Kids' computer usage

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How often do you allow the kids to play computer games?

Only during school holidays
11%
Never
15%
Daily
26%
Only on weekends
19%
Others...
30%

Total votes : 27

Kids' computer usage

Postby MMM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Seeing my PSLE nephew's obsession with computer games, it made me wonder what are other parents' practise. All of us are very worried about his results as he is exhibiting a bochap attitude despite being sent for those thousands of dollars motivational camp. I understand from his parents that he is allowed to play the computer on a daily basis so long as he finished his work. We are calling out to his parents to keep his computer till PSLE is over.

In our case, we only allow our kids to play computer games during school holidays (not even weekends). The only exception is when their cousins are at our place and they play together. That is at most once a month. But if they have online homework, then yes, they are allowed to use the computer.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Kids' computer usage

Postby titank » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

MMM wrote:Seeing my PSLE nephew's obsession with computer games, it made me wonder what are other parents' practise. All of us are very worried about his results as he is exhibiting a bochap attitude despite being sent for those thousands of dollars motivational camp. I understand from his parents that he is allowed to play the computer on a daily basis so long as he finished his work. We are calling out to his parents to keep his computer till PSLE is over.

In our case, we only allow our kids to play computer games during school holidays (not even weekends). The only exception is when their cousins are at our place and they play together. That is at most once a month. But if they have online homework, then yes, they are allowed to use the computer.

Hi MMM,

I also have the same problem whether should I restrict to computer & internet usage just during the school holidays rather than weekend?

Radin Mas is very strong in IT & I don't think able to stick to just school holiday. Maybe weekend to a certain time limit on the computer.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Kids' computer usage

Postby MMM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

titank wrote:Radin Mas is very strong in IT & I don't think able to stick to just school holiday. Maybe weekend to a certain time limit on the computer.[/color]

I think I am fine with using computer to do those online homework or do email. I think this is acceptable. I don't think we should limit on such purpose. But I feel that we must limit on playing games.

I observed that in my nephews' case, they are "obsessed" with those online computer games. My son too but I try to limit him and he knows my "rules". I told him it's a big NO NO for him to play such games which I felt that it has fighting contents since the focus is to kill someone/ something. During hols, if I am home, I told them to be selective with games too eg. those games in BC website,etc.... I am ok but not too much of those fighting games.... Just remind me of the NTU undergrad who stab the lecturer.... But school days with those fighting or sometimes even FB games are out. As once you achieve a certain level, you want to try to hit the next... It's never ending quest for "better scores".

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm

I set my firewall to allow only Internet access to sites other than his school's website and Wikipedia after 6pm at night on weekdays. I don't allow him to install anything on his computer. So there's no way my son can bypass and do online gaming while we are not around.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I set my firewall to allow only Internet access to sites other than his school's website and Wikipedia after 6pm at night on weekdays. I don't allow him to install anything on his computer. So there's no way my son can bypass and do online gaming while we are not around.

and that's what my IT colleague did and thought too until he was proven otherwise by his elder boy.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

tankee wrote:and that's what my IT colleague did and thought too until he was proven otherwise by his elder boy.

Ahh... maybe his IT Kungfu is not strong enough :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 pm

heard that his boy initially by-passed the firewall using some download tool. When that was discovered and blocked, his boy booted up the PC using thumb-drive. Then that was discovered and blocked ...

I do not know what is the current state of the "arm-race" ...

tankee
Site Admin

Postby titank » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 pm

tankee wrote:heard that his boy initially by-passed the firewall using some download tool. When that was discovered and blocked, his boy booted up the PC using thumb-drive. Then that was discovered and blocked ...

I do not know what is the current state of the "arm-race" ...

Wow maybew the kids are future "Hackers"? Then even you put tons of firewall also no use. :!:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 am

my boy is quite obsessed with playing game now. I stopped him, after sometimes, I relax and started to let him play National Geographic game and now he keeps asking for more now. :x

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
tankee wrote:and that's what my IT colleague did and thought too until he was proven otherwise by his elder boy.

Ahh... maybe his IT Kungfu is not strong enough :)

Or the IT Kungfu was passed on to the boy liao... :wink:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Next

Return to Recess Time