How do you deal with arrogant/how lian people around you?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How do you deal with arrogant/how lian people around you?

Postby auntieM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Just wondering if you guys out there have any encounters with people that just can't stop bragging and you can't just walk away kind..... Close friends' spouses, kid's friends/classmates's parents, relatives,neighbours....etc. Sometimes, really frustrating but cannot 'siam'(avoid) leh :stupid:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 pm

I used to report to someone that likes to brag.

And he loves to call people into his room to hear him brag, each session can last for half a day (till lunch time or end of work day).

I treated his stories as what they are, fictional stories and just enjoy them. What I hated more was having to work OT to make up the lost time.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby auntieM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Wah! Lucky it was 'used to'..... .. I always kena but not for that long duration!
When I can 'siam' like at enrichment centre, I put on headsets and wear sunglasses,then play with hp..... I know it is really silly but it works most of the time. Plan fails when that person stand right in front of u and signal :cry:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: How do you deal with arrogant/how lian people around you

Postby mango » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

auntieM wrote:Just wondering if you guys out there have any encounters with people that just can't stop bragging and you can't just walk away kind..... Close friends' spouses, kid's friends/classmates's parents, relatives,neighbours....etc. Sometimes, really frustrating but cannot 'siam'(avoid) leh :stupid:

I have one. This relative of mine, whenever my baby reaches a milestone(like sitting up, crawling) she will make a comment "your baby just learns to do this huh? Mine can do it when she is only xx months".

mango
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby auntieM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I have one. This relative of mine, whenever my baby reaches a milestone(like sitting up, crawling) she will make a comment "your baby just learns to do this huh? Mine can do it when she is only xx months".

Yah lor, so pek chek right! Snap back at them later say we rude, and worse still have to meet and greet one.

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mintcc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:51 am

yes... relative of mine brags about everything from her superb cooking (really quite good lah) and superb handling of grand kids to her superb work performance, way of handling err... everything.. and about everything she owns....And she can talk non stop, unencouraged.

I usually pay attention for like 30 secs then switch off....play with DS....or try to get her to switch her attention to DS. But now that DS growing bigger he also give her the spaced out look when she yada yada away...must try that handphone idea...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 am

auntieM wrote:When I can 'siam' like at enrichment centre, I put on headsets and wear sunglasses,then play with hp..... I know it is really silly but it works most of the time. Plan fails when that person stand right in front of u and signal :cry:

That's why I do not engage or start any 'friendly' chats with the parents of other kids when I pick my son up from enrichment classes or when I'm waiting outside for him.

On Saturday, we just experienced parents gossiping about my boy. They did not notice that we were standing behind the pillar (avoiding small talk with them) and started talking so loudly about my boy. Thankfully, it's nothing bad. My maid was so worried that they'll say something bad cos she was so prepared with her umbrella to confront them!

The kids pick up this 'bragging' from their parents and they do think and behave like they are the smartest and are so 'high & mighty'. They even brag during lessons and tease other students who are slower!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 am

likewise I do not like to engage in smalltalk with parents of other children at my DS's former childcare, enrichment class and now primary school.

Not only to avoid the "bragging" but also to avoid feeling stressed. I "kena" a few :shock: when I told them i did not signed up my DS for this & that. Or they would asked why i chose that in their opinion "not-so-good" child care. :P

Luckily, I do not have any close relatives that brags.

Only my MIL likes to make comparison remarks between my DS and my niece.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 am

mango wrote:I have one. This relative of mine, whenever my baby reaches a milestone(like sitting up, crawling) she will make a comment "your baby just learns to do this huh? Mine can do it when she is only xx months".

hope it is not a close relative that you meet regualrly.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 am

For me, depends on my mood that day, if I feel like challenging them or just zip up my mouth. :lol: :lol:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time