smaller GRCs, more SMCs at next General Election

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

smaller GRCs, more SMCs at next General Election

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm

SINGAPORE: The size of Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) in Singapore should shrink by the next General Election, with more Single Member Constituencies created, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

"The GRC system is a good one, and we should keep it," he said in Parliament on Wednesday (Jan 27). But Singapore has to "strike the right balance" between the economies of scale of larger GRCs, and the closer MP-resident connection for smaller ones.

"The next general election is a long way off, and I don't want to raise excitement prematurely, but when in due course I appoint the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee, I will instruct it to reduce the average size of GRCs further, and to create more SMCs." ...........

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pm-lee-calls-for-smaller/2462168.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: smaller GRCs, more SMCs at next General Election

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am

tankee wrote:SINGAPORE: The size of Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) in Singapore should shrink by the next General Election, with more Single Member Constituencies created, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

"The GRC system is a good one, and we should keep it," he said in Parliament on Wednesday (Jan 27). But Singapore has to "strike the right balance" between the economies of scale of larger GRCs, and the closer MP-resident connection for smaller ones.

"The next general election is a long way off, and I don't want to raise excitement prematurely, but when in due course I appoint the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee, I will instruct it to reduce the average size of GRCs further, and to create more SMCs." ...........

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pm-lee-calls-for-smaller/2462168.html

Bold and generous suggestion by increasing to 12 NCMP posts by the PM.

But many political parties were still skeptical last night, from LTK (WP) to CSJ (SDP) to LT (NSP) to GMS (PPP). Except DPP's BP. Can understand because it's the best of both worlds for a small party like DPP. You can enter Parl to talk about anything under the sun, you can now vote on bills, you don't covet full MP allowance, you don't need to run town council, you don't need to meet the people...I think it's a good deal for aspiring parliamentarians.

PM wants more opp voices in Parl and probably understands many voters hesitated to vote for opp for fear of getting an inexperienced TC which might mess up their accounts. Not sure if PM is hinting to his folks to second DG's replacement of LLL's vacated NCMP post end of this week. We'll find out very soon!

Elected Prez eligibility is the next big thing to watch out for. If more than $100m paid up capital criteria is tightened, we won't see the likes of TCH, TSJ and TKL by the end of 2017.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time