11 yo jumped at Fernvale link

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

11 yo jumped at Fernvale link

Postby stetan » Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Are we giving our children too much pressure ? Or is it the educational system that is pressuring us ? So sad.......

(新明日报新闻)11岁男童今天原本疑要取回学校考卷回家给家长签名,不知何故身穿校服清晨从17楼住家飞 坠惨死,事发后父跪尸旁频道歉,母歇斯底里痛哭!

这起悲剧发生在今早6时45分许,地点是盛港一带芬维尔连路(Fernvale Link)第470A座组屋。

死者是一名何姓五年级男生,生前就读本地一所名校,生前与父母、姐姐同住在17楼组屋单位。

记者接到通知后赶到现场,只见死者的母亲瘫坐在地上,哭红双眼,需要男女亲友陪伴身旁

stetan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: 11 yo jumped at Fernvale link

Postby cool_hi » Thu May 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Yes...very very very very sad and shocked!
A friend sent to me early morning,
Aft reading,tossed and turn in bed,
really cannot get back to sleep..
I also have a p5 gal..
As u can see,at p5 ,kids and parents already feel the
HEAT from psle!!
Haiz!!!
RIP!!!

cool_hi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Thu May 19, 2016 3:49 pm

According to this and other reports, look like the father was upset over the boy's results and he was supposed to collect his report book. It was also reported that there was a quarrel before the boy jumped.

Not judging but I know of too many parents being harsh on their children when they got their results. I just counselled one of my P5 students over his poor results. His parents were so angry that they declared a time out for themselves by ignoring him. If they didn't do that, the father would have bashed up the boy liao. I explained to the boy why his parents were so upset and disappointed with his results which was mainly due to his bad attitude and laziness towards his studies. The boy decided to take my advice and started working hard to appease his parents. If he had worked hard but still show poor results, his parents won't hold it against him cos they knew his potential.

I don't encourage parents to measure their children by their results but the effort they put in.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby alng » Thu May 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I have a P5 ds and was really shocked when my friend sent me the news last night.

It is very common for P5 SA1 results to drop by more than 10 marks as there is a big jump between P4 and P5. Parents still have time to prepare the child for PSLE.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ptb7476 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:54 pm

tutormum wrote:According to this and other reports, look like the father was upset over the boy's results and he was supposed to collect his report book. It was also reported that there was a quarrel before the boy jumped.

Not judging but I know of too many parents being harsh on their children when they got their results. I just counselled one of my P5 students over his poor results. His parents were so angry that they declared a time out for themselves by ignoring him. If they didn't do that, the father would have bashed up the boy liao. I explained to the boy why his parents were so upset and disappointed with his results which was mainly due to his bad attitude and laziness towards his studies. The boy decided to take my advice and started working hard to appease his parents. If he had worked hard but still show poor results, his parents won't hold it against him cos they knew his potential.

I don't encourage parents to measure their children by their results but the effort they put in.

sometime it is not parent .. then school and teacher also play apart ..esp those school who are into ranking .. they need to maintain their reputation ...so will continue to push the student

well it is a rat race out there ... everyone play a little role in everything .. no one is prefect /saint and can stay clean

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Agree that school, teachers and parents all play a part, including tutors...only thing is if all are pressing in the same direction and if not, who has the strongest influence on the child to keep the balance?

Some schools brief parents at the beginning of the year on a tougher P5 so as to set parents' expectation of results right but perhaps it is not the practice of every school. Even then, sometimes parents can still be upset. So the best thing to work on is the kids. They need to understand that all problems can be solved by working with parents and not take such drastic action on impulse. :sad: They also need to know that there is someone they can turn to when they face any problems.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm

This is really sad news

tankee
Site Admin

Postby love1001 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:28 pm

As my kids told me, the most dreadful moment in life is none other than waiting for the exam results. A lot of time, they thought they did well but actual results show otherwise. My younger one told me her heart was bumping so hard while waiting for teacher to call out her name and she was so afraid to look at her mark. She told me many of their classmates claimed that they are afraid to disclose their results to the parents as they will be canned for bringing home poor results. Many blamed the parents for the undue stress they put on the kids but is it really the parents at fault? If parents do not push the kids, how are they going to survive in this crazy rat race.

RIP, poor kid.

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sembgal » Thu May 19, 2016 4:35 pm

http://m.zaobao.com.sg/story/618538

If the school did not set the P5 SA1 exam so difficult, the boy would not have been berated by his dad for not doing well according to dad's expectation. Maybe it's time MOE do a review of school exam papers. If all schools are good schools, why the top schools are always the ones that set the most difficult questions? It's time to focus on school's expectations. Will top schools' principals get higher KPI if their students do better in their studies? That could be a speculation that teachers have to set more difficult exam papers to meet the challenging needs of the students.

Students have to be counselled during school assembly about this P5 boy's sucide case. Take it as a learning point for all students that never to commit sucide over grades.

It's too late to cry over split milk. I hope the father gets over his grief and comes out from his depressed state. After all, he wants his son to do well. He did not expect what he said in a fit of anger to force his son to leap from 17th floor.

This is a very misfortunate thing that shakes parents to wake up from their mindset.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Thu May 19, 2016 4:45 pm

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time