How was reunion dinner? For us - a lesson of family tree

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How was reunion dinner? For us - a lesson of family tree

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39 pm

We had a special reunion dinner this year. Meant to eat out as we are in a foreign land but got invited by relatives here for dinner instead.
Past years usually at PILs place and if there is enough time, we will pop into my parents' place for round 2. I believe this is quite common practice.

It was fun to observe how others celebrate CNY.
The family has 3 kids but dinner was extended to the parents' siblings so there were more people to create the rowdiness.
It was a dinner of 4 generations and my dd was the only one in the youngest generation. She met her uncles and aunt, the youngest was 5 years old and she had to call him "uncle". At greeting phase, sorting out the family tree took us a while... :lol: so confusing.... :wink:

great-grandauntie
grand auntie/uncle (They are our elders but we are older than them)
auntie/uncles ------>(we are in the same generation as them but older than their parents!!! so hilarious :lol: )
my dd --> the baby generation (older than one of the uncles)

The children were great and fabulously brought up. The feast was a nice heart-warming meal cooked at home.

After dinner, we had Chinese tea served and some home-made mini donuts made by another family(their godchild's family) by their little girl.

I loved the feel of the family's happiness and closely-knitted warmth. The children are all so well-mannered and they showed great respect to their elders by interacting spontaneously instead of engaging in a PSP or DS lite. :lol:

How was yours?

Here is an interesting family tree to share:

Postby BlurBee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Seems like you are enjoying your reunion dinner. :celebrate:
You oversea?

ks2me wrote:Meant to eat out as we are in a foreign land but got invited by relatives here for dinner instead.

ks2me wrote:great-grandauntie
grand auntie/uncle (They are our elders but we are older than them)
auntie/uncles ------>(we are in the same generation as them but older than their parents!!! so hilarious :lol: )
my dd --> the baby generation (older than one of the uncles)

Yes, I do have a few nephews & nieces that are abt the same age as me.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ooptimizer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I have 2 - reunion lunch and reunion dinner.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 pm

We had 2 reunion dinners; one on Friday and one on Saturday. Nothing really special as both dinners are among close immediate family members that we meet every weekend.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 am

BlurBee wrote:Seems like you are enjoying your reunion dinner. :celebrate:
You oversea?

Yes, we had a great time. Yes overseas now.

BlurBee wrote:Yes, I do have a few nephews & nieces that are abt the same age as me.

Oh at least they have to call you aunt....so shiok right? We have to call them "aunt and uncle" and same for my dd albeit we are all older.....what a way to feel so very young again.... :lol:

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am

ooptimizer wrote:I have 2 - reunion lunch and reunion dinner.

First time I hear reunion lunch but that is indeed a good arrangement in order to attend 2 family gatherings. Good idea! :idea:

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 am

tankee wrote:We had 2 reunion dinners; one on Friday and one on Saturday. Nothing really special as both dinners are among close immediate family members that we meet every weekend.

Wah your family is really closely-knitted. Meet every weekend and still chiong to do 2 reunions.. *thumbs up*

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 am

ks2me wrote:
tankee wrote:We had 2 reunion dinners; one on Friday and one on Saturday. Nothing really special as both dinners are among close immediate family members that we meet every weekend.

Wah your family is really closely-knitted. Meet every weekend and still chiong to do 2 reunions.. *thumbs up*

immediate family ... has to be close right? :D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 am

tankee wrote:
ks2me wrote:

immediate family ... has to be close right? :D

errrr....some immediate family claw at each other, have you seen? :wink:

Postby carebear » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Looks like my family is so non traditional!
Every year, my in- laws, including sisters in-laws come over to my place for reunion dinner, then my parents will come at another round.
They rather have this arrangement cos i have a maid, whereas they don't.
My parents visit me rather than i visit them, cos they don't like visitors to their small home!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time