pictures or unreadable characters on a vertical piece of yellow paper and asked the adults to bring it home, burn it and then put it into water and get the child to drink the water with the yellow paper (“hu" in Hokkien) ash in it. This was supposed to guarantee a cure for the strange illness. Thank God I did not have to drink it but my siblings did and I watched in horror.... :lol:

To the people who benefitted from the procedure, they dare not say its absurd. :sweat:

Curious to know. So what happened to your siblings who drank the concoction? Did the condition worsen? :scratchhead:

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Despite our parents not having the time to keep an eye on us playing outside the home and we are free to roam wherever we want, we rarely venture beyond "screaming" distance. The stories about how little children's heads are used to "strengthen" bridges and other construction works are enough to keep us kids honest then.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 pm

sinoboy wrote:To the people who benefitted from the procedure, they dare not say its absurd. :sweat:

Curious to know. So what happened to your siblings who drank the concoction? Did the condition worsen? :scratchhead:

Well, I could not see anything visible happening to them, but what went on inside their bodies when they were growing, I would not know. :wink: As to whether they recovered eventually because of drinking the ash water or due to resting enough, your guess is as good as mine... :smile: For the adults then, as long as no one perished from drinking the ash water, they would continue to believe in it.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:00 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Despite our parents not having the time to keep an eye on us playing outside the home and we are free to roam wherever we want, we rarely venture beyond "screaming" distance. The stories about how little children's heads are used to "strengthen" bridges and other construction works are enough to keep us kids honest then.

Oh yes, my siblings and I had been threatened by the same thing. If we ran too far away and got caught, our heads would be used for the bridges.... so there was a playground nearby, we dared not venture there at all for a long time until one day the temptation was so super strong that we broke the spell of the bridge superstition and never looked back... haha

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:03 pm

I would say something. But then, I will be accused of offending somebody's religion(s). :siam:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:10 pm

This superstition as supposed to be for both boys and girls...something regarding future spouse?

The adults like to taunt us about looking into the future...in hindsight, I wondered what was the purpose, to test if we would be rebellious to go and try or test who were the curious kids? :?

We were told that if we were to peel an apple with a knife in front of the mirror at midnight, we would see our future spouse's face....

Then one day one of my cousins tried, again could not resist temptation.....Viola....nothing happened.... :lol: Think he should count himself lucky not to cut his fingers with the knife. :heresmyfish:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:13 pm

I was told to finish everything on my plate, especially the rice. Otherwise spouse will have pock marks. Hold chopsticks too high up means will marry far far away.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:13 pm

pirate wrote:I would say something. But then, I will be accused of offending somebody's religion(s). :siam:

Use your most diplomatic self to share please... :lol: Actually I find superstitions quite fun to test out on the kids and see their responses. When the days we had no Internet, we had so much fun with superstitions... :rotflmao: Now it is a thing of the past even...

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:16 pm

bb_ mom wrote:I was told to finish everything on my plate, especially the rice. Otherwise spouse will have pock marks. Hold chopsticks too high up means will marry far far away.

Oh yes, the pock marks story was so hilarious... :rotflmao:
This marry far far theory was for girls right? Guys marry the wife back so the chopstick should have no effect? :?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time