Reusable bags - what to do with them?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Reusable bags - what to do with them?

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Other than the obvious? I keep getting them, and I can't use them up fast enough!

I carry a couple of reusable bags for grocery shopping, and they last for many months before they start falling apart. But I also order home delivery groceries from Honestbee every few weeks, and get a new reusable bag each time. They won't take them back to reuse, so what do I do with my growing pile of reusable bags? I don't want to ask them not to give me the bags (and I'm not sure they would anyway) as that would mean I will get even more plastic bags. Any ideas?

Isn't it ridiculous that reusable bags can't be reused by the company that supplies them?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Re: Reusable bags - what to do with them?

Post by pirate » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Use them as garbage bags? :siam:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:28 pm

pirate wrote:Use them as garbage bags? :siam:
Defeats the purpose, surely. I just find that Singapore's implementation of this is very bad - the use of plastic bags isn't being reduced much, and now we have another kind of bag to dispose of!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:46 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Isn't it ridiculous that reusable bags can't be reused by the company that supplies them?
I think there is a hygiene element to it, especially where food is concerned.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:10 pm

ammonite wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Isn't it ridiculous that reusable bags can't be reused by the company that supplies them?
I think there is a hygiene element to it, especially where food is concerned.
I guess so. So they shouldn't hand them out so freely? I still don't have a solution - any ideas?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Defeats the purpose, surely. I just find that Singapore's implementation of this is very bad - the use of plastic bags isn't being reduced much, and now we have another kind of bag to dispose of!
i also find that quite a no. of merchants giving reuseable bags as gift. just this wk, bought SCS cheese and HL milk, both have it. are we getting ready for the cut of use for plastic bags :lol: i personally find it useful probably due to having younger kids. i like to use that keep my tabao food and drink from home for kids to eat in car when I m fetching one another. Used it to carry my coffee flask and some other barang when I go classes/swimming pool/picnic. No I dont have that many bags as I dont order fm Honestbee, only plastic bags fm supermarket which I used as garbage bags.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ammonite » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:03 am

Do u mean it is a brand new unused bag that you were given? If so, when you order, perhaps you can add a message to say you don't want any. Another is to pack all those that you have nicely into a box and bring to church and tell people to help themselves?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 am

ammonite wrote:Do u mean it is a brand new unused bag that you were given? If so, when you order, perhaps you can add a message to say you don't want any. Another is to pack all those that you have nicely into a box and bring to church and tell people to help themselves?
Yes, brand new bag every time. Not sure if asking not to get it will help as it's also their "branding". And it will mean a lot more NTUC plastic bags (which I also have difficulty using up, but that's another story...). I wonder which are more environmentally unfriendly?

I could try giving them away as you suggest - but I think most people also have too many?
Last edited by slmkhoo on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:30 am

MrsKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
i also find that quite a no. of merchants giving reuseable bags as gift. just this wk, bought SCS cheese and HL milk, both have it. are we getting ready for the cut of use for plastic bags :lol: i personally find it useful probably due to having younger kids. i like to use that keep my tabao food and drink from home for kids to eat in car when I m fetching one another. Used it to carry my coffee flask and some other barang when I go classes/swimming pool/picnic. No I dont have that many bags as I dont order fm Honestbee, only plastic bags fm supermarket which I used as garbage bags.
I use them for lots of things too, but I have so many more than I can ever use! Challenger hands them out, other shops too, kids get them from camps and activities, free gifts... I use the large-sized ones for grocery shopping and the smaller ones for various purposes, but the pile is getting bigger. And it would be so wasteful to throw them away!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ammonite » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am

slmkhoo wrote: I use them for lots of things too, but I have so many more than I can ever use! Challenger hands them out, other shops too, kids get them from camps and activities, free gifts... I use the large-sized ones for grocery shopping and the smaller ones for various purposes, but the pile is getting bigger. And it would be so wasteful to throw them away!
I don't understand - brand new unused bags right? Still in sealed up packaging or folded up? these days I have started just putting things into my bag if possible. Most of my plastic bags are from NTUC - I tell the cashier to put more things together - and I pass them on to others who don't have enough. Pet owners are always looking for plastic bags.

I think we just shop too much! DH does bring back many reusable bags from the various things he attends. I keep a couple of nice cloth bags and throw away the flimsy ones. They won't last more than a week and the main point is they will break down unlike plastic that does not decompose easily.