Teacher from Gongshang Primary bullying pupils!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Teacher from Gongshang Primary bullying pupils!

Postby sembgal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm

http://www.motherinc.org/seriously-some ... ng-marker/

SERIOUSLY SOMEWHAT SERIOUS
THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE FLYING MARKER
July 13, 2016
Bright and early every morning, we say goodbye to Truett and Kirsten as they head off to school for the next 6 hours, where they spend that time making friends and learning things in a structured environment, under the supervision of teachers, in whom we place a great deal of trust.

And everyday, when I pick them up from school, I’ll ask them the same question, “How was your day, guys?” Because 1) I’m interested to hear about their day and 2) If anything bad were to happen to them in those 6 hours where I’m not able to be physically present to watch out for them, I’d want to know immediately.

Most of the time, they’ll say “good” or “okay” or “boring”, which in view of point 2, is a good thing.

If you’ve been around the blog, you’d know that I don’t use this as a space to rant or to make a big deal of things, but there’s something that I’ve got to talk about and I’ve got to do it here.

My kids go to Gongshang Primary School. It’s a great school with great teachers. Truett has been blessed with really nice, caring teachers who go above and beyond their academic learning duties to ensure that the kids are nurtured and cared for. And Kirsten adores her form teacher, whom she describes as the funniest, kindest, best-in-the-universe teacher ever. From my interactions with her these past 6 months, I’m inclined to agree.

This is part of the post where things start to go very bad. I have a dear, dear friend whose kids also go to this school. Poh and Josephine are the sort of friends one is grateful to find in a lifetime and we’ve spent many fun hours babysitting their kids.

We’ve recently discovered that two of their kids have been unfortunate to be in classes where the teacher (same teacher for both kids) has been abusing the kids in her class both physically and emotionally for several months.

Abuse?? That’s serious.

Yes, it is.

The Incidents:

1. The one with the kneeling.

On 2 separate occasions, students who were difficult in her class were made to come to the front and kneel down next to her desk in full view of the entire class as punishment.

Kneel. Seriously, KNEEL??!!

Why is this an acceptable form of punishment for a child??? Even if the teacher considered herself to be the goddess deity of divine discipline, there is no reason why kids should be made to kneel before her in remorse. This is wrong on so many levels, I can’t even.

2. The one with the SUMPAH.

Not as bad as kneeling, but one kid was made to put up 3 fingers and swear to the entire class that he would not be naughty ever again.

SUMPAH, ok, SUMPAH.

3. The one with the taunting and name calling.

One time, a kid who had myopia walked up to the front of the class to have a closer look at the board and got scolded for doing so. When he explained his poor eyesight, she said, “Too bad that you can’t see, go get new specs!”

Another kid did the same thing and was told, “Go back to your seat! Go get new specs, you don’t have money to buy one?!”

Kids that forgot to bring their science books 2 days in a row were called “retarded monkeys“. Classy.

4. The one with the throwing of things.

So far, she’s thrown a stapler, a water bottle, and many markers in the direction of kids whom she deemed was being naughty, with a marker actually hitting a child on the lip.

On this matter, upon investigation, her defence was that the marker slipped out of her hand and accidentally hit the child in the face. I’m no expert at throwing things, but in my entire life, whenever I’ve had things slip out of my hands accidentally, they’ve landed on myself or within 50cm of my body 100% of the time. 0% of the time has it flown across a room and hit someone else in the face. There was this one time when I flung a popcorn kernel at the husband and hit him in the face, but that time was completely on purpose.

Also, it doesn’t explain all the other times she threw things but missed. Surely objects can’t be accidentally flying out of her hand at students with such alarming frequency.

In fact, the students in the class all know that the teacher enjoys throwing things so they have to be alert and dodge when it happens, which is kind of like playing a terrible game of whack-a-mole where they have to be the mole.

