[Poll]Should there be more accountability in teaching?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Should there be more accountability in teaching?

Yes, to a large extent.
42%
Yes, to a moderate extent.
17%
Status quo.
33%
No, accountability should be moderately reduced.
No votes
No, accountability should be largely reduced.
8%

Total votes : 12

[Poll]Should there be more accountability in teaching?

Postby havok_ex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:16 pm

There has been something I've been curious about as of late. It started with the debate surrounding the carpark issue. This led to people comparing teaching to other noble jobs such as medicine or engineering. But for the latter, there is a large amount of scrutiny and accountability. Patients can sue doctors for malpractice. Doctors can risk losing their license if the perform a procedure wrongly. Engineers can also risk being charged if they are found to be negligent in their work.

If all these other important jobs are held to a certain level of scrutiny and accountability, should teachers also be subject to more scrutiny?

What about the Shuqun Secondary bully case? The teacher was aware of the bullying for awhile but failed to act on it. The bullying that was caught on camera happened in a classroom where parents are assured that students will be safe. Should the school and teacher be reprimanded for what occured?

I saw a conversation on another forum whereby a supposed teacher told another former who got into local university to be grateful to MOE teachers for getting the results he had that enabled him to get there. If teachers should be credited for successes, should they also share the blame if there are failures? Especially in the recent case of the RI students. Of which only 1 in 10 managed to go to JC.

Conversely however, if we were to scrutinise teachers even more, less people would join the teaching fraternity as the heavy responsibility might "scare" them away. Too much accountability would just shift more burden to teachers and parents might feel that it is the teacher's job to discipline/teach/babysit all at the same time.

This post is not to "pass judgement" upon teachers. But I really want to get a sense of what people feel about this.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: [Poll]Should there be more accountability in teaching?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:27 am

Of course they should be accountable, but not for results. My view is that just as we should measure our children's performance by the effort they put in, by how they apply themselves etc, we should use similar measures for teachers. They should be measured by what they do to transmit knowledge and values, what they do to inspire their students to learn and behave well, what actions they take to show care to their students, etc., but not whether their students do well or badly. Or if results need to be taken into account, it should be a measure of "value-added"-ness. It should take into account whether the teacher starts off with A grade students and then produces more A grades (so not much difference), or starts off with C grade students and produces B grades (good improvement), or starts off with A grades students and produces B grades (poor), or starts off with failing students and gets them to C grades (excellent!). Just my opinion.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 am

Just because the clinical outcome is not the one desired does not necessarily mean that there was malpractice on the part of the doctor.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 am

Is it really possible to sue doctors in Singapore? To sue a doctor for malpractice, you need another doctor to write a report on the errant doctor's practice, and no doctor is willing to risk losing their friends or acquaintances by doing that. So technically, you can sue a doctor but realistically, it is not possible, at least not in Singapore. Accountability in the medical field (to the patients) is very lacking in Singapore, in fact. The fault can be as obvious as anything but there's nothing you can do to a doctor who does wrong.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:02 pm

OT: I think to sue a doc is possible esp for rich pple who can seek 2nd, 3rd opinion from medical experts on possible claims on the 1st doc etc.
For laymen, maybe accept it is fate.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Just because the student did not get A doesn't mean the teacher did anything wrong.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 pm

pirate wrote:Just because the clinical outcome is not the one desired does not necessarily mean that there was malpractice on the part of the doctor.

Aye pirate, absolutely right.
Doctors are not assessed by how well they perform. They can only be "sued" if they have been negligent . Or did not follow protocols.

A doctors popularity is determined by how good he is. Teaching in schools is not such a commercial profession.And very importantly , One teacher to atleast 30 kids teaching probably more than one subject and also having additional CCA responsibility - how to even give customised "service " to kids. KPIs for teacher should be very different cannot be compared to standards expected of doctors.

Accountability yes , i believe they are already accountable . In the Shuqun Secondary case, I think there was some action taken against the teacher.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CatMoon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 am

slmkhoo wrote: if results need to be taken into account, it should be a measure of "value-added"-ness. It should take into account whether the teacher starts off with A grade students and then produces more A grades (so not much difference), or starts off with C grade students and produces B grades (good improvement), or starts off with A grades students and produces B grades (poor), or starts off with failing students and gets them to C grades (excellent!). Just my opinion.

:goodpost:

Also depends very much on principals - those who believe in strong leadership.

I only realised how the lack of good leadership can affect both teachers and students - after my dd's principal left 3 years ago. Good leadership = Accountability.

Without good leadership, a "branded" school can quickly lose good teachers, even passionate ones. And IMO, that's when accountability flies out of the window.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 am

pirate wrote:Just because the student did not get A doesn't mean the teacher did anything wrong.

it takes 2 hands to clap. if the teacher has done his/her part, the student should also make the effort to revise or be proactive to ask if in doubt.

however, i feel that the principal does play a big part being the 'captain' of the ship.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 pm

More accountability in teaching?

Or more accountability by teachers?

Teachers are only one component in teaching.

How about accountability of parents, students?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time