General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:156

Re: The ticking time bomb of the 99-year-leasehold HDB flats

Post by lee_yl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:54 pm

ammonite wrote:
lee_yl wrote: I am not sure why I have this impression that Singaporeans will definitely have a roof over their heads, HDB flats will take turns to get enbloc and residents will get to select a brand new flat (if keen).
Singaporeans will definitely have a roof over their heads - that is part of the national narrative, and I think it is an accomplishment to be proud of. There are definitely many different schemes available to help achieve this.

HDB flats taking turns to get enbloc - I have never heard of this leh. Did you get it mixed up with HUDC and (I think) some ECs which were privatised in stages?

The bulk of the HDB flats cannot be enbloc lah - that is too much land for the government to put into private hands - how to do urban planning as such?
Not the private concept of enbloc for HDB lah, I mean SERS. Hearsay, HDB tried very hard but realized it is not possible to SERS everyone so the govt decided it is time to preempt everyone to be mentally prepared.

thsheng99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by thsheng99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 pm

It is not economically to SERS everybody. Our taxes will have to increase exponentially to support this

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ammonite » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for cueing me in, I must confess I am not familiar with SERS. I did a google and I see now why some may think that. But the S for SERS is "Selective" and I don't see how it is possible to do so for everyone. The math just doesn't work out. It also sounds very much like giving subsidies twice over - once when you buy direct, second time when you move to the new place. The government will have to cough up quite a bit of money while the owners profit. I guess the government CAN afford to cough money into private pockets, but that will not be in line with our conservative approach towards national budget.

I may be wrong of course and I will stand corrected.

thsheng99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by thsheng99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm

I guess thats why the govt is giving advance notice now so nobody can complain when lease runs out

mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by mummychua » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm

anyone has sympathy for this couple? should the gov help them if they didnt sell their house now and the lady with her longevity genes managed to outlive her flat lease?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h ... of-my-flat

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Our homeland is really scarce. Every property is expensive in highly dense cities such as Japan, HK & Spore. Hence, we hv to pay much higher price for smaller sqft or get squeezed into small area if can't afford. I believe this kinda living is not healthy for the mental capacity & I'm hoping we'll never hv to come to point where we squeeze all belongings into a 4M X 4M inclusive of kitchen, bed & 'open wardrobe'.

It's pathetic state to know HK govt do not plan well for their nation & it's been in a state as loosing 'parentage' & struggling with identity btwn past British heritage & Chinese occupation. In moments such as this, I'm just thankful our founding fathers build mass housing & over-time, we're able to shoot for private space. Still not as bad lah. Just need to tighten some issues in the real estate ownership.

thsheng99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by thsheng99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:47 pm

mummychua wrote:anyone has sympathy for this couple? should the gov help them if they didnt sell their house now and the lady with her longevity genes managed to outlive her flat lease?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h ... of-my-flat
No sympathy. I am not going to let the govt use my tax money for such subsidies

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ammonite » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:05 pm

I wonder how many resale properties she sold to others based on half-truths.

love1001
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by love1001 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 pm

I think this couple factor in the cost of renovation. However not everyone likes the same design. For me, I prefer a brightly lit and simple designed house. If I have a choice, I will go for a cheaper unit and do up my own reno.

thsheng99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by thsheng99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

With this realization that HDB leasehold is a reality, the govt should not be touting asset appreciation as though it is a given

It will 害死很多人