School Run

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

School Run

Postby LOLMum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm

lets talk about school run. do you enjoy going to school to pick up your kids?

i know most of us drive but some do have to go to the gate to pick up the kids. so do you dread this moment or do you like it? are there people you dont wish to talk to?

there are times when i was there and i hate it. have you ever encountered people who are friendly to you one moment and next ignore you? i mean, it is not as if both are at opposite ends, you came face to face and you smile, and the other person just ignore you. yet sometimes in a group of mums, this person is able to chat and laugh with you. i am :shock:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I simply wait in the car for them. No need to chitchat. How long is your daily school run? Mine's almost 2 hours for both kids.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: School Run

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:51 pm

LOLMum wrote:lets talk about school run. do you enjoy going to school to pick up your kids?

i know most of us drive but some do have to go to the gate to pick up the kids. so do you dread this moment or do you like it? are there people you dont wish to talk to?

there are times when i was there and i hate it. have you ever encountered people who are friendly to you one moment and next ignore you? i mean, it is not as if both are at opposite ends, you came face to face and you smile, and the other person just ignore you. yet sometimes in a group of mums, this person is able to chat and laugh with you. i am :shock:

i love the fetching part of school run.
i dread the going to fetch part but once i see them, my tired legs will be re-energised and the weather no longer seem as hot.
judging from sashimi's brief encounter with me :wink:, i can sure put on an arrogant face :politebleah:. ds1 already P2 and schellen is the only parent whom i spoke to for the longest time. ds2 has been with his preschool since mid last year and my relationship with his classmates parents are the nod-smile-hello type.
in summary, don't talk much. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 pm

i used to go about 15 minutes before school ends and wait at the gate. later i would just drive in to pick. as parking lot is limited, sometimes i do have to go half an hour early to get a lot and my ds simply come to the car. as mathsparks said "no need for chit chat".

i had a few encounters with some of these few blew "hot and cold", and i was wondering did i do anything to upset them. thus initially, picking her up from school iwas such a dreaded task. i mean, i looked like an idiot saying hello or smiling at someone face to face and that person just ignored me. so is like "should i smile or should i not?".

anyway, talked to some mums about this and decided to stick to those on the same wavelength and just ignore those who blow "hot and cold".

same thing happened here in london. so i guess everywhere, people are the same. mums here give out same advice and many wait in the car and drive off as well.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am

I was fortunate to have met a mum when my dd was in P1. We enjoyed chatting wif each other and we wld actually go to sch abt 15mins earlier to gossip at the sch gate. :lol:

Sadly, she transferred her dd to another sch this yr and I had no other moms to gossip abt teachers, sch, workload etc...

This yr, when I met other mums and I tried to start a conversation but I got monosyllabic ans :stupid:

I wonder y parents pretend they dun know each other when we meet 5x a wk at the sch gate :?

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: School Run

Postby schellen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 am

jedamum wrote:judging from sashimi's brief encounter with me :wink:, i can sure put on an arrogant face :politebleah:. ds1 already P2 and schellen is the only parent whom i spoke to for the longest time. ds2 has been with his preschool since mid last year and my relationship with his classmates parents are the nod-smile-hello type.
in summary, don't talk much. :)

aiyah, i also have tt look too. and don't u think sashimi looks worse when u don't know tt he's friendly? LOL

i'm just glad tt my DD1 comes home on her own. even when my FIL insists on picking her up, she refuses, even when it's raining since she wants to have a chance to use her cute umbrella...just to cross a narrow road.

in the beginning of this year, when i picked up her the first few times (sashimi drops her at sch and she actually prefers daddy to do it since she enjoys his company), i had to bring my baby down with me too. jedamum was a lifesaver cos since she chatted with me, i was not bombarded with questions from the old folks waiting to pick up their grandkids and swarmed by strangers wanting to touch my baby. (i didn't realise this until my sis went down with my baby to pick up DD1 and she told me what happened.) so jedamum, thank you! :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Waiting

Postby janet88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I have the luxury of getting hubby to pick the kids up after school. But hubby had eye op recently and cannot go out in the glaring hot sun, so I have to pick son up.
Mostly see the maids chattering while waiting for the kids to dismiss after school. As for parents, it's just nod-and-smile for 1 or 2 mummies. My 6 year old daughter insisted on going along, so most of the time I would be looking out for her.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:51 pm

I enjoy the school runs lah. I only drop my kids at the school gate. For pickup, I usually go a little earlier to wait, so my kids hopefully won't need to waste time. Depending on what activity they are off from, I may get out and wait in the school, get to have a feel of what's going on, kaypoh a bit, chit-chat a bit. Not all parents/grandparents like to chat, which is fine.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 pm

My preference would be to pick up and go. Except for one mommy (my husband's colleague's wife), I try to keep my distance even though I know who their kids are. At most, just nod and talk about how hot the weather is.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 pm

chamonix wrote:My preference would be to pick up and go. Except for one mommy (my husband's colleague's wife), I try to keep my distance even though I know who their kids are. At most, just nod and talk about how hot the weather is.

You all don't grouse about assignments, exchange handphones/emails, talk about teachers, etc, etc, to keep in-the-know, ah?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time