Daily cleaning by students introduced in all schools

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Daily cleaning by students will be introduced in all schools
The move is intended to inculcate in students a sense of responsibility and good life habits, says MOE.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/daily-cleaning-by/2547644.html

SINGAPORE: Annual spring cleaning for the classroom or being rostered for weekly cleaning duty might be familiar to some, but now, the Ministry of Education (MOE) wants to make classroom cleaning a daily affair for students.

By the end of 2016, daily cleaning by students will be introduced in all schools, said Acting Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng on Thursday (Feb 25).

According to MOE, all schools from primary schools to junior colleges have autonomy in the implementation of daily cleaning. This covers common areas such as classrooms and corridors, and excludes toilets.

This is being introduced with the aim of inculcating in students a sense of responsibility and good life habits.

MOE said that many schools have already incorporated five to 10 minutes of cleaning activities within their school hours each day. These schools include Xingnan Primary School, Park View Primary School, and New Town Secondary School.

The ministry said they looked at similar practices in other education systems - such as Taiwan and Japan - in the planning process.

Aren't your DC rostered to sweep the classroom floor every morning already? :scratchhead:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:53 pm

In Japan...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Daily cleaning by students introduced in all schools

Postby MyPillow » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:13 pm

yah lor, i thought my dcs sch were all along doing this, but ds din got cleaning duty coz some were rostered subject reps, some for cleaning reps etc

dd sch roster classes to clean canteen after recess - very cute , some take cloths to wipe tables, some take brooms to sweep, some take tongs to pick litter etc :laugh: which is gd civic lessons for kids.

OT: observed some parents/family who din take initiative to clear their trays in fast food chain or din clear their trash in parks etc tsk tsk tsk - not too gd parenting behaviour

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ikid » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Maybe currently not ALL schools are practicing.
I support this campaign as long as the kids are not skipping their recess or meals just to perform their duty.
Kids should be able to handle simple chores, sweeping, dusting, wipe own desks.
We used to have Use Your Hand Campaign, so is ok to bring this practice back, otherwise once the domestic helper leaves, parents will be their domestic helpers.

Some schools have food studies lessons, maybe all sec schools can teach the students how to cook simple meals and do simple chore, i.e. sewing of buttons, and like those days when they have technical studies in sec schools, teach the students To make some simple stuff like in https://makerfairesingapore.com/category/diy/
Last edited by Ikid on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Last year, my ds school started cleaning of toilets and canteen.

The upper primary students have to rotate to clean toilets and this made them realise the amount of efforts required to remove those toilet papers that naughty kids have wet and threw up to stick onto the ceiling.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:31 pm

MyPillow wrote:yah lor, i thought my dcs sch were all along doing this, but ds din got cleaning duty coz some were rostered subject reps, some for cleaning reps etc

dd sch roster classes to clean canteen after recess - very cute , some take cloths to wipe tables, some take brooms to sweep, some take tongs to pick litter etc :laugh: which is gd civic lessons for kids.

OT: observed some parents/family who din take initiative to clear their trays in fast food chain or din clear their trash in parks etc tsk tsk tsk - not too gd parenting behaviour

Yah, those are "cleaning reps" now that you mentioned! And non-cleaning reps help out sometimes I heard. But cleaning the canteen is something new to me :P

I remember scrubbing the toilets at the end of the year in pri sch.

OT: Yes, clearing own trays at fast food outlets and food courts is a must. I always make sure it's all cleared and binned for the aunty. Same for cinemas - must clear every pop corn bucket and bottles before leaving. Not sure if by doing so, the old aunty might be made redundant?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 pm

alng wrote:Last year, my ds school started cleaning of toilets and canteen.

The upper primary students have to rotate to clean toilets and this made them realise the amount of efforts required to remove those toilet papers that naughty kids have wet and threw up to stick onto the ceiling.

So naughty those boys! :spank:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:17 pm

This is not something new to us. Children in Montessori preschools are already doing age-appropriate general chores every day in schools and at home, from preparing food for break time / lunch, to washing up their own dishes, to washing tables, chairs and other various tasks. In some schools they even include gardening. The mixed-age grouping in an open classroom concept classroom, allows for older children to mentor and guide their younger peers everyday and the directresses facilitate individual curriculum for every child within the hours the children are there. No child is required to conform to grouped learning and the holistic education set in a non-threatening / non-stressful environment allowed child to explore and progress / accelerate at their own individual pace. Many parents are not comfortable with the lack of academic emphasis in Montessori schools. Many parents shared (some even demanded!) that sensorial activities are not important and should be replaced with more Math or Cultural, else the children cannot keep up.

Often times it has been heard or said, that parents would like SG education to be less demanding and rigorous & compare our system against countries like Finland and Japan. In reality, the same cannot be established here because Singaporean parents will not be ready to trade SG's renowned academic prowess for a more holistic curriculum. During MOE's first wave for the STELLAR Programme to be piloted in the first few schools to replace the structured English curriculum, there was outcry from many parents, who worried if our children would really learn more, with less (structured textbooks). Would the new language programme prepare our children for THE PSLE? Not many welcomed the change as to how the English subject was to be taught; moving forward.

So even if there are schools in SG that can facilitate holistic learning, eventually the number of parents signing up for these schools will pale in comparison to the number of parents who will sign up for a guarantee in / for academic excellence.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm

How much has civic education deteriorated! Or kids are really spoilt.

But wait - isn't this an ongoing duty roster in class ?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Ikid wrote:Maybe currently not ALL schools are practicing.
I support this campaign as long as the kids are not skipping their recess or meals just to perform their duty.
Kids should be able to handle simple chores, sweeping, dusting, wipe own desks.
We used to have Use Your Hand Campaign, so is ok to bring this practice back, otherwise once the domestic helper leaves, parents will be their domestic helpers.

Some schools have food studies lessons, maybe all sec schools can teach the students how to cook simple meals and do simple chore, i.e. sewing of buttons, and like those days when they have technical studies in sec schools, teach the students To make some simple stuff like in https://makerfairesingapore.com/category/diy/

As long as parents will support! I recall when the Use-Your-Hands campaign started, some parents complained about wasting their kids' time, and offered their domestic help to do it instead. And even though we were taught basic sewing and cooking in my lower sec days, I know of schoolfriends who either never learned or gave it all back.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time