Irresponsible & entitled Parent and the Public Library

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Irresponsible & entitled Parent and the Public Library

Postby grimm » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-on-the-web/library-fines-cost-more-than-book

This mother is a champion - You did something wrong by hogging 2 books for 6 months and expect your fine to be waived. When it is not 100% waived, you write to the newspapers to complain, that now you have a phobia of going to public libraries. :slapshead:

And ST publishes it. :slapshead:

On the other hand, maybe they are publishing it to prove a point, i.e. Govt and public bodies have to deal with idiots like these so cut us some slack. :lol:

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Irresponsible & entitled Parent and the Public Library

Postby love1001 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi, this reminds me of a similar encounter. 2 years ago, when my elder one was in P1, she borrowed a few books from the mobile library that went to her school. I was not aware what she borrowed and was shocked to find out the overdue books and the fine only few months later. It was really not intentional or irresponsible. Somehow, I managed to get partial of the fine waived off and that was when I also found out that I can register for sms reminders that linked my DD's account to mine. 1 week or so before the due date, I will get sms reminders to return the books. This helps me keep track of what my girls borrowed. By default, I feel library should provide this kind of service to all parents, unless we opt out.

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathtuition88 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:20 pm

There is a NLB service to send email reminders when the book is about to be due. Hence, the main fault is with the parent who forgot to return the books.

On the other hand, there should be a reasonable cap to the overdue fines too.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Using public services, I tend to lean more towards the needs of observing rules and regulations; otherwise, it will be difficult for the admin staff to decide whose charges they can waive and whose they can't and that may give rise to another set of 'unfair' treatment problems when parents 'compare notes'.

If it really needs to take a fine to learn a lesson, so be it. If after paying the fine, the child/parents can learn about responsibility, then it's probably a good sum paid.

Somehow I am willing to pay fines to libraries if my books are overdue, taking them as supporting public libraries and to punish for my own forgetfulness.

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:59 pm

mathtuition88 wrote:On the other hand, there should be a reasonable cap to the overdue fines too.

I don't know if NLB does this, but some libraries will tell the patron how much the replacement cost of the book is if the fine is very large. If the fine exceeds the replacement cost, then the patron can choose to pay for a replacement and keep the book. However, replacement cost isn't just the price of the book but will also include an admin and processing fee.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bluebellas » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
mathtuition88 wrote:On the other hand, there should be a reasonable cap to the overdue fines too.

I don't know if NLB does this, but some libraries will tell the patron how much the replacement cost of the book is if the fine is very large. If the fine exceeds the replacement cost, then the patron can choose to pay for a replacement and keep the book. However, replacement cost isn't just the price of the book but will also include an admin and processing fee.

The patron can check with the CS. The last time I wanted to pay for a misplaced book, the staff was kind to check the fines against the cost of "buying" the book from the library and advise accordingly.

bluebellas
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Technospaz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:42 pm

There will always be folks like these. You can't run away from them. The best thing you can do is to use them as a lesson on how we can do better as people.

Technospaz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pacetone » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Glad that she has the phobia and hope that she won't go to the library anymore.

Once I lost a library book and immediately informed the CS and paid for the lost book. I only blame myself for losing the book.

pacetone
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm

I received sms reminder from nlb a few days before books are due

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time