School Run

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Wished I could do more of the chit chat with other mothers, but no, I can only pick kids up one day a week, when I can take a short break from work. Pick up DS3 at 1, DDs at 1:20, DS2 at 1:30 then bring them for lunch then home.

After that, I'm back at work lor. No time to chit chat. However, this week, I had a term break, so I managed to visit DS2's school. Finally get to know some of my son's classmates' moms. Goodness, they all know each other from last year. I know only 1 or 2 of them recently.

Yep, should drop by and chat instead of just driving off. Definitely will put in some effort this year.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:30

Post by jedamum » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:47 pm

phankao wrote:You all don't grouse about assignments, exchange handphones/emails, talk about teachers, etc, etc, to keep in-the-know, ah?

i do that with schellen over here using pm. :wink:

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

phankao wrote:
chamonix wrote:My preference would be to pick up and go. Except for one mommy (my husband's colleague's wife), I try to keep my distance even though I know who their kids are. At most, just nod and talk about how hot the weather is.

You all don't grouse about assignments, exchange handphones/emails, talk about teachers, etc, etc, to keep in-the-know, ah?

I'm easily stressed, so it's best to keep away from the parents. Otherwise I might go nuts and :rant: at my son :oops: .

As far as possible, I try to keep my hands off everything about school. But that doesn't mean I am not concerned. I still ask him the usual stuff like how's the day, what happened at school blah blah blah... He's only in P1, can still afford to be relax, right? :D

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Blobbi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 am

I thought this topic was about running in school, hahaha!

I love the school run! Mornings, it's a simple drop off. In the afternoons, because the carpark is very tight, I come in before 1.00 to make sure I have a spot, and then wait till 1.30 for my son to get released. A lot of the mums do this cos of the carpark situation, so we end up chatting.

The mums are really nice! At first, I was confined to the other P1 mums (felt like such a newbie!) - my son is Mr "I Take Care Of it" and tells me what he wants me to know (drats), so I try to find out about upcoming tests, events etc from the other P1 mums. But the mums with older kid are also very happy to chat and let you know what lies ahead in terms of school streaming etc. It's a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere and I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 am

I like to walk my 2 younger boys to school after DH drops us. For DS2, we will cross the bridge together and I will give him simple reminders like, "Keep your hands and feet to yourself." Remember to take out your worksheet and handup. After that, we have a short prayer and he walks off. When he reappears after crossing the chapel, he will wave until he no longer sees me.

After dropping DS2, I will get back into the car and drive DS3 to his school. He will always ask for a simple prayer as well as he is quite afraid of school being P1. I will then walk him all the way to the steps leading to the hall. I have asked him to take a shorter route to the hall. But he wanted to take the longer route. He said, "So that I can wave longer at mummy." He kept on waving as he walked till he had to enter the hall.

Every time these 2 boys disappear from my sight, I told myself they are one step further away from me, and one step closer to leaving me. So, I do treasure each and every opportunity to walk them, no matter how difficult.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 am

Alamak maybe I am the 'hot n cold' mum.
When I don't put on my glasses I cannot see clearly so I may miss some faces or greetings. Also I know many ppl so when I reach the gate I don't know who to talk to sometimes.

At times I am on the phone too so I try to acknowledge as many ppl as possible by waving at them and continue my phone dialogue.

Of course I also meet those super tight-faced mums whose face prefer to have wrinkles than grin lines even though I have helped them before with their kids. I actually cannot be bothered if that is their disposition, just gotta accept there are all kinds of ppl around, it takes all sorts to make the world. I assume they are not being personal when they look like that. And if they are, too bad I don't get it :lol: then it would be a waste of their frown lines..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bottomline is I enjoy the school runs, never ruin by such people.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Blobbi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 am

2ppaamm wrote:I like to walk my 2 younger boys to school after DH drops us. For DS2, we will cross the bridge together and I will give him simple reminders like, "Keep your hands and feet to yourself." Remember to take out your worksheet and handup. After that, we have a short prayer and he walks off. When he reappears after crossing the chapel, he will wave until he no longer sees me.

Hey yeah, I love the morning bit cos after walking through the gates, he'll walk up the clock tower and wave till he gets in, sometimes pop out for a bit of hide and seek some more!

Every time these 2 boys disappear from my sight, I told myself they are one step further away from me, and one step closer to leaving me. So, I do treasure each and every opportunity to walk them, no matter how difficult.

So true. I am proud and sad at the same time. :cry:

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Waiting

Post by metz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:29 am

janet_lee88 wrote:My 6 year old daughter insisted on going along, so most of the time I would be looking out for her.

Same here. When the mommies I am comfortable with are not there, I'll have more time with my girl. So far, we have explored the grass there, playing with forget-me-nots etc. Great bonding time for us.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by metz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 am

ks2me wrote:Alamak maybe I am the 'hot n cold' mum.
When I don't put on my glasses I cannot see clearly so I may miss some faces or greetings. Also I know many ppl so when I reach the gate I don't know who to talk to sometimes.

At times I am on the phone too so I try to acknowledge as many ppl as possible by waving at them and continue my phone dialogue.

Wow, you sound like some big shots. :!: :wink:

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:01 am

chamonix wrote:
ks2me wrote:Alamak maybe I am the 'hot n cold' mum.

Wow, you sound like some big shots. :!: :wink:

No leh, just a sociable mom but somehow can be miscontrued hor.... Now I learn sth from the forum, maybe I really come across like the 'hot n cold' mum because of perception lor... :lol:

Just in case further miscontrued, I mean I am like the "hot and cold" mum type and not that I am THAT specific mum.... cannot be SG that small right? :|