At what age do you allow your kids to go out on their own?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

At what age do you allow your kids to go out on their own?

Postby limlim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Just curious.

At what age is your kids independent enough to make their way around nearby places using public transport (bus/MRT)?

Excluding School.

Say, making their way to enrichment classes etc.. What is your kid's age when you trust they are independent enough to make the trip on their own?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: At what age do you allow your kids to go out on their ow

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:19 pm

My matured elder son in p6 for tuition. He would search for the route and then confirm with his dad the day before the event For other places this year.
Last edited by jedamum on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 pm

I allowed my girls to use public transport to go to familiar places when they were around 11yo. Mostly together, but occasionally alone. Always during the day, and with a cell phone just in case.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dragonmummy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:22 am

I think for me, I will let my kids go out on their own at about sec 1...also depending on how savvy they are.

dragonmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mummy AY » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:21 am

In Japan where I live, children are expected to go to school on their own by public transport from P1! If accompanied by parents, the child and his or her parents will hear unfavorable comments from the form teacher ... hahaha ...

Anyway, I'll be back in SG soon ... think it's fine to let my 12 year old son run about by himself if it's around familiar places, as long as he has a phone with him ...

Mummy AY
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mummy AY » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Yes, children at the kindergarten are expected to feed themselves lunch (i.e. from age 3) ... at age 6, they would be finishing kindergarten and starting P1, where they would have to eat school lunches ... everyday lunch is cooked at school and eaten by all teachers and students ... I've had the chance to eat school lunch ~ a lot of effort goes into planning each meal, and the one I ate wasn't so bad ... :smile:
I really wonder how Japanese mothers are not the least worried about letting their very young children walk the streets alone though ... :roll:

Mummy AY
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pineapple tarts » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Yes, my Japanese friend say P1! For me in Singapore would be sec 1.

pineapple tarts
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby b2b3m4 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:37 am

I allow dd to start moving around for her enrichment classes from P4 onwards. Her dance training was getting too intensive and there was no way for me to take leaves every time she has her practices.
Now she is in P5, she accompanies her P3 sister to class every week. I know many of her dance mates do that as well, many goes about taking buses to and fro from classes from P3 onwards.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 am

limlim wrote:Just curious.

At what age is your kids independent enough to make their way around nearby places using public transport (bus/MRT)?

Excluding School.

Say, making their way to enrichment classes etc.. What is your kid's age when you trust they are independent enough to make the trip on their own?

How is going to school different from going to enrichment classes?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:53 am

Normally I would let my P4, P5 kid go for class at the CC on their own. They would take a bus there and walk back or take a bus (need to cross the road).

Last weekend, weather was quite wet. On the way there, there's only short distance from the CC to the bus stop that is not sheltered. But for the way back, they would need to cross the road twice (at the CC side and my place side).

I was worried that there might be heavy rain when they are on their way back. So I told them that if the rain is heavy, take the alternative route, which is to take the bus from the bus stop that they alight (short walking distance), alight 1 bus stop later at the MRT station. Take the MRT towards the east direction and alight one stop later, then take a bus and alight one stop later, at the bus stop where they board the bus when they go for the lesson.

Then the P5 told me don't know how to take MRT.....

Guess I need to conduct MRT training for them soon..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time