Places to buy Lego

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Places to buy Lego

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:42 am

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

Has anyone bought Lego from online stores like ToyStation and BricksWorld? Are they reliable? Or are there any other places that you can recommend? I just want a box of assorted bricks and a couple of bases, and the 2 stores I named above have prices a little lower than Toys R Us. I'm not looking for any particular set. Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Places to buy Lego

Postby MyPillow » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:19 am

slmkhoo wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

Has anyone bought Lego from online stores like ToyStation and BricksWorld? Are they reliable? Or are there any other places that you can recommend? I just want a box of assorted bricks and a couple of bases, and the 2 stores I named above have prices a little lower than Toys R Us. I'm not looking for any particular set. Thanks!

i bought fr bricksworld a few times , the retail front . U go down may see some promo sets (theme or assorted)
But most time I wait and bought fr dept store when there is store wide promo eg 20% off at Metro, taka ,OG etc

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 am

We now buy from ToysHunt or ad hoc pop-up stores.

If it's not a gift for someone's who's a hobbyist, but for some school project, you can even consider imitation Lego parts from taobao.com. But fyi, they don't fit very well...

We also bought from Legoland, but I cannot recall if it's cheaper after conversion.

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6374&hilit=lego&start=20

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:13 am

Legoland is not much cheaper 2 yrs ago when I compared there n sing.

Js, if your ds into weapons for his mini fig. Can check out bricksarm website , full of weapons n artillery - can chg minifig to WWII German mini soldiers

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:34 am

MyPillow wrote:Legoland is not much cheaper 2 yrs ago when I compared there n sing.

Js, if your ds into weapons for his mini fig. Can check out bricksarm website , full of weapons n artillery - can chg minifig to WWII German mini soldiers

MP: Yeah, it's cheaper in our local dept stores when there're sales (with credit card).

ok i'll check bricks arm out. But he is into Star Wars models and figurines and mindstorms.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mama_lemon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:36 am

Any of you use carousell? There are some good sellers there. I bought a few figures from there. To add on to existing sets.

mama_lemon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:53 am

if you're talking local, I understand that those above named shops have loyalty programs that gives discount. I buy my sets from HK (when travelling/friends going there) - prices at some places there easily 20-40% cheaper compared with SG prices (typically bigger the set, bigger the price difference). But note that Toys r us HK price is about the same as SG. I've only been to LEGOLAND MYS once and found the prices to be not cheaper than SG - so would never buy stuff from there unless it's limited edition.

Some Carousell sellers offer good prices. But do be careful of non authentic lego (there are ways to authenticate if it's real) in these sites.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummychua » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 am

hquek wrote:if you're talking local, I understand that those above named shops have loyalty programs that gives discount. I buy my sets from HK (when travelling/friends going there) - prices at some places there easily 20-40% cheaper compared with SG prices (typically bigger the set, bigger the price difference). But note that Toys r us HK price is about the same as SG. I've only been to LEGOLAND MYS once and found the prices to be not cheaper than SG - so would never buy stuff from there unless it's limited edition.

Some Carousell sellers offer good prices. But do be careful of non authentic lego (there are ways to authenticate if it's real) in these sites.

where in hk you get lego? heading hk in dec.

i'm a lego annual pass holder, yup it's not cheap to buy from them. i wait for lego sales or department store sales to buy.

mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:10 am

I think we lugged back some lego sets from HK before. But they were from Tai Yuen Street Market 太原街, the toys street, which also carries some fake legos.

The real Lego paradise is at Yau Ma Tei, In's Point. But we haven't explored that place yet.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 pm

jetsetter wrote:
MyPillow wrote:Legoland is not much cheaper 2 yrs ago when I compared there n sing.

MP: Yeah, it's cheaper in our local dept stores when there're sales (with credit card).

ok i'll check bricks arm out. But he is into Star Wars models and figurines and mindstorms.

Any idea when there will be sales? I'm not in a hurry, but as I'm not a shopper, I never know when there are sales!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time