Which petrol brand do you stay loyal to and why?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Which petrol brand do you stay loyal to?

Caltex
11%
Esso-Mobil
46%
Shell
36%
SPC
7%

Total votes : 28

Which petrol brand do you stay loyal to and why?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 pm

The station I frequent has decided to shut itself down until further notice. So in view of convenience, I am thinking of re-evaluating my options. There are many convenient choices around so I want to hear from your experiences before I decide.

I use Esso and the rewards seem attractive(I can change for a rice cooker and a vacuum cleaner at the same time with the points I have collected in not so long duration), but that is also because I have no idea what others are offering.. :lol:

Can you share which petrol brand do you pump and why? I like to understand the perks better so that I can make an informed decision to switch camp. :wink:

Also 95 or 98 any difference for your car?
I use 95 and feel no difference when I pump 98 or I am just so immuned..

Postby cmm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

We pump at Caltex cos company hubby works for offers tie up with Caltex for StarCard that offers 14% off station pump prices. We use 95 too. No diff frm 98.

I find their gift redemptions nothing fantastic though, always the same old stuff... :P

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Blobbi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Looks like I miss out alot of cookers :). We use Shell cos can sometimes get rebate with the points accumulated. But I'll use anything that's cheap.

A long time ago, I met with SPC - they refine for everyone, ie, Esso, Shell, etc. They told me - no diff in brands. But 95/98/vpower, there is a difference cos that's the octane level so the formula is different. which means burning efficiency is different. On personal user experience, it depends on the make of your car. Our previous car ran like cream like that with Vpower (used it when it was discounted during F1).

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Started out using Caltex when I 1st started driving cos there's a station on my way home.

Then it was Shell when the company I worked in gave me a fuel card. And since then it has been Shell cos it's the most convenient. Think they have the most kiosks in Singapore. There is a Shell station in whichever direction I come from towards my house.

And I will pump 98. Vpower on when they have offer at the same price as 98.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Andaiz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

We used to be keen fans of Shell. Then Caltex offered better rates with the Oxxx cards, plus the $3 per $50 off so save money lah!

We use 95 with our 2.4 mama machine (can't run so 98 oso no use) but I notice that 98 is more efficient although it costs more. When I'm feeling generous, then pump VPower (or caltex's equivalent) so that it lubricates lah! :P probably victim of advertising :faint:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrschan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

i switched to Esso as i find it more convenient - more outlets, can withdraw $ from DBS atm and can buy my fave polar curry puffs all at one go.

mrschan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:55 pm

mrschan wrote:i switched to Esso as i find it more convenient - more outlets, can withdraw $ from DBS atm and can buy my fave polar curry puffs all at one go.

Oh I like these features too...other petrol stations do not have atm?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Andaiz wrote:We used to be keen fans of Shell. Then Caltex offered better rates with the Oxxx cards, plus the $3 per $50 off so save money lah!

We use 95 with our 2.4 mama machine (can't run so 98 oso no use) but I notice that 98 is more efficient although it costs more. When I'm feeling generous, then pump VPower (or caltex's equivalent) so that it lubricates lah! :P probably victim of advertising :faint:

Now that you mentioned, Esso usually gives on their own accord 2 $3 coupon for discount when I make payment. I think they give up giving out the coupons because no one keeps it well. I for sure lose it the moment I receive it cos handbag is not big...so terrible right? *sigh*

The efficient part sounds interesting, does it mean that you can run your car longer and no need to pump so quickly? I have the habit of watching my fuel meter, recently I find that it seems to go down quite rapidly even though I don't feel that I was travelling more or further, is it less efficient? :?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Funz wrote:Started out using Caltex when I 1st started driving cos there's a station on my way home.

Then it was Shell when the company I worked in gave me a fuel card. And since then it has been Shell cos it's the most convenient. Think they have the most kiosks in Singapore. There is a Shell station in whichever direction I come from towards my house.

And I will pump 98. Vpower on when they have offer at the same price as 98.

Actually my gut feel also tells me that there are more Shell stations so I am considering if I shud switch to Shell.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Blobbi wrote:Looks like I miss out alot of cookers :). We use Shell cos can sometimes get rebate with the points accumulated. But I'll use anything that's cheap.

A long time ago, I met with SPC - they refine for everyone, ie, Esso, Shell, etc. They told me - no diff in brands. But 95/98/vpower, there is a difference cos that's the octane level so the formula is different. which means burning efficiency is different. On personal user experience, it depends on the make of your car. Our previous car ran like cream like that with Vpower (used it when it was discounted during F1).

Yeah I find Esso's rewards pretty attractive...especially the household items, I can even change a good microwave with any cash top-ups.

As for the Vpower, I find that there is no place in Singapore for me to race much...so after a while, I give up the idea of using premium petrol, but efficiency is good to consider.

Next

Return to Recess Time