Things to do right on CNY

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Things to do right on CNY

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Just wondering if there are any "superstitious" people out there like me??? Since young, my mum subscribe to some of the things that we should not do during CNY such as :
* Use of knife and scissors on CNY
She would pre-cut all her stuff. But my mil don't practise that so it was an adjustment for me initially.
* Cannot wash hair on 1st day
* It's a must to wear new clothes particularly shoes
* We should wear red and not black

In addition, I realised that as I grow older and more concerned about our career luck, we may tend to do additional stuff to increase our good luck for the year. Eg. last year, she asked us to put some beans behind our door,etc.... which we did :oops: No harm....

Also, for this year, she has given me the instruction on some watchouts that I know I will definitely try out as no harm.

Not trying to drive religious stuff here. But I am those who will pray to tai sui and light the changming light whether it's a good/ bad year for my horoscope. My rationale is there is no harm doing more than less.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

hi mmm,

Not sure if I would qualify as superstitious, but I do get via email stuff like when is best day to start work, what colours to wear. Those I will try to abide - as long as it's not painful (like take many days of leave after the national holidays).

But otherwise, have cut down a lot. It's now my kids who get all brand new clothes during the NY; I don't bother buying clothes JUST for CNY (will buy along the way - but it's not with CNY in view).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kuzco » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 pm

We were not that pantang but I can only remember that my mum used to fill the rice bin before CNY and told me not to sweep the floor on the 1st day of CNY.

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes.... I do that too. This year my sil forwarded some of those stuff to us. In the file, it indicated that it is already CNY as lichun is 4th Feb. Initially I was thinking... maybe I should take the day off to avoid issues. But it was funny... it was indicated in the file that one must work on that day to ensure that we will continue to have a job for rest of the year.

I also know of friends who will be following the day to start work. They also indicated that we must buy ru yi to put in our wallet for career luck.... Guess what.... the ru yi ran out of stock :!: Anyway, we managed to get it in the end (just hoping for a smooth year). Another friend was doing some last minute search on 3rd Feb and finally she managed to find that.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm

kuzco wrote: fill the rice bin before CNY and told me not to sweep the floor on the 1st day of CNY.

We do this do and also we try to stay up late to shou(3) shui (4).

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

I do not believe in any of these but have been practising some of them to please my elders.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

MMM wrote:Yes.... I do that too. This year my sil forwarded some of those stuff to us. In the file, it indicated that it is already CNY as lichun is 4th Feb. Initially I was thinking... maybe I should take the day off to avoid issues. But it was funny... it was indicated in the file that one must work on that day to ensure that we will continue to have a job for rest of the year.

Oh yes! I forgot that bit. On that day, my team turned up in bright red....and we went our separate ways after work to the bank to deposit cheque. Just something done in the spirit of the day. :lol:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mathsparks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 pm

beans behind the door? filling up rice bin? cannot wash hair on day1? never heard before leh. :?

we also dont sweep on day1, but vacuum/mop only. hope that's ok. It's only in recent years that I decided to get new undies for the kids..to which they ask me, what for? Not like anyone can tell. even buying the nian gao, we only started doing so last year as my girl had acquired a taste for fried nian gao.

actually quite hard to avoid black color. So, as long as not visiting elderly, we close one eye when the kids wanna wear stuffs with some black in them.

as for best day to start work? it's usually day3 for me, dont wanna waste my leave since kids are in school, anyway.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm

hquek wrote: Oh yes! I forgot that bit. On that day, my team turned up in bright red....and we went our separate ways after work to the bank to deposit cheque. Just something done in the spirit of the day. :lol:

:lol: That was funny. I was contemplating as my wardrobe only has 1 color... black. I also didn't really find any red clothes I like for CNY so I only have 1 set and was like.... should I wear it on 4th Feb or 14th Feb.... anyway.... I didn't wear red on 4th Feb.

But I did bank transfer that arrive in my bank on 4th Feb. Dunno counted or not.

My mum followed those instructions on the newspaper. Eg. day and time to decorate her place... She did that and she told me this morning that she strike $250. She was happy. She said it's not the amount that matters... it's the luck of striking 4D as an indication of goodluck for rest of year. Haha.... but I am not a 4D buyer. Just pray for smooth career luck.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

We (my hubby actually)still do the following :
At least the lights in the hall must be ON (for 2 nights)
Cannot sweep floors on the 1st day
MUST wear new clothes, shoes and underwears on the 1st day
New bedsheets/curtains
Hubby tried to sleep late (believe to lengthen the parent's lives)
Cannot break anything on the duration of the CNY (15 days)
Keep all sharp stuffs like kniefs in the cupboard

ENOUGH?!?!?!

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time