5. The one with the humiliation.

On several occasions, she publicly called out a student whom she knew was a Christian, told him that he was a disgrace to God and should be ashamed of himself.

This was painful to hear this because we all make mistakes in life and kids (or adults!) should not be told that they are a disgrace to God.

What’s even more heartbreaking is that this kid went home after hearing this, held his Bible, went to the store room alone and sobbed. This makes me so sad and so mad at the same time.

6. The one with the threatening.

These incidents have been going on over a period of several months, and different parents have flagged up isolated cases to the school. Upon discovering this, the teacher intimidated the kids and warned them against complaining to their parents, along the lines of “I KNOW SOMEBODY COMPLAINED ABOUT ME. I WILL NOT SAY YOUR NAME BUT I KNOW WHO IT IS…”

I’m a big believer in innocent until proven guilty and a proper investigation has to happen, but as it stands, these incidents have been witnessed by many students in the class (plus a teaching assistant) and corroborated by several parents so as far as credibility goes, it seems very very unlikely that all these students would lie so convincingly about this one teacher.

Okay, so what’s been done?

Complaints against this teacher has been flagged up as early as March this year, with the form teacher and Science HOD being alerted about different incidents.

On Monday morning of this week, my friends met with the school principal to stage an intervention, and so far, this is the situation. The school has agreed to remove this teacher from teaching core subjects in these affected classes, but she will be reassigned to teach non-core subjects to other new victims. According to the principal, this is as much as they can do.

While it’s good that the school has acted swiftly, this resolution poses 2 problems.

1. The teacher will still be physically present in the school, where she will be able to ambush the students who told on her to exact revenge. She has proven that she is vindictive enough to threaten the kids and will go to great lengths to make sure they suffer, so all she needs is one opportunity with one kid alone in an empty classroom or hallway to abuse them as she pleases.

Sure, maybe this won’t happen and the kids will be safe, but if I know that there’s a possibility of danger being posed to my child every single day, I can’t possibly continue to put him in harm’s way.

2. Shuffling her to other classes doesn’t stop the abuse, it just gives her new victims to abuse. Perhaps she may be smarter about this in future, but the next time a child misbehaves or infuriates her in class, she’s just going repeat the abuse. With the knowledge that she has a track record of behaving in this manner, it’s our responsibility to protect these kids too.

While the investigations are ongoing, they’ve asked the principal to suspend the teacher from all interactions with students and reshuffle her to a desk job at MOE, but according to the principal, this is not possible.

They’ve also contacted MOE regarding this issue, only to be told that the teacher cannot be reassigned out of the school.

What next?

I don’t know.

I’m not here to name and shame. But I do know that kids are being abused by a teacher who is supposed to educate and nurture them, not humiliate them and abuse them. This isn’t right. And now that this teacher is facing disciplinary action, it’s not right that she’s still physically present in the school to exact her revenge when the opportunity presents itself.

It’s really hard to be in a position where you’re helpless, having to send your kids into an environment where they’re in harm’s way for 6 hours a day every single day, not being able to protect them.

All I know is that the kids’ well-being is paramount and we need to do whatever it takes to make things right.

:stompfeet: Furious to know such a teacher exist!

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Teacher from Gongshang Primary bullying pupils!

Postby sembgal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I could sympathize with the blogger. The way Gongshang is dealing with the situation is 换汤不换药。

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Steadyberry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:54 pm

It happened in my kids' school too but not as serious. 1 teacher likes to call the kids "monkey". My ds ex-teacher flung stacks of papers on the floor & asked the the kids to pick them up when the kids were noisy. Once, she even threw a chair. But she was smart enough that the chair did not hit anyone & she even told the kids that she will report everything to the principal. So if anyone dares to complain, the principal will know that she threw papers and chair because they were noisy. So no one dares to complain.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:53 am

SINGAPORE — Several parents, unhappy with how a maths and science teacher was disciplining students in Gongshang Primary School, have lodged complaints with the school and the Ministry of Education (MOE).

According to the parents, the female teacher from the school in Tampines — who has been relieved of her teaching duties and cannot be named as investigations into the case are still ongoing — had resorted to abusive punishment of her students in the classes she taught.

The punishments ranged from the students being called names, having to kneel beside the teacher’s table, and getting objects thrown at them.

Parents TODAY spoke to say this happened from as early as March this year. The teacher also called students who had forgotten to bring their science textbooks “a bunch of retarded monkeys”, said Ms Karen Tan, whose Primary 5 son was among the forgetful students.

The 42-year-old accountant added that her son, who has high myopia, had to constantly walk nearer to the whiteboard during lessons in class.

The teacher was said to have told the boy: “Too bad you can’t see. Go get new spectacles.”

To other students who did the same thing, she allegedly said: “Don’t you have the money to get new ones?”

In another incident that occurred before the school holidays in June, the teacher is said to have made a classmate of Ms Tan’s son sit on the floor beside her.

The student, whom Ms Tan said was “a little more playful than the rest”, was a little disruptive, and in an apparent fit of anger, the teacher allegedly threw a whiteboard marker at the boy’s head.

Ms Tan noted that while other teachers of the Primary 5 class lectured the students, only this teacher punished them to such an extent.

Ms Josephine Chua, whose son is also in the same class, told TODAY that the students often “have to dodge, because they never know what is going to get thrown their way”.

The 43-year-old homemaker said another parent had told their child’s form teacher about the teacher’s actions in March, while the science head of department was informed about the matter in April.

Ms Chua and her husband met the school’s management on Monday to discuss the teacher’s case.

TODAY understands that on Tuesday, the school sent out a circular to parents and students to inform them that the teacher had been transferred to teach non-core subjects in the school, such as art and social studies, with effect from the same day.

Her classes have been taken over by other teachers, and she is also no longer the form teacher of her class.

Mr George Cheah, the school’s vice-principal (administration), told TODAY: “The school takes any misconduct of our teachers very seriously. After receiving the parents’ feedback, the school leaders met the parents to understand their concerns.

“Our students’ welfare remains our top priority.”

Ms Chua told TODAY that the school’s decision “belittles the severity of the abuse”, and that the parents hope the teacher will be transferred out of the school, and into a non-teaching role.

Both Ms Chua and Ms Tan said they had met the teacher before during the parent-teacher sessions held before the June holidays. They described her as “patient, soft-spoken” and “cordial”.

The teacher’s alleged actions have also been detailed in a blog about motherhood, Mother Inc.

In response to TODAY’s queries, an MOE spokesperson said: “Teachers who fail to comply with our standards of conduct and discipline will be subjected to disciplinary action.

“The teacher has been relieved of her teaching duties while investigations are ongoing.”

http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/prim ... t-students

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Thought teacher meltdowns are rather common? Someone posted something similar here a few months ago. Throwing of marker pen, hurling insults and hurtful remarks at P1 kids.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 pm

An occasional meltdown still acceptable, especially if faced with very challenging students. But if it is his/her modus operandi, then it cannot be acceptable.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby superkiasudad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Awful. Just awful. Not in this day and age.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby galaxyraider » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm surprised that the school simply assigned her to new victims. Why can't MOE step in and replace the teacher?

galaxyraider
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby floppy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:00 pm

galaxyraider wrote:I'm surprised that the school simply assigned her to new victims. Why can't MOE step in and replace the teacher?

What happen to "innocent until proven guilty"?

I believe investigations into those alleged abuses are underway.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby galaxyraider » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:18 pm

floppy wrote:
galaxyraider wrote:I'm surprised that the school simply assigned her to new victims. Why can't MOE step in and replace the teacher?

What happen to "innocent until proven guilty"?

I believe investigations into those alleged abuses are underway.

The right SOP is to temporarily suspend the teacher and not to assign her to another class while investigation is ongoing.

galaxyraider
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time