Obligations of NS

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Obligations of NS

Postby kangks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 am

Hi all,

I have 3 boys, and I have been posted overseas since 2016 together with my family when the eldest was in Primary 5, age 11.

Questions: Do my boys have to return for NS? From https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... -and-bond/ it seems that only age 13 onwards if you go overseas then you need exit bonds, does that mean age 12 and below got chance to be exempted?

This makes a difference because if he has the obligations, then he cannot do overseas universities, and might as well come back to Singapore for post primary education and follow throughout.

Then I need to figure out about their secondary school because he will miss the PSLE which I read on separate threads MOE has other placement options like SPEARS etc.

Thank you for any advices!

KS

kangks
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Obligations of NS

Postby superkiasudad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:35 am

My understanding is, you have to fulfill the following conditions :

1) Left Singapore before the age of 11
2) Did not benefit from the privileges of Singapore citizenship since age 11
3) Did not renew or use Singapore passport or Singapore IC after age 11
4) Applied for Exit Permit and deferment of National Service (with the intention to renounce citizenship when age of 21)

Your boy can then legally renounce Singapore Citizenship at age of 21 and will not be liable for NS. Best to contact mindef directly and check the correct procedure.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:10 am

kangks wrote:Hi all,

I have 3 boys, and I have been posted overseas since 2016 together with my family when the eldest was in Primary 5, age 11.

Questions: Do my boys have to return for NS? From https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... -and-bond/ it seems that only age 13 onwards if you go overseas then you need exit bonds, does that mean age 12 and below got chance to be exempted?

This makes a difference because if he has the obligations, then he cannot do overseas universities, and might as well come back to Singapore for post primary education and follow throughout.

Then I need to figure out about their secondary school because he will miss the PSLE which I read on separate threads MOE has other placement options like SPEARS etc.

KS

As long as your son as a Sg passport, he is supposed to return for NS. I know families with kids who were born while they were overseas, but still returned to do NS. The exit bond applies once the boy reaches a certain age, but doesn't mean that younger ones can be exempted from NS just because they are overseas.

It is not necessary that not going to an overseas university before NS means that your child should return to Singapore for sec education, although it will be important for the boy to have some time to adjust to Singapore before NS. You have to assess your child - some need more time and maybe should return for the last couple of years before NS; others don't need that time, especially if they have spent enough time in Singapore over the years not to be too "foreign". I know 2 families whose boys just returned last year after completing grade 12 overseas; one just enlisted for NS, and the other will enlist next month.

After NS, your son can go to university either in Singapore or overseas.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 am

As long as your son is a Singaporean (even if his passport has expired), he cannot escape from NS.

NS is a very sensitive issue, better do it right so as not to jeopardize the kids' future. And you have 3 boys.

You might want to take a look at this.

https://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewt ... p?t=114930

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

kangks wrote:Hi all,

KS

Hmm, very likely they must return to serve NS. 2016? You just left yah? No dual citizenship? If they are dual citizens, emigrated at a very young age, e.g. 2-3 yo, they can go to SG embassy to renounce SG citizenship at age 21.

However, Mindef had gone on record to say in Parliament that for dual citizens to renounce their citizenship at age 21, they must serve NS first. I think that apply to older teens based on various anecdotes shared by others online. There were exceptional cases that I came across among my cousins and my dh's cousins. Some could return, some couldn't and never did. If in doubt, check with Mindef.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wiimum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:05 pm

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time