Pencils - recycle?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Pencils - recycle?

Postby acforfamily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 pm

What do you do with pencils that have become too short to use?

Is there any way to reuse them in another way? I find it so wasteful to throw away almost a third of the pencil. I wonder how many trees we kill? But other than giving it to small kids with smaller hands, what can be done? Do they actually recycle it if we dump them into the recycling bins?

I remembered that a long time ago, we used to have a kind of metallic pencil holder. But I also remember that it doesn't work very well. Does anyone know anything new contraption nowadays?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:43 pm

My DD reduce the length to about an inch and keeps them in a jar. Rather cute to look at. She has a jar full of very short pencils and it is sort of her hobby then. Now she is using mechanical pencils.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pecalis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I look for some pen cover that can fit into the pencil and lengthen the pencil a little more. Just my DIY way of maximising the use of the pencil :)

Not sure if this helps???

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 am

they are known as pencil extender. Just did a google, there seems to be a number of choices available, but whether can locate in shops here is another.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

the pencil extender seems to be common in japan so mebbe can search in jap-oriented shops? my dd1 received 1 as part of a stationery set and i didn't know what it was for. since she got it at a jap gathering for kids, i asked my then jap teacher and he demo-ed for me. dd1 used it for a while but lately she just keeps it at home somewhere. i agree tt it's a very handy tool.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am

schellen wrote:the pencil extender seems to be common in japan so mebbe can search in jap-oriented shops? my dd1 received 1 as part of a stationery set and i didn't know what it was for. since she got it at a jap gathering for kids, i asked my then jap teacher and he demo-ed for me. dd1 used it for a while but lately she just keeps it at home somewhere. i agree tt it's a very handy tool.

I've seen some in daiso.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Andaiz wrote:
schellen wrote:the pencil extender seems to be common in japan so mebbe can search in jap-oriented shops? my dd1 received 1 as part of a stationery set and i didn't know what it was for. since she got it at a jap gathering for kids, i asked my then jap teacher and he demo-ed for me. dd1 used it for a while but lately she just keeps it at home somewhere. i agree tt it's a very handy tool.

I've seen some in daiso.

ah gd, cheap ones. i hope they're easy to use cos the one dd1 has is metal and a bit stiff when we try to unscrew it sometimes.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby plum-cake » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

in daiso every thing is $2 right? you can buy a pack of pencils for $2. unless the pencil have some sentimental value to keep.

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

plum-cake wrote:in daiso every thing is $2 right? you can buy a pack of pencils for $2. unless the pencil have some sentimental value to keep.

i think we just feel that it's a waste to throw away the pencils when they get too short to be held properly yet still can be used.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby acforfamily » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 pm

schellen wrote:
plum-cake wrote:in daiso every thing is $2 right? you can buy a pack of pencils for $2. unless the pencil have some sentimental value to keep.

i think we just feel that it's a waste to throw away the pencils when they get too short to be held properly yet still can be used.

I agree. I will take a look at daiso. But probably has to be quite user friendly, else my $2 will be wasted too if my son does not want to use it..

Thanks everyone for the information!

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time