All about Not getting into SAP school

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

All about Not getting into SAP school

Postby Cherryplum » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 am

Sharing some thoughts...

All the raves about SAP schools stir the hearts.

We have an SAP School within 1 km but think we are now considering to give it a miss.
Initially, I was pretty much influenced by the thinking that being Chinese, we want our child to learn in a culturally rich environment. However, my perception has changed over the past two years. Mainly because I realised Higher Chinese is now available in most Primary Schools. Also, getting into an SAP school does not guarantee that the child will come out of the school with good grasp of Chinese language, think in Chinese and having better moral values. Ultimately, parents have the largest part to play in a child's life. Agree? Disagree?

In some afternoons, I would patronise Mcdonald's that happened to be a popular spot by various school students in the area. So far, I have not been impressed by any group of school kids who bothered to clear their tray as they leave or do not feel ashame about leaving a big mess for the senior crew to clear. The so called SAP, elite and neighbourhood schools all become one big melting pot inside the restaurant. If you know what I mean.

Actually, so far, the kids from various SAP schools that I encountered do not seem to know how to greet people. It makes me think if students are exposed to the basic《 五常 》in SAP schools.
So, SAP or not, doesn't really matter but choose a school that suits the child and not over expense one's energy.

Anyone shares similar perception?

Cherryplum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All about Not getting into SAP school

Postby hquek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 am

Cherryplum wrote:Actually, so far, the kids from various SAP schools that I encountered do not seem to know how to greet people. It makes me think if students are exposed to the basic《 五常 》in SAP schools.
So, SAP or not, doesn't really matter but choose a school that suits the child and not over expense one's energy.

Anyone shares similar perception?

I would agree that parents are the key drivers - if parents don't clear up their trays, don't greet people, I strongly doubt their kids would do the same.

My kids are in sap school - simply because the other schools in the vicinity are far less desirable. Not all neighbourhood schools are bad, but do find out what the culture of schools are like - you will be amazed at what the neighbourhood 'well-informed' auntie can share.

It's true that kids can still end up preferring English over Chinese. BUT....I appreciate the attention paid on Chinese culture - my kids have had er hu, tea appreciation, calligraphy, wushu classes during curriculum time. these are not essential but are nice to have. Especially when I do not expose them otherwise. Everything parents can also do at home, but how many of us will have the money, time, energy to do all these?

Ultimately, it's best to find a school nearby or one that does not have a negative impact on childcare. That will determine if you/your child get to sleep in or wake up for a mad dash during the 6 loonnnng years, not to mention the times when child has to stay back for cca, supplementary classes etc.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 am

Last edited by jetsetter on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cherryplum » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks for the input. The purpose of putting up this post is to see if there are like-minded parents who also think that whether SAP or none SAP schools generate similar kids other than the Chinese cultural experience.
It is also to gather opinions (for and against) about this topic that may serve as a reference for parents who may also be at a cross road situation in deciding which school to register their child in. For all we know, we have always read about the good things about SAP schools and parents' strong thoughts about these schools. So, how about views from the other direction? Why some parents (though minority) are not considering SAP schools. I thought this topic is missing in this forum.
Nothing negative about it, just a discussion and gathering opinions for the benefit of readers in search for answers.
Yes, I think some other parent (not sure about the child) will definitely appreciate this one less competition. Nothing noble about it, just a matter of choice.

Cherryplum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Last edited by jetsetter on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cherryplum » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks for the rational opinion and a good illustration of the differences.

It would be great to see views from different parents.

Cherryplum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Recess Time