ST My Points - 6 A1s 4A2s can't get into Hwa Chong

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

ST My Points - 6 A1s 4A2s can't get into Hwa Chong

Postby tankee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm

This appears on Straits Times My Point on 6Feb10

"...MS TOH SIEW TIN: 'I agree with Mr David Goh ('O-level's A-level disadvantage: Have more IP schools', Jan 23) that the Integrated Programme (IP) has created a space crunch in Singapore's top junior colleges (JCs). My daughter scored 10 distinctions - six A1s and four A2s - but failed to win a place in Hwa Chong, her first-choice JC. Distinctions in two additional subjects, Music Elective Programme and Higher Chinese, give no added advantage over IP students. Naturally, I regret not enrolling her in the IP or channelling her to the direct school admission programme earlier. Perhaps Hwa Chong or the Ministry of Education can explain why she failed to gain entry to her first-choice JC?' ..."

what's your opinon?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:16 pm

1. Did she try to appeal?

2. What is her points, anyone know how to calculate?
6-1(cca?)-1(HCL?)=4?

3. My niece with 4 points(after all the reduction) cannot go to RJC Science Stream so she has to detour to VJC. Isn't it the reality?

Postby skunk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Normal mah....6 A1 4 A2 is very good, but not good enough for the top schools.

Even during my days, it often wasn't good enough, depending on the cohort and stream.

I was from The Chinese High School, and often, entire hordes of people had such scores. I'm serious, even though i wasn't one of them LOL

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:27 pm

luckily my DS is only P1 this year. This is a long time more before we get to that stage and by then the system would probably had changed a few times over.

or maybe it is unlucky ... as it is getting more and more complex. :(

tankee
Site Admin

Re: ST My Points - 6 A1s 4A2s can't get into Hwa Chong

Postby VitoRelax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:34 am

tankee wrote:This appears on Straits Times My Point on 6Feb10

"...MS TOH SIEW TIN: 'I agree with Mr David Goh ('O-level's A-level disadvantage: Have more IP schools', Jan 23) that the Integrated Programme (IP) has created a space crunch in Singapore's top junior colleges (JCs). My daughter scored 10 distinctions - six A1s and four A2s - but failed to win a place in Hwa Chong, her first-choice JC. Distinctions in two additional subjects, Music Elective Programme and Higher Chinese, give no added advantage over IP students. Naturally, I regret not enrolling her in the IP or channelling her to the direct school admission programme earlier. Perhaps Hwa Chong or the Ministry of Education can explain why she failed to gain entry to her first-choice JC?' ..."

what's your opinon?

What is her problem ? Like to complain so much ? What is there for MOE to explain ? All the criteria selection was done in a transparent manner. MOE just have to say that "your daughter is not good enough ...there are better students that got 10A1s ... ".

If anything, blame on her own decision of not choosing IP. Maybe she thought too highly of her daughter at that time ? Maybe she thought her daughter can get 10A1s ?

But does MOE or Hwa Chong owes her daughter a place in Hwa Chong JC & must explain to her ? The answer is obvious, isn't ?

Furthermore, what is the big deal ? It is not end of the world if cannot get into Hwa Chong JC. Goto other JC lah ....

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: ST My Points - 6 A1s 4A2s can't get into Hwa Chong

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:56 am

VitoRelax wrote:[

What is her problem ? Like to complain so much ? What is there for MOE to explain ? All the criteria selection was done in a transparent manner. MOE just have to say that "your daughter is not good enough ...there are better students that got 10A1s ... ".

If anything, blame on her own decision of not choosing IP. Maybe she thought too highly of her daughter at that time ? Maybe she thought her daughter can get 10A1s ?

But does MOE or Hwa Chong owes her daughter a place in Hwa Chong JC & must explain to her ? The answer is obvious, isn't ?

Furthermore, what is the big deal ? It is not end of the world if cannot get into Hwa Chong JC. Goto other JC lah ....

Aido...Ah Pek, you eat wrong medicine ah...Don't say lidat la.....
Don't choose IP is because maybe at PSLE time cannot ma or simply not kiasu......then they thought got second chance then kenna all these stiff competition again. As parents, surely we can appreciate why this parent angst over this, painful leh...children already worked so hard still cannot squeeze in. I think this parent never read KSP Forum enough...to get into HCI from 'O' levels probably need only 1-2 points.

I can only say "suay" the competition is so stiff lor and it just gets stiffer(with alot of tuition & enrichment) which is why parents must come to KSP here to de-stress by writing the humsup story.

One thing I agree with you is "take it easy", don't get into HCI also nevermind la... One door closes, another one opens and perhaps this new door leads to the Money/Career Kingdom even better......

Postby Blobbi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 am

On first reading of the article, I :faint: , cold sweat broke out. If now already like that, when my ah boy (year 2003) reach that point, sure lagi worse, right? No wonder people talk about DSA when kids only in kindy. But hey, u're right, ks2me. When one door shuts, another door opens. Got other JCs mah. Maybe poly route is better too, like for Insider's daughter.

More people in the world means that the conventional routes are jam- packed, but it also means that there many new routes that are being created to cater to the surging population. Steady lah. (I must re-read this when my turn comes).

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:12 am

Blobbi...when I read your post, I cannot help but imagine the traffic on CTE and PIE during peak hours... and guess what? I always like to find an exit somewhere and take a road lesser travelled... Does this mean anything? :? :wink:

Postby tankee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:43 am

there are other less travelled roads ... scenic route?

eg Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Blobbi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 am

ks2me wrote:Blobbi...when I read your post, I cannot help but imagine the traffic on CTE and PIE during peak hours... and guess what? I always like to find an exit somewhere and take a road lesser travelled... Does this mean anything? :? :wink:

Keke. I set my GPS that way too. Last time, shopping meant Orchard Road. Now, no need to step out of the suburban malls at all!

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time