Another by election

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: Another by election

Post by jetsetter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:57 pm

thsheng99 wrote:If Murali does win in the BB by election, it would indicate that people do look beyond race when casting their votes.

Then GRC should probably be abolished since there is no more need for for such a mechanism to bring in minority candidates into parliament
Well, people already looked beyond race since the days of Anson and Punggol East, didn't they?

PM already said GRCs will become smaller in the next GE. Take one step at a time first...

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:175

Post by pirate » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:02 pm

jetsetter wrote:One more curious matter...why are they campaigning now? Isn't it illegal? The writ hasn't been issued yet!

And media has been conducting random "polls" with residents of BB as well.

ELD, wake up...
Cannot meh? Where say cannot? :scratchhead:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:14 pm

pirate wrote:
jetsetter wrote:One more curious matter...why are they campaigning now? Isn't it illegal? The writ hasn't been issued yet!

ELD, wake up...
cannot...I've been thinking about this since last Aug. You know last Jul-Aug, the MIWs started to go house to house to distribute those fun packs? It's a form of "soft campaigning", no? Then WP started to unveil their candies quite early too and walked the ground before the writ was issued.

I've to go dig the clause.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by Dnls_mum » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 pm

jetsetter wrote:
pirate wrote:

ELD, wake up...
cannot...I've been thinking about this since last Aug. You know last Jul-Aug, the MIWs started to go house to house to distribute those fun packs? It's a form of "soft campaigning", no? Then WP started to unveil their candies quite early too and walked the ground before the writ was issued.

I've to go dig the clause.
I think nothing to prevent you from visiting people. But you are not protected by the provisions of a election campaign so must be more careful with actions and words.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm

before whites announced their candidate, the reds were walking about. i thought there is a 'formal' period of campaigning?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 pm

limlim wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
So PAP better not field a Chow XXX YYY....else it will be a C-C By Election. :siam:
:rahrah:

Chow Chee B-E........... :evil:
Is now officially a Mua Chee Election

stetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by stetan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:08 am

floppy wrote:
Michael Palmer (a minority candidate) has already proven that a minority can win in a GE (his subsequent indiscretion notwithstanding). It's not about gender either (LLL - beating 3 guys albeit in a BE, GF, TPL).

I have a differing view.

Micheal Palmer, though classified a Eurasian is also technically half a Chinese.

JBJ, was a leader of the opposition Workers Party. He had a high profile illustrious career ,including being a magistrate, district judge, crown counsel, deputy public prosecutor and registrar of the Supreme Court. He was a great orater and coupled with the fact that there was a very strong desire to have an opposition MP, the chances for him to win was kind of "predestined".

ON the other hand, most have not heard of Murali. He seemed to be a unknown. Even in the Ajunied elections, he was not prominent and did not leave a lasting impression on the voters.

stetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by stetan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

floppy wrote:
Yah... But did you ask her about the lightning symbol?
Most of them only recognize and continue to vote for the lightning rod, despite not knowing who is standing for election.

Most of them identify the lightning symbol with LKY. With the passing of LKY, how much attachment they still holds will be made known in this by election.

For that matter, my aunt actually prefers Thor to Flash.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:206

Post by floppy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:47 am

stetan wrote:
stetan wrote:
floppy wrote:
Yah... But did you ask her about the lightning symbol?
Most of them only recognize and continue to vote for the lightning rod, despite not knowing who is standing for election.

Most of them identify the lightning symbol with LKY. With the passing of LKY, how much attachment they still holds will be made known in this by election.

For that matter, my aunt actually prefers Thor to Flash.
Micheal Palmer, though classified a Eurasian is also technically half a Chinese.
1. There's not such thing as technically half a Chinese, at least not until we do away with race classification. In GE context, it's binary, 1 or 0. Otherwise, we can also argue some could be 1/4 Ang Moh or 1/8 Indian or 1/10 Mongolian etc.

2. Your aunt may prefer Thor, but he's not there. So it's going to be Flash for her. That's how democracy (in Singapore and many other places) works, you exercise your choice based on the options presented to you. Until we have proportional representation (or until Thor decides to move West), your aunt will most probably stick with the lightning rod.
Last edited by floppy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:50 am

If Thor doesn't move west the aunt can move east