Singapore population

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you plan to have more kids?

Yes, we would love to contribute to the population growth
14%
No, we've already close shop. It's too stressful to have more.
79%
We am not sure.
7%

Total votes : 28

Singapore population

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Heard on the radio where PM Lee said that we need more babies. He also mentioned if Singapore needs to try out Korea's method of lights off on one of the days inorder to boost the population.

The government have been trying to entice couples to have more kids with the baby bonus,etc... But we all know that those bonus are insufficient to rear a child. Depending on your choice of preschool, it will probably be used up even before your child steps into P1.

Some family without good family support have issue with child care arrangements. But I personally feel that it's not just about $ and affordabilty. It's also about the educational system. Getting into good schools, being competitive so that they can go to good sec schools, JC and uni... It's stressful that we have to prepare the kids for PSLE, O levels, A levels, etc.... Imagine if you have quite a number of kids, you would have to go that process many times. I also observed that in family with only 1 child, parents can dedicate alot more resources to the child versus a family with more kids.

In addition, with most families having to go on dual income due to standard of living, couples are stretched for time to have more babies.

Just curious what would the other KSP folks think. Will you have more babies to help the country? Or you think you've enough. We've 3 and I think we are already above national average and have done our part. We are also not likely to have more :lol:

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Singapore population

Postby skunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:51 pm

MMM wrote:Just curious what would the other KSP folks think. Will you have more babies to help the country? Or you think you've enough. We've 3 and I think we are already above national average and have done our part. We are also not likely to have more :lol:

I originally wanted to contribute to your thread, but now i think better not...I better keep my extreme views to myself LOL

Anyone else? hehe

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Don't even talk about one, I have seen cases of married couples, don't even want children.

If I would like to have another one, the reason is definately not, to help the country. If I do not want any, the reason is also definately not, because I don't want to help the country. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Haha, there are people who've polled but not written anything.

Like daisyt, reason for wanting to have, how many and wanting NOT to have is not a national issue leh. I'm full-blooded Singaporean but having children to serve national interest is where I draw the line, thank you ma'm.

MMM, like you, I'm way above the FTR of 1.29. We have 3! :wink:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:23 pm

daisyt wrote:If I would like to have another one, the reason is definately not, to help the country. If I do not want any, the reason is also definately not, because I don't want to help the country. :D

cannot do things for more than 1 reason meh LOL

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hhpjhappy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I got 4!

hhpjhappy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby LKVM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:26 pm

hhpjhappy wrote:I got 4!

wow 4 u must be a busy mom/dad...

:celebrate:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:26 pm

hhpjhappy wrote:I got 4!

I'm also aiming for 4 :)

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby skunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 pm

lovekidsverymuch wrote:
wow 4 u must be a busy mom/dad...

:celebrate:

my own parents had 4 kids and they didn't seem too busy...still got time learn dancing and singing LOL

It's about time management and whether you can take it. Nowadays people not as tough as in the old days haiz

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Probably to phase it correctly, we don't have kids because of the country but more for ourselves and many other reasons :lol: At the same time, I don't think we will be label "patriotic" if we have 1.29 kids or more kids :lol:

But I think I was just curious on the reasons why people are not having more kids. Is it because of the standard of living, education system, fear of childbirth/ kids, people who thinks their quality of life will suffer with more kids, etc....? Yes... we've also seen couples who prefer dogs to kids.

For us, I think we've reached the max. Being a FTWM, my resources are stretched and I cannot imagine having more. Not forgetting medical condition that stop me from having more. Also, I think it's really stressed. Feeding them is probably the "easiest" part but making sure that they grow up to be a fine person and do well in life is a bigger challenge.

So even if the govt were to offer more "bonuses", I don't think we will ever go for it. We didn't have the 3rd child because of baby bonus. It just happen.... :wink:

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time