Police investigating 'unnatural death' of 14-year-old boy

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Rights of Young Alleged Criminal

Postby hercules » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:47 pm

I was fuming with rage after reading this news.

My immediate conclusion is that the police have no brain and whether the parents have the rights to sue.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p ... ar-old-boy

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Police investigating 'unnatural death' of 14-year-old boy

Postby alng » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p ... tor=CS1-10

SINGAPORE - The police are investigating the death of a 14-year-old boy, after his body was found at the foot of a HDB block in Yishun on Tuesday (Jan 26) afternoon.

The boy, a secondary school student, had been taken to Ang Mo Kio Police Division earlier that day at about 11.30am to assist with investigations into an alleged criminal offence.

According to Shin Min Daily News, police officers went to his school while classes were going on.

The boy was questioned over a police report filed on Monday.

It is understood that the case is an alleged outrage of modesty. The boy's father, speaking to Shin Min, revealed that his son had been recently accused of molesting a girl.

In a statement issued on Wednesday night, the police said the boy's mother had been informed and updated of the status of the investigation at various stages.

The boy had cooperated fully with the investigation and was released on bail into his mother's custody at around 2.50pm on Tuesday, police said.

He had reportedly gone to his room upon returning home from the police station.

However, he was found dead beneath Block 316A Yishun Ave 9 - where he lived on the 14th floor - at 4.20pm.

In its statement, the police noted that the boy had not "exhibited any signs of being unduly distressed" throughout his two-hour engagement with them.

The death of the boy has been classified as a case of unnatural death.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Police investigating 'unnatural death' of 14-year-old bo

Postby alng » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Seriously, the police has to go to the school, straight into the classroom to bring a 14-year-old boy back to police station for investigation?

Many years ago, a colleague committed CBT and all the police did was to call him to go to the police station to assist in the investigation. The police did not even come to the company to take him away.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlueBells » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:10 pm

The police went to his school and took him out of school. Did not mention that the police went to his class.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Busymom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 pm

alng wrote:Seriously, the police has to go to the school, straight into the classroom to bring a 14-year-old boy back to police station for investigation?

Many years ago, a colleague committed CBT and all the police did was to call him to go to the police station to assist in the investigation. The police did not even come to the company to take him away.

The problem these days is, anybody could file a police report for the most trivial matter and the police would still have to investigate.

And I don't know if the police has a duty to inform the boy's parents before bringing him to the police station for investigation.

If he had been wrongly accused, it's really a sad outcome. :gloomy:

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Busymom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 pm

BlueBells wrote:The police went to his school and took him out of school. Did not mention that the police went to his class.

Key question for me is whether his parents were informed and whether their consent was obtained prior to interviewing him.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby alng » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:28 pm

I am not sure if parental consent is required. But if parents are informed, why can't they just ask the parents to bring the son to police station for investigation?

I also not sure if the police has gone straight into the classroom, but that is not important, going to a school to bring the boy out of school is already bad enough. Thought police should exercise extreme care in this.

Parents with teenagers as kids will know that teenagers are exceptionally bothered by what others think of them at this age.

Having said all these, I am not saying that the allegation is a small matter.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

am curious if police interview or whatever they call talking to a child, without parental involvement or in absence of lawyer, what's there to prevent coercion and will parents have assurance that child confess out of guilt or out of stress?

that said, this is a general remark and in no way am I casting doubts or guilt on any party. only those involved will know

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sparks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm

It pains me to read such news.

It looks serious enough for police to call up at his school & to have bail posted by his parents. I cannot imagine what he had gone through. I hope SPF will review their process when dealing with minors.

Really sad.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:52 pm

hquek wrote:am curious if police interview or whatever they call talking to a child, without parental involvement or in absence of lawyer, what's there to prevent coercion and will parents have assurance that child confess out of guilt or out of stress?

that said, this is a general remark and in no way am I casting doubts or guilt on any party. only those involved will know

Unfortunately, this is allowed for in our law, no matter how unfair we deem it :shrug:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time