Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
lim.amanda
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

Post by lim.amanda » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:13 pm

tbh dont think 10c is enough to make any difference but if you make me pay 50c for a plastic bag I would just hold it with my hands

EstherP
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by EstherP » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 am

lim.amanda wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:13 pm
tbh dont think 10c is enough to make any difference but if you make me pay 50c for a plastic bag I would just hold it with my hands
I agree on this 100%. 10c won't make any difference. It's easy to get 10c and for most people, it won't matter at all

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mondecoinmetier » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am

Have heard about this too. However, was wondering have anyone actually seen it happening? I brought my own bag in case got no plastic bag but so far I shop @ neighborhood Giant, Sheng Siong and NTUC fair price still have plastic bag. So what's up with this? I don't really understand. Have this been pulled back?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 am

EstherP wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 am
lim.amanda wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:13 pm
I agree on this 100%. 10c won't make any difference. It's easy to get 10c and for most people, it won't matter at all
I believe it should begin with reducing 1st. By doing this, it may discourage those who are buying just 1 or 2 small items of low value coz they will feel the pinch of paying for a bag.
Last edited by Nebbermind on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am

mondecoinmetier wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am
Have heard about this too. However, was wondering have anyone actually seen it happening? I brought my own bag in case got no plastic bag but so far I shop @ neighborhood Giant, Sheng Siong and NTUC fair price still have plastic bag. So what's up with this? I don't really understand. Have this been pulled back?
Fairprice decided to stop giving the 10cent rebate as it probably wasn't doing anything effective. I wrote to ask them why (it was already so little, yet they decided to withdraw it?), but they say they prefer to "encourage" customers to reduce the no. of plastic bags taken in other ways - not specified. But I have not seen anything in my weekly visits. I also shop at SS - also no sign of anything. If the government won't insist, all these retailers won't do anything either.

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Michy79 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:33 am

Change begins in ourselves. It all comes down to more of us choosing to reduce plastic in our own lives, stop contributing to the problem and start living more sustainably. By simply bringing our own containers, reusable bag or reusable straw can make a big difference..

Tryingtobeagoodmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Tryingtobeagoodmum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am
mondecoinmetier wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am
Fairprice decided to stop giving the 10cent rebate as it probably wasn't doing anything effective. I wrote to ask them why (it was already so little, yet they decided to withdraw it?), but they say they prefer to "encourage" customers to reduce the no. of plastic bags taken in other ways - not specified. But I have not seen anything in my weekly visits. I also shop at SS - also no sign of anything. If the government won't insist, all these retailers won't do anything either.
maybe the change need time to implement? slowly but surely. just came back from perth and there grocery store don't provide bags which i really think it's a good move. but some people will have headache especially they are so used to using these plastic bags as their garbage bags. :sweat:

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:29 am

Change should start within ourselves. If we are willing to live in a sustainable lifestyle, we should be able to help in just simple ways. Just think of the future generation that will be living on earth. ;)

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:50 am

I am using all sorts of plastic bags at home for rubbish. For example, if there is little cooking and am not generating much rubbish (skins of fruits, bones etc), I will use a smaller plastic bag. After a trip to the supermarket, there will be massive sorting of veg and meat. I will take the chance to fill a bigger plastic bag before dumping into the rubbish chute.
In this way, I 'make full use' of plastic bags.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:39 am

Plastic bag fee at some FairPrice outlets
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... ce-outlets