KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Re: Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Dahl wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:10 pm
slmkhoo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 am
I feel that charging for bags is a good way to make people think about how many they actually need, while still making them available for necessary use. A free good is always going to be used more wastefully than one that is charged, but we shouldn't need to regress in terms of hygiene. I saw this in both UK and China where I lived for several years during the times when plastic bag charges were introduced. I immediately saw that people started bringing their own bags, or putting more items in each plastic bag rather than asking for more bags.
Did the stores charge per piece or a flat rate per transaction? Thinking in the latter case, some shoppers may take more than what they need.
The charge was per bag. I couldn't understand what Fairprice was doing in Singapore - giving 10 cents rebate as long as the customer brought 1 bag! What incentive is that to bring enough bags to make a difference? Most people just brought 1 bag and took many others, or said that 10 cents wasn't worth the trouble.

Dahl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Dahl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm

I see... yes, such measures can influence behaviour if used well.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:167

Post by zac's mum » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:32 pm

I decided to buy a dozen of these machine-washable eco-friendly bags, from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VDXYJ2Y

Going to give some of them to my mum for her grocery shopping. Really convenient to have, does not tear like supermarket plastic bags, and even if fish/meat or fruit juices dirty the bag, I can machine-wash and re-use them.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:38 am

zac's mum wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:32 pm
I decided to buy a dozen of these machine-washable eco-friendly bags, from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VDXYJ2Y

Going to give some of them to my mum for her grocery shopping. Really convenient to have, does not tear like supermarket plastic bags, and even if fish/meat or fruit juices dirty the bag, I can machine-wash and re-use them.
I have a similar one from Nescafe(?)...very strong, lightweight and can be folded into the size of a men's hanky.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Anybody remember in 1970s or 1980s when the use of plastic bags was not so prevalent, how did our parents or us clear the rubbish?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Anybody remember in 1970s or 1980s when the use of plastic bags was not so prevalent, how did our parents or us clear the rubbish?
Just threw the rubbish into bins (we lived in a house) - wet and smelly! I guess those in flats just dumped trash into chutes? That's why I feel we cannot do away with plastic bags totally.

I really can't understand why the conversation about plastic bags seems to regard it as a "all or nothing" choice - either we have to accept extravagant and indiscriminate use, or ban them totally. Surely we can use them more sparingly by reducing and consolidating trash, and using smaller bags if possible? If every household reduced plastic bag use to just 1 a day for trash, and reused bags from packaging, that would reduce the no. of plastic bags thrown away drastically. And we can use (and reuse) other kinds of bags for other purposes. Plastic bags can also be reused for carrying wet items, and new ones taken from shops only when necessary.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:35 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 am
starlight1968sg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Just threw the rubbish into bins (we lived in a house) - wet and smelly! I guess those in flats just dumped trash into chutes? That's why I feel we cannot do away with plastic bags totally.

I really can't understand why the conversation about plastic bags seems to regard it as a "all or nothing" choice - either we have to accept extravagant and indiscriminate use, or ban them totally. Surely we can use them more sparingly by reducing and consolidating trash, and using smaller bags if possible? If every household reduced plastic bag use to just 1 a day for trash, and reused bags from packaging, that would reduce the no. of plastic bags thrown away drastically. And we can use (and reuse) other kinds of bags for other purposes. Plastic bags can also be reused for carrying wet items, and new ones taken from shops only when necessary.
I think most just dump the filth directly into the chute, or wrap with newspaper that came with the fresh. There were swill collectors for cooked waste, perhaps where there were nearby farms.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Post by pirate » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:49 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 am
I really can't understand why the conversation about plastic bags seems to regard it as a "all or nothing" choice - either we have to accept extravagant and indiscriminate use, or ban them totally. Surely we can use them more sparingly by reducing and consolidating trash, and using smaller bags if possible?
Because that kind of conversation is not sexy enough for attention seekers. So must stick to attention grabbing "all or nothing".

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:16 pm

I always try to limit a plastic bag per day for thrash

Kjolene
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Kjolene » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm

After a few 10cent reminders to reuse our plastic bags, we will remember :)