Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Re: Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

Post by janet88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 am

whenever I go to the supermarket, I will bring a cooler bag with ice pack in case I buy ice cream, frozen stuff or meat.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by MyPillow » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 am
I watched a program on Channel U recently. They showed that in South Korea, the supermarkets provide free cardboard cartons/boxes for customers to pack their groceries in and carry home. (They charge for plastic bags) That’s very smart re-use of the thousands of boxes that the supermarkets have in large supply...
yes, when we went to lotte supermarket - local cust & tourists who buy a lot can req re-use boxes to pack.
n i din buy a lot, we use plastic bags- i guess was charged for it, but a few cents i din take note

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:04 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 am
I watched a program on Channel U recently. They showed that in South Korea, the supermarkets provide free cardboard cartons/boxes for customers to pack their groceries in and carry home. (They charge for plastic bags) That’s very smart re-use of the thousands of boxes that the supermarkets have in large supply...
When we travel to Australia or US we do that as well. They usually have stacks of cartons out front/back. We will choose a few good ones to use throughout our trip.

Another thing is they wrap their raw food, like meat, seafood, etc in paper instead of bagging then in plastic bags. Singapore supermarkets, very few do that and we see them doing that only for ham, maybe sometimes meat from the butchers.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:219

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Funz wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Another thing is they wrap their raw food, like meat, seafood, etc in paper instead of bagging then in plastic bags. Singapore supermarkets, very few do that and we see them doing that only for ham, maybe sometimes meat from the butchers.
We need more info about environmental impact of different things - from manufacture to disposal. If not, consumers don't really know if changes we make really help the envrionment. Singaporeans also use a lot of redundant packaging - deli counters which wrap food in paper then put it in a plastic bag, shoppers who bring a reusable bag but put (dry or already packaged) items in plastic bags and place them in the reusable bag, etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Funz wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 am
For raw food storage, plastic bags are still the most convenient and space saving. Instead of throwing them away, I wash, dry and reuse them. But I do wonder if I am wasting water instead :sweat: and not to mention that there is just this many times you can reuse them. I also wonder how environmentally friendly would it be if I were to use baking paper to wrap up raw food for freezing.
I have the same thoughts. More info on total environmental impact would be good. Someone should do the assessment for the Singapore context as the conclusion may differ depending on transportation costs, waste disposal methods, price of water, etc.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 pm

I think there is no point in using biodegradable plastics in Singapore because everything will be incinerated, right?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 pm
I think there is no point in using biodegradable plastics in Singapore because everything will be incinerated, right?
That's my thought too - which is why I feel we need clear info/advice that is based on our local context.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:27 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm
ngl2010 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 pm
That's my thought too - which is why I feel we need clear info/advice that is based on our local context.
Yes. And I recently heard that when to recycle plastic bottle, we should not include the cap and the ring. However, I have never seen this warning in any recycling bin here. So I don’t know what is the correct way of recycling plastic bottles.

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Now I am making a habit to bring a reusable bag with me every time I do my groceries.. bringing one each time won't hurt you. This should be practiced.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Czeec80 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Now I am making a habit to bring a reusable bag with me every time I do my groceries.. bringing one each time won't hurt you. This should be practiced.
Ashamed to say I hv yet to hv this gd habit :oops: