Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol

Postby whitecorp » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Might director James Cameron be right after all with his Skynet hypothesis in the Terminator movies? Things just got a little scary here. Peace.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/111843 ... ind-result

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 pm

whitecorp wrote:Might director James Cameron be right after all with his Skynet hypothesis in the Terminator movies? Things just got a little scary here. Peace.

Lol. I have little faith in the ability of humans to last beyond the next 500 years. We are meant to be the creators of the beings that will conquer the galaxy. Machines have no need for biospheres and can travel light and go billions of years. They can replicate and get better by themselves. So yes, we will be the gods to these beings, except we won't be around to enjoy the status.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby iRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:39 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
whitecorp wrote:Might director James Cameron be right after all with his Skynet hypothesis in the Terminator movies? Things just got a little scary here. Peace.

Lol. I have little faith in the ability of humans to last beyond the next 500 years. We are meant to be the creators of the beings that will conquer the galaxy. Machines have no need for biospheres and can travel light and go billions of years. They can replicate and get better by themselves. So yes, we will be the gods to these beings, except we won't be around to enjoy the status.

Until the day machines can beat us in Mahjong, I'm not getting carried away. :imcool:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 am

iRabbit wrote:
Until the day machines can beat us in Mahjong, I'm not getting carried away. :imcool:

Mahjong is many orders of magnitude much simpler than chess.

Human rely on experience and guesstimation what tiles to discard, machine can do it with unparalleled reliability by systematic calculations. You can't beat machines when playing with games that deals heavily with probability. Gambling is all about probability.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Space8 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:47 pm

The Mom of Demis Hassabis from Deepmind Is actually a Singaporean Chinese , why don't we invite her back to tell us how to groom gep kids....he said he is trying to create machines that can learn by itself . That's scary isn't it.

Space8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jetsetter » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Pretty tough as our students are "programmed" to do PSLE and we simply don't have the right environment to groom tech geniuses like him. I mean, how many of our Geppers have the time to design computer games or write computer programmes? We don't even have competitions here. Besides, Mom didn't exactly groom Demis. She was busy working at John Lewis; it was his dad who home-educated him. His dad is a song-writer of Greek/Cypriot descent. Both parents are technophobes. They are however teachers who used to own a toy shop in North London. That was where he picked up his first chess board at 4.

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-facts-demis-hassabis-deepmind-2014-1?IR=T&r=US&IR=T

Besides, he could skip grades and finished his A's 2 years earlier than his peers. Can GEPper do that in Singapore? Answer is no. No wonder no Mozarts / Nobel Prize winners / Intl chess champions yet. Wait, that last statement sounds 'fishy'. :heresmyfish:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2015/07/features/deepmind/page/3

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/16/demis-hassabis-artificial-intelligence-deepmind-alphago

Not sure if music has anything to do with his tech-giftedness, but his sister is a composer/pianist. Takes after the dad...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:42 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Lol. I have little faith in the ability of humans to last beyond the next 500 years. We are meant to be the creators of the beings that will conquer the galaxy. Machines have no need for biospheres and can travel light and go billions of years. They can replicate and get better by themselves. So yes, we will be the gods to these beings, except we won't be around to enjoy the status.

I am confident that's not my problem. I won't be around 500 years from now.

Heck. I don't think it's even dd's problem.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 am

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:26 am

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster