Expensive home, elite school?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Expensive home, elite school?

Postby grimm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 pm

http://themiddleground.sg/2016/07/26/expensive-home-elite-school/

"A study focusing on how the distance between school and home affects income inequality across generations has found that children from less privileged backgrounds are generally hindered from succeeding in the education system.

Why? Main reason: “Better” schools tend to be located in expensive neighbourhoods."

I suspect this is going to drive a lot of folks here bananas.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Expensive home, elite school?

Postby sushi88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:50 pm

We are talking about primary school situation?

I think it is inevitable the neighbourhood defines the kind of people you want to be associated with rightfully or wrongfully...so when people choose the schools for their kids, they are also choosing the elite neighbourhood.

Which is why I have been against removing alumni priority because if everything goes strictly by distance, then these schools along the bukit timah belt will not have any HDB dwellers' kids in it with diverse backgrounds. With alumni and other categories not related to distance, there can still be a mix of kids in there from different neighbourhoods, especially when Singapore is not a big place to make travelling impossible.

We also can't say to remove all schools from the elite neighbourhood, or maybe we can now? :lol: Then the rich will cry foul that they have no schools within 1km of where they reside and it is unfair.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby grimm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes, it's about primary schools with a strong focus about the primary schools on the Bukit Timah belt.

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:19 am

The 2 students used some P1 registration TUR data from kiasuparents.com.

Hope they've informed CKS before they inserted the footnote/citation...haha.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Technospaz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 am

I think that's the same everywhere around the world, right? Good schools naturally result in heightened prices for nearby properties.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario too.

Good schools - More expensive homes - Higher income residents - More money to spend on tuition - Better grades - Good schools

Technospaz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

1 people like this post

Postby limlim » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:32 pm

One of the top P school, RSS, is surrounded by 3rm HDB flats.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:16 pm

"The study divided the schools into three clusters based on the prices of the properties within a 1km radius."

"the third cluster represented schools situated in relatively inexpensive neighborhoods with a weighted average price of $322 per sq ft to $642 per sq ft."

"However, some renowned primary schools were still situated in neighbourhoods with inexpensive housing... two were located in cluster three, including Ai Tong School, which is situated in Bishan."

Probably the first time I see Bishan being linked with inexpensive neighbourhood. Apparently, the researchers haven't been house hunting in Bishan or Thomson.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 pm

limlim wrote:One of the top P school, RSS, is surrounded by 3rm HDB flats.

I think it would be better to have a study that look at household disposable income vs "elite-ness" of the school.
Not all who live in expensive homes are rich and not all who lives in cheap homes (especially bought off the resale market) are poor.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:38 pm

I don't know much about good primary schools - my kids didn't get in as the parents were not from any :lol:

And indeed it's likely that when there is good school, sure got parents want to move there to stand a higher chance of getting their kids into it. Then with increased demand, and regular supply, prices will go up. The quantum might depend.

It's more obvious if the school is located in/around private housing estate.

The few better schools i know of (i only know a few for very different reasons - and it's not that these are the best):

- Ai Tong, nearby got lots of private houses, although there are also quite a lot of HDBs.
- Rosyth, used to be right smacked inside private estate of landed properties, but had now moved to Serangoon North, with only HDBs around it, and industrial estate behind.
- Nan Hua, also has landed/condos nearby, but on other side there's HDB too.
- Pei Chun, this one so far as i know, got no private nearby in the last 50 yr, although got one being planned now. There are of course condos in Lor 1/2/3 of Toa Payoh, but are at least 5-6 bus stops away. Not sure the old old HDBs around there prices got climb how high...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grimm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 pm

I will point out the study assumes that the majority of the schools' students will stay near the school which may not hold true for the schools with large alumni.

I think a more straightforward comparison will use student's household income

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time