Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

US and N Korea in Spore 12 Jun 2018

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: US and N Korea in Spore 12 Jun 2018

Postby Estéema » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Zappy wrote:Mindshare and being mentioned in news all over the world means moving regional hq? What utter nonsense.

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and free to post here as long as the admins allow it. I personally find it tiresome to respond to trolls.

Totally agree on this troll. I've been very tired out by this bloke.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby pirate » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I am direct. I am brash. I can be sarcastic. And I love to take the mickey out of big words and jargon masking lack of clarity of thought. At least I don't get personal. I attack the viewpoint, not the person. Which is more than I can say about certain passive aggressive posters...

PS. In case you don't get the point I was making about the $20m, here's my marketing jargon in response to "mindshare" - wrong target audience.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby Estéema » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 pm

pirate wrote:I think it would have been more cost-effecive 'mindshare' wise to have Thanos flatten Singapore in Infinity Wars 2, and some random Gaiju do the same again in Pacific Rim 3.

Sorry, I am unable to picture this kind of conversation: "Papa! Lets go to Singapore for our holidays because I want to see where Donald Trump met with Kim Jong Un."

My issue is that this kind of rationalization for splurging $20m sounds very... uhm... BN. I certainly do not need the likes of ministers talking down to me on how this is money well spent.

Why can't u see the trees for its forest?

We're alr brot to Int'l visibility. The world knows the historic summit went smoothly with no security incidence (unless u count the Canadian who slipped by).

Trump gave accolades to Spore host for being gracious & gave credit yonour ppl who put together high security & communications just within a month or so. Now the world knows Spore for its efficiency & safe environment.

It'll definitely translate to more tourists dollars & greater investments. Every news hv been reporting since early this week & here in Europe it's every hour they discuss abt the summit in Spore.

Just met a young German girl who alr travelled to Spore at age of 23 on her own. Spore's visibility has been lifted for hosting & doing all the groundwork to host. This is irregardless of what the 2 leaders' discussion outcome in the months to come.

Our reputation as a safe place to visit has been painstakingly built over decades. We shld not be blind to this blessed fact. I rmbr abt 2-3 decades ago, my scientist colleague emigrated fr Taiwan with his parents due to safety scare in their home-country. Many Taiwanese & Hong Kongers wants to make a life here. Some really worked hard to contribute here & had their 2nd & 3rd generation assimilated here alr.

Abt 3 decades back, my Aussie lecturer gave recognition before a lecture hall of Int'l students of the riding success into an ultra-modern society & a beautiful city with efficient govt. He was making a point to counter the negative presentations of a small grp of fellow Sporean students sniding abt taxes, COE, and 'senile' LKY for dreaming of reuniting with M'sia again. The lecturer used to do bz in Spore ' lecturers in btwn but pointed out how effective & quick govt policy made Spore's economy grew leaps & bounds. It's no different fr some KSP Forumers here who do not appreciate the many blessings we alr have & work cohesively as one ppl for national pride. I saw how the Msian students praised M'sia govt & even their bunga, even tho they don't hv as much (both the Malays & Chinese M'sians).

Sad.

As I travel ppl are respectful when they know I'm a Sporean. I'm proud & value The foresight our govt then & now hv seized opportunities to play host in a neutral stance, incl one for Taiwan & China. Our Spore passport is very sought after for the value & worldwide recognition, w/o need for visa to most countries. This alone speaks volumes.

Maybe that's why great bzmen made it big and common folks like us with little foresight & weak hands and griping fear do not do great things & accomplish much?
Last edited by Estéema on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum_sugoku » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Zappy wrote:
janet88 wrote:
Zappy wrote:Thank goodness Air Force One pilots didn't get the directions from the State Dept. :roll:

:rotflmao: or both leaders will land in Malaysia. KJU won't want that at all.
first Singapore is under China, now it's part of Malaysia. what's next?

Ok la... $20M to get world perception to move Sg from East Asia to SE Asia - nearer already.

On a more serious note, I think this $20m is probably one of the best investments by the Sg Govt in terms of marketing the country. Huge worldwide publicity, showcase of efficiency & effectiveness - overall a huge ROI in marketing terms. I am comparing against the huge amounts spent in F1 ($150M/ yr) & YOG ($300M).

To be precise, for YOG, it's $387m.. :wink:

While I support govt splurging a little hosting the summit, I wonder why it needs to spend as much as $20m for an event that lasted only 3 days. They ought to remember they are spending taxpayers' money, and should use such money prudently.

But I agree with you that money spent hosting this summit can bring far better return than the far larger sum spent hosting YOG and F1. If only we could foretell we'd have the chance to host such historic event, perhaps we need not had spent those hundreds of millions on YOG/F1 ..

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mum_sugoku » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm

pirate wrote:I think it would have been more cost-effecive 'mindshare' wise to have Thanos flatten Singapore in Infinity Wars 2, and some random Gaiju do the same again in Pacific Rim 3.

Sorry, I am unable to picture this kind of conversation: "Papa! Lets go to Singapore for our holidays because I want to see where Donald Trump met with Kim Jong Un."

My issue is that this kind of rationalization for splurging $20m sounds very... uhm... BN. I certainly do not need the likes of ministers talking down to me on how this is money well spent.

I think it's more than mere publicity.

We also get to build a very good relationship with NK (see how Chairman Kim had been taking wefies with Vivian and "the unknown man"?). Hopefully such relationship could make it easier for SG to do business with NK. :smile:

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Estéema » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Hey mum_sugoku,

DH said the global news reporters alone wld hv occupied many meeting rooms & accommodation, incl our backend guys to ensure smooth operations. Of course the many diff media hv to pay for their own expenses. There's also the cost of clearing out earlier bookings of St Regis & Shangri-la and other ancillary costs in alternative accommodation. Our back-end & front-end guys need to be paid leh. Hosting NK is a strategy for the future generation ar? Heard a Sporean developer's condo near the borders of NK on China side is selling like hot cakes last few days at 30-40 units daily. Imagine the opportunities once NK open up like Mynmar. Spore govt hv so many projects in China, India & Mynmar. I'm sure NK will favour Spore. Don't you think? Returns can be very long term & exponential.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum_sugoku » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Estéema wrote:Hey mum_sugoku,

DH said the global news reporters alone wld hv occupied many meeting rooms & accommodation, incl our backend guys to ensure smooth operations. Of course the many diff media hv to pay for their own expenses. There's also the cost of clearing out earlier bookings of St Regis & Shangri-la and other ancillary costs in alternative accommodation. Our back-end & front-end guys need to be paid leh. Hosting NK is a strategy for the future generation ar? Heard a Sporean developer's condo near the borders of NK on China side is selling like hot cakes last few days at 30-40 units daily. Imagine the opportunities once NK open up like Mynmar. Spore govt hv so many projects in China, India & Mynmar. I'm sure NK will favour Spore. Don't you think? Returns can be very long term & exponential.

I'm just as glad that our country is chosen to host such historic event. My issue is on whether it's necessary to spend as much as $20m for a 3-day event. If govt can spend so extravagantly on an event, it could also be extravagant in its other expenditure.. Consequently, tax may need to be raised.. yet again.

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 pm

pirate wrote:Yay! We are going to shift our regional HQ to Singapore because Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un met there, and the place is so effective and efficient in bringing traffic to a complete standstill for their motorcades.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm

pirate wrote:My issue is that this kind of rationalization for splurging $20m sounds very... uhm... BN. I certainly do not need the likes of ministers talking down to me on how this is money well spent.

honestly, who likes to be talked down to?
$20 million to host a summit forced down our throat is really hard to swallow.
on top of that, all the stress and traffic jams because of these 2 leaders.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 am

mum_sugoku wrote:
Estéema wrote:Hey mum_sugoku,

I'm just as glad that our country is chosen to host such historic event. My issue is on whether it's necessary to spend as much as $20m for a 3-day event. If govt can spend so extravagantly on an event, it could also be extravagant in its other expenditure.. Consequently, tax may need to be raised.. yet again.

Yes. Very thankful Spore was agreed for both sides to meet as neutral grounds. Maybe Mr Xi did his suggestions to KJU. Whatever it is, Spore is in positive light everywhere. :love:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres