New ERP system from 2020

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

New ERP system from 2020

Postby sushi88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am

Here is the article:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... d-out-2020

SINGAPORE has cleared the way for its next-generation Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system, which will have islandwide coverage and the ability to charge according to distance travelled.

The deal has been awarded to local company NCS and Japan's MHI Engine System, Land Transport Authority chief executive Chew Men Leong announced yesterday.

The new system will replace the current gantry-based ERP system that has been in place since 1998. It will be rolled out from 2020. There will be an 18-month transition period between the old and new systems, when motorists will swop their current in-vehicle unit for a sophisticated, smartphone-sized onboard unit.

Among other things, this unit will be able to alert drivers of priced roads well in advance (before turn-offs to alternatives).

It will also inform them of charges and provide real-time traffic information.
Armed with this information, LTA said drivers can better decide when to drive, which route to take or to take public transport instead. The Government will foot the bill for the first on-board unit.

During the transition period, motorists can expect no change to the current charging regimen. After the transition phase, the LTA will look into the option of distance-charging, since the technology is in place to charge motorists based on the distance they travel.

If LTA goes down that road, it could mean significantly higher ERP charges for road-users who clock high mileages, such as taxi drivers, deliverymen and bus operators.

Mr Chew said there was no timeline for the implementation of distance-charging. But he said other functions of the new system will be available from day one. These include real-time traffic information for every road user, coupon-less streetside parking and automatic payment for off-peak car owners who drive during peak periods.

This means the system, which uses satellite navigation technology, has islandwide coverage. In places where satellite coverage may be weak - such as in tunnels or under viaducts - signal beacons will be in place.

Mr Chew said the winning bid was superior to the one submitted by ST Electronics, the other bidder. At $556 million, it will also cost less than half the $1.2 billion that ST Electronics had sought.

National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said with this new dynamic road-pricing system in place, Singapore can in fact relook current methods of curbing car demand.

"It can help us do away with the current buffet-style COE system and move towards an a la carte system based on actual mileage clocked," Prof Lee said.

"Currently, our COE system actually encourages vehicle owners to drive as much as they can since the (big) payment has already been made," he added. "It is just like we tend to eat more than we should at buffets."

christan@sph.com.sg
Last edited by sushi88 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: New ERP system by 2020

Postby sushi88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 am

National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said with this new dynamic road-pricing system in place, Singapore can in fact relook current methods of curbing car demand.

"It can help us do away with the current buffet-style COE system and move towards an a la carte system based on actual mileage clocked," Prof Lee said.

"Currently, our COE system actually encourages vehicle owners to drive as much as they can since the (big) payment has already been made," he added. "It is just like we tend to eat more than we should at buffets."

Questions:
1. So is it with certainty that the COE scheme would be removed with the new distance-charging ERP system? If not, it is called double whammy for both systems to co-exist. I don't think people can make money fast enough to meet such living standards.

2. So for car owners who already paid the hefty buffet cost, would there be a pro-rated refund on the COE when the ala carte new distance-charging ERP goes live? Otherwise...also double whammy for current COE car owners.

I hope this is fairly addressed or am I asking these questions too early? :?
Last edited by sushi88 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

sushi88 wrote:National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said with this new dynamic road-pricing system in place, Singapore can in fact relook current methods of curbing car demand.

That will only work if it also comes with a dynamic car park pricing system. Otherwise, be prepared for endless complaints about HDB not building enough parking lots. :wink:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: New ERP system from 2020

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

I can see the rationale to 'persuade' car users not to drive and take public transport. BUT....I can see for certain that all prices will increase because companies will incur higher transportation costs...even hawker centres will say they need to increase because cost of ingredients increase.

Can someone confirm if buses pay erp too? I know I saw the erp device on buses but always wondered why must levy if they help to reduce people using cars on the roads. I know buses take up road spaces but if the point behind erp is to reduce traffic on the road, does it mean that we should all start walking to work? :siam:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sushi88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:22 pm

pirate wrote:
sushi88 wrote:National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said with this new dynamic road-pricing system in place, Singapore can in fact relook current methods of curbing car demand.

That will only work if it also comes with a dynamic car park pricing system. Otherwise, be prepared for endless complaints about HDB not building enough parking lots. :wink:

:lol: true but life is getting harder for car owners! Potentially, those car owners who cannot afford to keep up with such fast rising cost will be oozed out.

Frankly, car is a means of transport but we want to make it an overly premium item until it is out of reach for most people. So the message is if you are really not rich enough...please go the public transport way regardless if one is getting older or not and public transport is not exactly convenient for all.
Last edited by sushi88 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:30 pm

hquek wrote:I can see the rationale to 'persuade' car users not to drive and take public transport. BUT....I can see for certain that all prices will increase because companies will incur higher transportation costs...even hawker centres will say they need to increase because cost of ingredients increase.

Can someone confirm if buses pay erp too? I know I saw the erp device on buses but always wondered why must levy if they help to reduce people using cars on the roads. I know buses take up road spaces but if the point behind erp is to reduce traffic on the road, does it mean that we should all start walking to work? :siam:

If the infrastructure can be changed into a walking town like some places in Switzerland where no cars can enter but only on foot (eg. Zermatt)...then I am happy to walk in a walking city with all the relevant shelters in place. :smile: One of the reasons to have a walking town is to curb the pollution.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 pm

One curious question that probably only LTA and the bidders can answer.

ST electronics bidded 1.2B whilst the winning bid was like half that price....I hoped they considered what went in and that the bidders really can deliver a quality project at that price. Although I guess people wun mind if the erp worked only half the time. :wink:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:45 pm

sushi88 wrote:
If the infrastructure can be changed into a walking town like some places in Switzerland where no cars can enter but only on foot (eg. Zermatt)...then I am happy to walk in a walking city with all the relevant shelters in place. :smile: One of the reasons to have a walking town is to curb the pollution.

Well...I wun mind walking in Switzerland weather (most times). But in Singapore, I only have to walk from mrt to office and already look like half drenched mouse from all the perspiration.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Methinks COE is not going to go anywhere for long long time.

COE is to restrict no of cars in Singapore. ERP is to curb congestion on roads.
Double whammy - but of course. Remember we are planning to be a car-lite city :evil:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Probably too premature to think about the following, as they've just awarded the tender to...

But can't help but wonder aloud ahead of 2020:

1. How will this impact on taxi and bus fare structures? Won't there be an acute shortage of cabs plying within the priced zones during peak hours then, since the longer they ply to look for fares, the more they would be charged?

2. Are they intruding into my privacy, since now they can track my whereabouts within the priced boundaries? :evil:

3. They are implementing this island-wide. So SAHMs plying priced roads in non-CBD areas to pick-up/fetch their kids from schools could potentially be affected too?

4. Will there be diff road pricing along diff stretches within the priced zone? As in, after plying along Stamford Road, I enter into Orchard via Penang Lane, will the per 100m unit price (whatever they call it) abruptly fluctuate or remain constant throughout my journey inside the zone?

5. Will there be price fluctuations at different times of the day within the restricted zone? As in, from 8am-8.15am, I ply along Havelock Road but am caught in a bad jam. After 8.15am, I'm still stuck in that jam...Will the system deduct more $ from my cashcard because the pricing along that same stretch has jumped from 8.16am onwards?

6. Srsly, I dunno how it works. If they say they will go by mileage, that means if I enter from CTE Cairnhill exit into Bideford Road and turn immediately to a condo and park there, I only ply 200m or so within the priced zone, hence I pay less huh? Won't those carparks located on ERP fringe be very crowded thereafter?

7. Pricing on expressways will remain since they mentioned underground tunnels & viaducts. I wonder how it works when I exit from expressways in the evenings (i.e. homebound, away from CBD). Does it mean they will stop deducting $ from my cashcard after I transcend the priced boundary located somewhere in the middle of CTE? Haha...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time