Why students enroll in tuition?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Why students enroll in tuition?

Postby happypapa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Almost every kid I know is enrolled in tuition. But a friend is hesitant to enroll his kid in tuition because of high cost even tho the kid requested it. I made him read this article for better understanding.

http://kidsakit.com/why-do-students-need-tuition/

happypapa
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Why students enroll in tuition?

Postby pirated » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Who is sandy Goh ?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am

totally agree with this.

Lastly, to learn from a better teaching ability of a teacher. Sometimes, a student and a teacher aren’t just compatible together. There are certain teaching practices that are not suitable for some students. It is just the way it is. Thus, tutors are there to guide students through a different academic methodology that can potentially enhance their learning.

the standard method of teaching in school may not be understood by all students. tutors have their way to help the child understand better.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:08 pm

happypapa wrote:Almost every kid I know is enrolled in tuition. But a friend is hesitant to enroll his kid in tuition because of high cost even tho the kid requested it. I made him read this article for better understanding.

http://kidsakit.com/why-do-students-need-tuition/

But I think cost is also an important consideration. I don't think it is right for parents to feel they MUST send the child for tuition they feel they cannot afford. :skeptical: In fact if you think about some of the fees being charged, it is clearly ridiculous if you take a step back and consider how much professionals in other fields are being paid on an hourly basis.

However I agree that children need more support these days and this can come from school or non-branded tuition centers.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 pm

ammonite wrote:
However I agree that children need more support these days and this can come from school or non-branded tuition centers.

cost is an important factor...the child clearly requires tuition if he/she is unable to get the support from school. branded tuition centres do not work for every child...even if it does, parents have to consider the sky high fees.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GTGT » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:31 pm

janet88 wrote:
ammonite wrote:

cost is an important factor...the child clearly requires tuition if he/she is unable to get the support from school. branded tuition centres do not work for every child...even if it does, parents have to consider the sky high fees.

Actually, I find that most parents can coach their own children, if we talk about knowledge. However, they may lack the confidences.

I have some friends who are able to coach themselves however they still outsource out due to peer pressure.

If we parents have more confidence in ourselves, our children will also have more confidences in their own capabilities and will not rely on tuition for the rest of their study years.

More about self-coaching on my website: http://mytutorismum.blogspot.sg/

GTGT
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:46 pm

GTGT wrote:Actually, I find that most parents can coach their own children, if we talk about knowledge. However, they may lack the confidences.

I coach my own, so I agree. But I do know some parents cannot coach due to time constraints or personality clash. There is also a group who find the work hard even at primary school level.

Teachers can be a great source of help. I have had my problems with teachers, but there are also those who are extremely dedicated and coach the weaker students after normal school hours. Rather than run for tuition at the first instance, I do encourage parents to first call up the teachers to have a better understanding of their children's issues. And of course, teachers will be more willing to help cooperative hardworking students, that is only human nature.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JS rolling » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:19 pm

I totally agree with all your comments, like cost is a factor, parents can coach but it is not for all, and tuition is needed for additional support. Believe it or not, my wife and I have tried so many options considering all these. Just a tip, a branded tuition centre is not the answer. finding the right support is trial and error but there are a lot of options. We are glad we found our perfect tutor for our daughter. She learns more on one-on-one coaching.

In tuition, either group or private, students are limited, which means a tutor can specifically identify and address the learning gap of each student and then conceptualize and tailor a teaching approach that the student’s abilities require. Also, in a tuition setup, there is more interaction time between a student and a teacher,

JS rolling
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby limlim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:06 pm

wonder what font they use..

Anyway, I feel tuition just makes the kids more dependent and less independent.. which is not a good thing.

MRT breakdown, pay money ask foreign experts

SGH outbreak? pay money ask foreign expert.

When can the "elite" learn to solve things on their own..

Only once Sg managed to solve things on their own is the SARS outbreak and the development of the thermal scanner.. that was truly remarkable. I am guessing these pple doesn't depend on tuition much in their schooling days.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlueBells » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:33 pm

Students don't enroll themselves in tuition per se. It is their parents who enroll them because of the parents' mentality most of the time.

Sometimes, it is a need versus want issue; but who's need? Who's want?

No doubt, there is a small percentage of children who really need the extra help, but majority of them really don't ....

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time