General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: Another by election

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
limlim wrote:prata flipping flip ah flip..
I thought he's a lawyer? :siam:
He didn't realise SDP is backed by some cleverer lawyers in the party and keyboard lawyers.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:35 pm

isetan wrote:Tomorow rally is expected to draw Hugh crowds for the opposition. Will history repeat again that the outcome would be 70% votes to the PAP?
Yes, all ready to get wet at Bt Gombak or the open field! :evil:

I'm waiting to listen to Part II of that Haagen Daz vs Wall's story.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm

floppy wrote:The campaigning has truly started: a new music video of Dr Chee singing 一百万.

After Murali played the piano and did some push ups at residents' homes? :rotflmao:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm

floppy wrote:The campaigning has truly started: a new music video of Dr Chee singing 一百万.

After Murali played the piano and did some push ups at residents' homes? :rotflmao:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:47 pm

floppy wrote:
stetan wrote:Seems like the US$1.9m upgrading will proceed regardless if Murali wins or not......

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-d ... 56825.html
Yes... and no.

There are 2 separate issues:
1. Funds
2. Plan

The funds (S$1.9m not USD) have already been set aside for the Town Council. It may be used by the Town Council managing BB for the Neighbourhood Renewal Project.

The plan, however, may change if a different Town Council is managing BB. If Murali wins, it will be the same old plan. If CSJ wins, he can either (a) propose a new plan or (b) take over JO/Murali plan (they don't hold an exclusive right to the plan) or (c) forget about upgrading (= political suicide).

Given than CSJ already more or less choose (b), the plan should proceed regardless of the MP elect.

While I don't see upgrading as a taboo subject the way jetsetter sees it, upgrading should be a non-issue in this by-election, unless Murali is prepared to fork it out of his own pockets. It's amusing to see that SDP hasn't seized on the opportunity that Murali really doesn't have many talking points in this by-election. He may be a good guy, but there are already 80+ of the same type in Parliament. A candidate with less baggage than CSJ (think LLL) would have closed the deal with BB easily (ego, I believe, is most likely the impediment to the development of an alternative-alternative party).
(b) The PAP has no proprietary right to that $1.9m plan it initiated and conceptualised, huh? Thought the party that wins has to conceptualise the plan on its own, not inherit from the incumbent? The FUND itself $1.9m, I agree, is funding-neutral.

Clarifying his earlier 'gaffe':
PAP’s Mr Murali, however, has pointed out that the NRP for the estate came about after “very extensive consultation”.

On Thursday evening, he also noted that while the NRP was funding-neutral - meaning that the Government would disburse funds whether the PAP wins or loses - it was "another thing" for the town council responsible to conceptualise a plan "that resonates with our Bukit Batok residents".

"Shouldn't be white elephants, it shouldn't be things that we build which will not be used because it's the wrong place," Mr Murali said.

"So this is why I emphasised that Jurong-Clementi Town Council is in a very very good position to do this, because it has an exceptional track record. There's a competence. There's no need to experiment."

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Post by floppy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:59 pm

jetsetter wrote:
(b) The PAP has no proprietary right to that $1.9m plan it initiated and conceptualised, huh? Thought the party that wins has to conceptualise the plan on its own, not inherit from the incumbent? The FUND itself $1.9m, I agree, is funding-neutral.
I'm quite sure they have the rights to chope the pink dinosaur for the playground whereas SDP may prefer the blue whale. But the site for playground... I don't think either one can say you can't use it because I come first.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:00 pm

If first impression is anything to go by, then unfortunately i'm not impressed by Mr Murali.

Was having lunch at a hougang kopi shop last year during GE campaigning period, and him an his entourage after house visits, came by to greet everyone.

It was a nice gesture and he was courteous, but the brief brief encounter did not impress me that he's actually a 'lawyer who has 100 lawyers reporting to him', as was i think reported not too long ago when PAP announced he was standing in BB.

Maybe he was too used to comfy job and was too flustered and tired after the house visits and was a bit hypo by then...

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:05 pm

'a lawyer who has 100 lawyers reporting to him' : impressive!

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:07 pm

floppy wrote: While I don't see upgrading as a taboo subject the way jetsetter sees it, upgrading should be a non-issue in this by-election, unless Murali is prepared to fork it out of his own pockets. It's amusing to see that SDP hasn't seized on the opportunity that Murali really doesn't have many talking points in this by-election. He may be a good guy, but there are already 80+ of the same type in Parliament. A candidate with less baggage than CSJ (think LLL) would have closed the deal with BB easily (ego, I believe, is most likely the impediment to the development of an alternative-alternative party).
hehe..I saw it that (giving away chance to your foe) way, prior to the presser with Tharman and Grace when he outlined the plan in greater detail. It sounded illogical to me that the ruling party had to capitalise on 'carrots' that's been tested and proven in the last 2 GEs to be blardy irksome (read: idiotic) to voters. And now he pwned himself by admitting it's coming out from that $24m 5-year-plan budget earlier approved by the G under DO's administration. :slapshead:

Yes, upgrading is a non-issue because $24mil has already been set aside for upgrading. As explained by Murali, part of the $4-5mil set aside per year in the 1st year has already been utilised since DO took office in Sep 2015, and some projects have been completed while others are ongoing. I suspect the $1.9mil is the remainder budget slated for the 1st year, and the so called "Plan" conceptualised by PAP is probably what was originally stipulated in the upgrading contract signed by the Jurong-BB TC.

SDP has seized a few points so far, including one response to Murali's soundbite that he could balance his MP job well with his hectic schedule @ the law firm, just as many people who are holding on to 2-3 jobs could. SDP took issue with this comparison with the underprivileged who have to hold 2-3 jobs to make ends meet! You must read the netizens comments. Some are really quite funny.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:23 pm

atrecord wrote:If first impression is anything to go by, then unfortunately i'm not impressed by Mr Murali.

Was having lunch at a hougang kopi shop last year during GE campaigning period, and him an his entourage after house visits, came by to greet everyone.

It was a nice gesture and he was courteous, but the brief brief encounter did not impress me that he's actually a 'lawyer who has 100 lawyers reporting to him', as was i think reported not too long ago when PAP announced he was standing in BB.

Maybe he was too used to comfy job and was too flustered and tired after the house visits and was a bit hypo by then...
I'd say his credentials are impressive lah. But what he can bring to the table, I believe SDP can as well. If they need those health screening, Prof Paul Tambyah can chip in. If they need to run legal clinics, there're a few legal advisors in SDP who could help too. And as for financial mgmt seminars, Ex-CEO of NTUC Income TKL has already committed his hours to serve the BB residents at the last presser.

Win or lose, Murali will still win big after this BE.