The ticking time bomb of the 99-year-leasehold HDB flats

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Re: The ticking time bomb of the 99-year-leasehold HDB flats

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:42 pm

thsheng99 wrote:With this realization that HDB leasehold is a reality, the govt should not be touting asset appreciation as though it is a given

It will 害死很多人

I believe they did in the 90s & esp with Bishan. Looking back, it's not ethical to abuse position as politician to push others to move to Bishan & claimed residents will find their valuable there. Maybe for those who had alr had their children entered CHS & thereafter RI.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm

lee_yl wrote:To be honest, before LW came out to say that they can’t enbloc everyone and value will drop to zero once lease is up, I am not sure why I have this impression that Singaporeans will definitely have a roof over their heads, HDB flats will take turns to get enbloc and residents will get to select a brand new flat (if keen).
some people have the impression that buying very old flats will get to enjoy enbloc.
owners of those flats beside great world city got to enbloc to nearby estate as the flats had to make way for Havelock DTL3...certain blocks in clementi enjoyed enbloc and move to new flats above clementi mall.
it's really SELECTIVE blocks which will enjoy enbloc and not all residents who stay in old estates will get to move to a new flat.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Estéema wrote: I believe they did in the 90s & esp with Bishan. Looking back, it's not ethical to abuse position as politician to push others to move to Bishan & claimed residents will find their valuable there. Maybe for those who had alr had their children entered CHS & thereafter RI.
bishan used to be a cemetery...flats there are still as expensive with RI and CHS located nearby.
now Bidadari is going to be a housing estate just like bishan...prices of flats are not cheap as it is in a mature estate.
https://www.propertyhunt.sg/8-reason-wh ... t-haven-2/

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Yes. Bishan was cemetery & 老go 甜言蜜语 persuaded population to move with enticement. Tell u if u become B residents, yr value goes up (half-of story), but never tell u the other half of story (value 0 after 99 years).

Wld u consider the former fake news?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:07 pm

mummychua wrote:anyone has sympathy for this couple? should the gov help them if they didnt sell their house now and the lady with her longevity genes managed to outlive her flat lease?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h ... of-my-flat
Can't read full article without subscription

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
mummychua wrote:anyone has sympathy for this couple? should the gov help them if they didnt sell their house now and the lady with her longevity genes managed to outlive her flat lease?

Everything not free anymore. ST is commercial & hv to charge to carry on dying print bz. Even teachers get charged for the big empty compound they've been using to park their car.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:27 pm

DH pointed out its same for pte property that's not FH. Wonder when I survived the lease, it means hv to worry if Mgt Committee can negotiate for extension of lease or hv to work to clear remaining residents to move out & return govt. Can be hard time when retired & hv to move & think of paying for new property.

DH made a quick computation for his mother's 5-roomer. He said worth it coz yearly cost abt $500-600 & there's no condo maintenance fee & sinking fund to worry. HDB maintenance cheap & get utilities rebate for households. He said young ppl will hv little or no money in their CPF after getting BTO.

mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by mummychua » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

The gist of the story goes... This couple bought their telok blangah flat 8yrs ago at 580k. now with the lease left 56yrs, they feels that market value had dropped. They tried to market the place at 690k in 2016 but only got bids ard 630k. Offer are slow to come due to the limited lease. And now she worry that she will outlive her lease as both grandmother of hers live till 100. BTW, she's 41 this yr.

thsheng99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by thsheng99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Best to pay a little more for FH. Peace of mind

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm

thsheng99 wrote:Best to pay a little more for FH. Peace of mind
That's for private props.

For hdb, then no choice.
I believe as long as you donch buy overpriced resale, it's gonna be ok.