Free Car Park at School

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Free Car Park at School

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 am

Curious_me wrote: And then the new teachers-to-pay-for parking in sch rule....really leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Oh that will leave some bad taste in the mouths of other civil servants and stat board servants working in other office buildings, will it not? Mind you, some ministries used to be located within private office buildings.

I don't think the parking charges will be that high for teachers. It's ppty owned by MOE right? Take the MND building@Maxwell for instance. It's comparatively lower than say MFA which used to be at Raffles City.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Appeal Secondary One Posting

Postby floppy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:57 am

jetsetter wrote:
Curious_me wrote: And then the new teachers-to-pay-for parking in sch rule....really leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Oh that will leave some bad taste in the mouths of other civil servants and stat board servants working in other office buildings, will it not? Mind you, some ministries used to be located within private office buildings.

I don't think the parking charges will be that high for teachers. It's ppty owned by MOE right? Take the MND building@Maxwell for instance. It's comparatively lower than say MFA which used to be at Raffles City.

It's also a bad taste in the mouths of teachers who choose to take public transport or cycle to work (yah, many do) :lol:

I would assume that a reasonable amount would be either $32.50 or $65.00 a month, i.e. the amount for a normal HDB family season parking ticket or season parking ticket, given that most of the schools are in HDB heartlands.

P/S: by the same token, I hope charges can be imposed on army personnel who drive their vehicles into camp. It's the same school of reasoning after all :evil:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:51 pm

floppy wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Oh that will leave some bad taste in the mouths of other civil servants and stat board servants working in other office buildings, will it not? Mind you, some ministries used to be located within private office buildings.

It's also a bad taste in the mouths of teachers who choose to take public transport or cycle to work (yah, many do) :lol:

I would assume that a reasonable amount would be either $32.50 or $65.00 a month, i.e. the amount for a normal HDB family season parking ticket or season parking ticket, given that most of the schools are in HDB heartlands.

P/S: by the same token, I hope charges can be imposed on army personnel who drive their vehicles into camp. It's the same school of reasoning after all :evil:

I think MOE are well aware that this would be an unpopular move, but the AG has reasons for pointing this out (which I can sort of understand), and I guess MOE need to pay it attention. At the end of the day I don't see that the MOE needs this to be revenue generating.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:43 pm

By the same token on carpark charges for teachers parking in school - MOE should reimburse taxi fares for teachers who need to travel for cluster meetings, pay overtime pay to teachers who stay back to counsel students, marking extra scripts in exam prep, remedial lessons etc. if the students write essay longer than minimum word counts, teachers ought to be compensated for having to incur extra time to mark and grade. Teachers should also be compensated for taking calls from parents, answering emails from parents, conducting CCA etc

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:45 pm

And wait ... please pay to use toilets in schools as well, and those using toilet papers must pay more hor

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:53 pm

pirated wrote:By the same token on carpark charges for teachers parking in school - MOE should reimburse taxi fares for teachers who need to travel for cluster meetings, pay overtime pay to teachers who stay back to counsel students, marking extra scripts in exam prep, remedial lessons etc. if the students write essay longer than minimum word counts, teachers ought to be compensated for having to incur extra time to mark and grade. Teachers should also be compensated for taking calls from parents, answering emails from parents, conducting CCA etc

Not trying to get into a spat here, and I fully understand why such a move on parking charges would come across as being petty and rigid, but I think one also needs to give due consideration to the AG's position on the matter. Nobody will be making big bucks on imposing parking charges and for sure they will be losing a ton of goodwill, but perhaps there is a core principle re ancillary benefits for civil servants that needs to be applied consistently? Just my thoughts.

Anyhow, OT.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joyymum » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Ok I agree that teachers should allow to claim transport allowances should they need to travel for cluster meetings or attend courses. However, it does not make sense why teachers need to be paid extra for marking long essays and giving remedials. The job of a teacher is to bring out the best of their students right? If the students need extra guidance shouldn't she/he gives remedials? This is the responsibilities of a teacher. You mean the teachers are not aware of these before joining MOE?

Why didn't you mention how good it is that teachers also get to enjoy the long school holidays ? Received many presents on Teachers' day ? :roll:

Joyymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:30 pm

3Boys wrote:
pirated wrote:By the same token on carpark charges for teachers parking in school - MOE should reimburse taxi fares for teachers who need to travel for cluster meetings, pay overtime pay to teachers who stay back to counsel students, marking extra scripts in exam prep, remedial lessons etc. if the students write essay longer than minimum word counts, teachers ought to be compensated for having to incur extra time to mark and grade. Teachers should also be compensated for taking calls from parents, answering emails from parents, conducting CCA etc

Not trying to get into a spat here, and I fully understand why such a move on parking charges would come across as being petty and rigid, but I think one also needs to give due consideration to the AG's position on the matter. Nobody will be making big bucks on imposing parking charges and for sure they will be losing a ton of goodwill, but perhaps there is a core principle re ancillary benefits for civil servants that needs to be applied consistently? Just my thoughts.

Anyhow, OT.

pirated: you mean this FB post by the ex-teacher?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/free-school-parking-debate-former-teachers-facebook-post-about-transparency-goes

I was going "Oh c'mon..." Hope other ministries' staff and working adults can come out to share their OOPs too.

"Too lecheh to do AOR, ITQ, and then go through Gebiz and evaluation plus endless meetings with KP/AM/P", i.e. to log on to claim? Hmmm...but bottom-line is you are entitled to claim.

Next, "OT" only applies to teachers? Have you looked up at the office buildings occupied by other stat boards and ministries at night, and those at Raffles Place, MBFC?

Ever heard of WhatsApp to alert parents about the school closure due to Haze or whatever? What? Why must call one by one?

Her point about using home internet to discuss with parents and co workers is puzzling. Not sure why she isn't using the company issued laptop (with VPN card). Maybe she is trying to claim for electricity. Many working adults in other sectors use their home/coy laptop to email and prepare reports after office hours too.

But regarding the use of WA at night, maybe MOE can put them on some subsidised data plan? Not every teacher has wifi at home.

Festive decor out of your own pocket? Employees, esp dept heads, in private sector also chip in to buy trims for the dept every year. Just too petty to claim.

Transport claim to get to your training provider's academy because you've been nominated by your superiors? :slapshead: Many workers, regardless of pte or public, hv been paying for their own transport to get to whichever training centre they've been asked to go. Nobody ever claims, not even sending your co-workers home all over the island!

Claim labour fees for moving tables and chairs? What is she talking about? I also carry extra chairs into meeting rooms and help to reconfigure my mtg room setting, ok. tsk.

And upset about paying out of one's pocket to buy Children's Day gift? but teachers also receive Teacher's Day gifts, no? Employees of other sectors are also expected to buy Christmas gifts for the entire department, and treats for those who covered our duties when we return from overseas trips or own hols.

Anyway, floppy, u might be right. It won't be that expensive since it's in the heartlands, but AGO's report showed ITE did not charge users for its carpark, and the estimated amount of parking fees forgone was $66,000 a month.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/should-teachers-continue-to-get-free-parking-in-schools-education-ministry

If they are still so upset, complain to the singapore teachers' union before it's cast in stone.

:offtopic: Back to appeals.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Free Car Park at School

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm

this AMK ITE, i am puzzled since last yr abt the free parking, my frens staying
around there are happy to go ntuc , popular ,food shopping. ... since this is open to public , it should charge since long time ago...

but about sch charging parking... i am not a "cher" of course not, but i do "frown" on their behalf :laugh: .. seem a bit 斤斤计较 to teachers , or mayb moe/agd wana convert the open space parking lots to shop spaces /eateries to earn rental :rotflmao: so creative n think out of box . :wink: .. ok ok i shudup n go drink my afternoon kopi now

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Irrelevant » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:22 pm

3Boys wrote:I think MOE are well aware that this would be an unpopular move, but the AG has reasons for pointing this out (which I can sort of understand), and I guess MOE need to pay it attention. At the end of the day I don't see that the MOE needs this to be revenue generating.

So do you reckon AG thinks schools should charge for hot water? Why? :wink:

P.S. Incidentally, I have worked at various companies whereby car park charges are: a.payable; b.not payable c.not payable because of my rank.

Irrelevant
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time