The not so Great Singapore Sale is now left in the dust

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Re: The not so Great Singapore Sale is now left in the dust

Post by lee_yl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm

I seldom patronize Giant or Sheng Shiong.

I happened to come across some items that were cheaper than NTUC because I visited Giant’s online website as I needed to get a folded table from them.

For purchases above $59, I get free delivery and my stuff was delivered to me within 24hours.

DH said I should make use of more online delivery for heavy stuff and dried goods like washing power, rice and toilet papers etc.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:42 pm

lee_yl wrote:I seldom patronize Giant or Sheng Shiong.

I happened to come across some items that were cheaper than NTUC because I visited Giant’s online website as I needed to get a folded table from them.

For purchases above $59, I get free delivery and my stuff was delivered to me within 24hours.

DH said I should make use of more online delivery for heavy stuff and dried goods like washing power, rice and toilet papers etc.
Delivery threshold is very low & atttactive, but I'll never hit that target coz nothing attracts me there.

You brot up a the use of online superkmt shopping, which I'm still trying to get accustomed to. Somehow it's been a habit to hit for supermkt whe kids are having tuition & I get to select what I need to bring back in my trolley. Will get to patronize honestbee soon enuf. Thanks for the reminder lee_yl.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:50 pm

janet88 wrote:We went to orchard to take a walk.
Parked at hereen. I went to take a look around robinsons from cosmetics level up to 4th floor.
I admit firstly I don’t need many things like cosmetics or dresses...so I went to household thinking of getting something fanciful for my new place. But everything I see are in the hundred range...there are big signboards stating ‘70% sale’. How come everything seems so expensive even with 70%?
Then I went to metro. The prices seem more reasonable...at least to me.

Wanted to get a queen quilt. But prices are in the hundred range. Can’t bring myself to pay $160 for a quilt. It’s costly even when I went to check out tangs.

I just bought 2 pillow protectors and a sieve to scoop up the dirt on the surface of the soup.
Orchard road (belt) has turned into a sex industry trade :-

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/newsother ... id=UE12DHP

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 pm

lee_yl wrote:For purchases above $59, I get free delivery and my stuff was delivered to me within 24hours.

we used redmart the last time...hubby also said to use more online delivery for washing detergent, rice, tissue box, bath liquid soap...as long as they are bulky and/or heavy, just online.
redmart packs frozen stuff nicely in a cooler bag.

dimewdime
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by dimewdime » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 am

GSS these days are only for tourists. Sadly. I heard from most retailers that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:43 pm

dimewdime wrote:GSS these days are only for tourists. Sadly. I heard from most retailers that.
we hardly benefit from GSS...the rich tourists come to Singapore to shop while we don't benefit from the exorbitant prices.
not everyone goes overseas where things are much cheaper.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:03 pm

I was at taka yesterday...looking to buy queen size bed sheets. prices so ex.
today I had ME time at jem. Robinsons ex too...$160 for 2 sets (some unknown brands). then the high end ones are like $350 with 40% discount. I bought horgen s/single from tangs for the kids...very soft, smooth and very affordable.
went to akemi. managed to find only 1 new piece of eyelet blackout curtain marked down by 50%...no choice have to take the display one as well. luckily the display piece is not old.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:43 am

Sporeans will not enjoy the GSS anymore as every retailers are duplicating outlets everywhere in town centres, there's no need to jostle all the way to Orchard Road.

Anyway, there's no such thingy as perpetual sale, unless one believes everything the retailers post up. Most times, I prefer shopping on my holidays in-btwn sightseeing to get unique items. Somehow, it's only on vacation does my eyes 'sparkle' over goodies that I normally hv no interest getting off home to shop.

Was just at Westgate to check our Ng Teng Fong hospital environment. The shops all hv std look - We bought a whole collection of L'cottaine products when in San Francisco & ano lot when in Germany. So when we saw the shop @ WG, we just passed w/o interest. Moreover, we get tax free for our purchases as tourists.

Guess Spore tourists will enjoy Orchard Road if they see "SALE" items & the tax free tag floating over their heads. :lol:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Estéema wrote:Sporeans will not enjoy the GSS anymore as every retailers are duplicating outlets everywhere in town centres, there's no need to jostle all the way to Orchard Road.

Anyway, there's no such thingy as perpetual sale, unless one believes everything the retailers post up. Most times, I prefer shopping on my holidays in-btwn sightseeing to get unique items. Somehow, it's only on vacation does my eyes 'sparkle' over goodies that I normally hv no interest getting off home to shop.
even without GSS, there is sale going on every other day.
it's now 'see one, see all' at department stores. nothing unique.
the stuff in orchard road are nicer but also pricier.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm

GSS or Orchard Road has lost its appeal today, because similar products can be found everywhere in other town, as each town has its own shopping mall nowadays. It is common to see "Sales" held at HDB town, shopping mall complex