Sudden spark indoors during thunderstorm

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Sudden spark indoors during thunderstorm

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Wonder if anyone can shed light on this?

Recently, I had two disconcerting experiences of having a sudden bright spark exploding with a loud crack sound in the middle of my living room during thunderstorms. The closest I can come to finding a known description is very small ball lightning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

The first time it happened, one of the windows was very slightly opened but the spark was right in the middle of the living room. The second time it happened, the windows were all closed. I did not have any exposed power outlets in the vicinity.

If anyone has any idea how I can prevent this from happening again, please do share.

Thanks!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Re: Sudden spark indoors during thunderstorm

Postby extraterrestrial » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Please let me know how to prevent it from happening also. There were a few occasions when lightning would strike the windows and the living room windows would rattle. Sometimes, you can see a ball of lightning strike the living room windows. I would tell my DS and mil to stay away from Living room whenever there's a thunderstorm.

extraterrestrial
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 am

extraterrestrial wrote:Please let me know how to prevent it from happening also. There were a few occasions when lightning would strike the windows and the living room windows would rattle. Sometimes, you can see a ball of lightning strike the living room windows. I would tell my DS and mil to stay away from Living room whenever there's a thunderstorm.

Landed prop?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby extraterrestrial » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
extraterrestrial wrote:Please let me know how to prevent it from happening also. There were a few occasions when lightning would strike the windows and the living room windows would rattle. Sometimes, you can see a ball of lightning strike the living room windows. I would tell my DS and mil to stay away from Living room whenever there's a thunderstorm.

Landed prop?

No not landed. it's HDB. My MIL also saw it before in the house. And she's scared too. Once she saw the lightning strike the living room windows. Funny thing it's always the living room windows. The bedrooms are ok.

extraterrestrial
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pirate » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:04 pm

extraterrestrial wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

Landed prop?

No not landed. it's HDB. My MIL also saw it before in the house. And she's scared too. Once she saw the lightning strike the living room windows. Funny thing it's always the living room windows. The bedrooms are ok.

HDB? The standard way to fix things is to complain to the MP. :wink:

PS. The Lightning Protection System of the block needs to be checked perhaps.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:01 pm

During thunderstorm, we are not supposed to stand near the windows

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:12 am

pirate wrote:
extraterrestrial wrote:

HDB? The standard way to fix things is to complain to the MP. :wink:

PS. The Lightning Protection System of the block needs to be checked perhaps.

Windows rattle coz of thunder is normal, esp for sliding ones.

But for close flashes, have your asked your neighbours? Perhaps you can check if there's any earthing tape running on the external wall just by the living room's windows.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:39 am

starlight1968sg wrote:During thunderstorm, we are not supposed to stand near the windows

and i try not to use the telephone when there is lightning...just to be on the safe side.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:42 am

janet88 wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:During thunderstorm, we are not supposed to stand near the windows

and i try not to use the telephone when there is lightning...just to be on the safe side.

Mobile or cordless should be OK.

I think hardwired landline is the concern coz that could pick up induced voltage (from lightning strikes) and fry your equipment or ear.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 am

Nebbermind wrote:
janet88 wrote:

Mobile or cordless should be OK.

I think hardwired landline is the concern coz that could pick up induced voltage (from lightning strikes) and fry your equipment or ear.

that's my worry...afraid my ear gets fried.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time