Definition of an elite primary school?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Definition of an elite primary school?

Postby grimm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 pm

I have tried googling but there isn't seem to be a clear definition of what is an elite school.

The closest I can find to a specific definition is from paper quoted in this article: http://www.srx.com.sg/ask-home-prof/20072/the-cost-of-elite-schools-in-singapore.

I assume Type 1 as defined by the paper quoted in the article are elite schools?

Type 1 - Integrated Program (IP) schools and affiliated primary schools as well as Gifted Education Programme (GEP) primary schools.

Type 2 - students were from government-aided schools and autonomous school that don’t offer the IP

Type 3 - students were from government schools.

Just wondering if that's what everyone thinks or are there other interpretations like such as schools which are awarded MOE's SDA or SEA?

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Definition of an elite primary school?

Postby grapevine » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:48 pm

What are MOE's SDA or SEA? For most parents, elite schools are the popular ones, where you need to ballot for a place. Lots of factors contribute to popularity and this can vary across the years. Some schools that were popular in the 80's and 90's are not popular now. Nowadays without the release for individual performance results for PSLE, it becomes more difficult to determine if a school is as good as it was in the past. So most people go by popularity. And popular schools become the new "elite".

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby grimm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 pm

I was just wondering if based on popularity, would Rulang, Sengkang Green, Northland be considered elite schools? But somehow, I don't get the sense that's what most are referring to when talking about elite schools?

SEA and SDA are the top 2 highest awards MOE awards to primary schools and there are not many schools who get it. In this old list (http://sg.theasianparent.com/primary-schools-rankings-top-21/2/), only RGPS, Rulang and St.Hilda's were the recipients.

Wouldn't these schools be candidates for the elite schools?

I also noticed MOE no longer publicize these awards but it is listed under http://sis.moe.gov.sg/. Probably another "part of the every school is a good school" marketing... :lol:

(SDA - School of Distinction Award, SEA - School Excellence Award)

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:47 pm

grimm, should your title be "definition of an elite school" since it includes IP schools?"

I believe SDA and SEA will become history because now they would identify the niches for each school and publish that instead to make all schools good schools and which one caters to the needs of your kids.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grimm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 pm

sushi88, I think the original article associates the affiliated primary schools of IP schools as one of the Type 1 schools (and potentially the primary schools that we tend to associate as "elite").

I'm more interested in the supposedly "elite" primary schools because some of them don't seem very elite to me.... :lol: :lol:

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 pm

grimm wrote:sushi88, I think the original article associates the affiliated primary schools of IP schools as one of the Type 1 schools (and potentially the primary schools that we tend to associate as "elite").

I'm more interested in the supposedly "elite" primary schools because some of them don't seem very elite to me.... :lol: :lol:

Ah..ic..

You are right, elite schools are not popular schools alone from what I understand....It fulfills 2 conditions, rich neighbourhood and popular schools.

There are many popular schools like South View, Rulang, Rosyth, St Hilda's, Nan Hua etc but the neighbourhood is heartlanders so they have not been labelled as elite schools yet.

Just sharing...

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/blog/20 ... singapore/

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time