Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am

Not exactly on topic, but I'm having a problem with too many plastic bags! Specifically, the large, thick ones used by Fairprice Online. I get about 8-9 a month when I make my order, and I only use about 3-4 a month at most. I understand they have to separate the frozen/chilled and pork products from the rest, but I sometimes get a single item in 1 large bag.

At the moment, I have 3 large bags of assorted "supermarket-style" plastic bags (mainly from Fairprice Online) and the no. only increases. I have stopped taking plastic bags when I shop at supermarkets, but sometimes I get given a bag when someone passes me items, or someone in my family buys something (as they don't carry a foldable bag with them). I don't generate a lot of kitchen waste when I cook, so I usually use the transparent "fruit/veg" bags from supermarkets or bread bags for disposal. I only use the large bags for wastepaper basket waste (fortnightly) and recycling (monthly).

I've written to Fairprice about reducing the no. or size, and as expected, got the usual reply that they will consider my comments and the unhelpful response that I should put the bags in a recycling bin. I think that would be totally wasteful given that they are perfectly usable, just that I have no use for them. When I used Honestbee, they provided a recyclable non-woven bag and would take them back for reuse (at least that's what they said), and the smaller plastic bags they used for some items could be used to bag kitchen waste on days when I generated more.

Anyone have a suggestion about how to dispose of my mounting collection of large plastic bags besides recycling them? And when will Singapore get serious about the REDUCE part of reduce-reuse-recycle?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 am

Can the large ones be returned to FP?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 am

can we put on a request during online purchase for lesser plastic bags? to give back to supermarket for reused.. may be worries of 'stained' plastic bags I think lor... wait got bad guys around we wouldn't know.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:69

Post by schweppes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 am

Currently on a massive Operation Spark Joy springcleaning mission on the homefront. We have too much stuff. Those plastic and paper bags which I have been squirreling away came in very useful to recycle still good-to-use items in or to use as a trash bag.

I think it is hard to eliminate total use but a good step is to reduce usage. Where once supermarket cashiers double bag all groceries and into multiple bags, at least I see cashiers and even shoppers requesting for more items to be single bagged. Something positive done better than none. In that sense, at least we are being the conscious consumer to use less plastics.

A lot also depends on shoppers' mindset who do not see conscious consumption as a meaningful lifestyle for the environment. A couple of friends (on separate occasions) recently commented that they do not care for being environmentally friendly nor sustainability.

Was chatting with my daughters recently on this. I was saying that it may take a generation for a mindset and lifestyle change; perhaps at least another 10 to 15 years where we consciously separate wastes into the proper bins (paper, plastics, glass, aluminium cans, etc), instead of people indiscriminately throwing their trash into the bins.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:50 am

Fairprice won't take the plastic bags back for hygiene reasons, which I understand. That's why I hope they will really try to reduce the no. and size they use in the first place.

Schweppes, I am not pushing for total elimination of plastic bags. I can see many uses for plastic bags, and I do make use of them myself. What disappoints me is that so many people seem to use them quite indiscriminately - my mother's PT maid used to throw away every plastic bag used to line all the wastepaper baskets in the house (5 or 6 a week) even if there were only a few scraps of paper in each. But she now tips all the waste in 1 bag to throw, reducing the no. thrown away. I also hear quite a no. who espouse the view that "it's free, so just take more lah!", or arguing with supermarket cashiers that it's their right to take more plastic bags. If every person in Singapore reduced their use by just 2 bags a week, that would be 100 bags a year per person, and with 5 mill people, that's a lot of zeroes!

I have yet to successfully persuade my parents that separating recyclables is not "too much trouble", but I guess it's hard to change the mindset of 80-yr-olds. But younger people really should try.

I've just returned from the UK where recycling is taken for granted - every Airbnb I stayed in (6 in total) gave instructions on how the recyclable materials should be separated and disposed of. When I stayed with a friend, her county even required food waste to be separated from the general waste for composting (not feasible in Singapore because of our climate and chutes, I know). No supermarket handed out pastic bags. And there were so many charity (2nd-hand) shops everywhere, even on the high streets.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 pm

when I was at Giant over the weekend. I heard the cashier asking the customer queueing in front of me if he needs plastic bag..ntuc, they try separate the meat from the rest ..

CarolW
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by CarolW » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am

Four supermarket chains launch campaign to reduce plastic bag use
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... ic-bag-use

Hendon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Hendon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 am

CarolW wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am
At checkout counters, they should play climate change videos of extreme weather, plastic in oceans and beaches.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 pm

CarolW wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am
Today the cashier at SS squeezed everything snugly into 1 bag

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:13 pm

time to bring our grocery bags out :lol: I bought a few bags from online these few days..received one bought earlier..I thought can put arch files too as the bags are big and foldable, can keep in car or anywhere.