The not so Great Singapore Sale is now left in the dust

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Re: The not so Great Singapore Sale is now left in the dust

Post by janet88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:54 am

Estéema wrote:I've moved on to do my shopping whenever on vacation - be it Malaysia, Australia, US, Mynmar, Japan, Austria, .... Managed to get unique stuff & I chose if I'll like the design enuf to splurge or like the design & workmanship or material quality tho cheaper ones.

Family bought Jack Wolf whilst in Germany in our recent trip. Kids got their Jack Wolf backpacks & caps. DH wore his but mine hoping to start after wash & hanging for last 1 week or so. I'm like 不舍得穿. Waiting for that "moment". But wore some casuals I bought, all much cheaper if convert to S$. Then, not very worried others hv same design wor. :preen:
lucky you...it's really much cheaper to buy overseas because a lot of things are indeed cheaper.
parents go to Malaysia for meals as it's really much cheaper there even if ordering whole table of food.
son bought a box of Hokkaido melon kit kat from japan at a lower cost.
Singapore has lost its competitive edge because rental here is too high thanks to greedy landlords.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:03 am

Since we were out on vacation, we always take chance to shop for things not found in Spore of diff varieties, designs & cost.

Yes, Janet, Japan one of the best place to shop for unique food like melon, strawberry or hazelnut Kit Kats. We bought loads & one box fr airport shops too. But after tasting, the ones fr airport was disappointing as it's full of awlful essence. Yak! Those we bought earlier fr street shops & supermkts hv authentic taste.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Post by Funz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am

I am particular about my bedding linens so when Robinsons have their beddings sale I will usually try to buy a set or 2. Threadcount matters to me. Moreover, these are things that are used for a few years. I do not have a lot of sets of beddings, only about 4-5 for each bed to rotate on a weekly basis.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 am

Saw a bedspread with splendid cheery colors in Europe's Zara homecare shops - fr Vienna to Graz & then in Germany. Now I'm regretting didnt get the set. Was not sure of size as they gave measurements but not simple indications of Q or K. Shld hv just put more thots to figure out. Anyway, missed opportunity.

Managed to get nice cushion covers fr H&M homecare outlets. Never knew Zara & H&M hv homecare items as we hv only apparels here in Spore.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 am

Funz wrote:I am particular about my bedding linens so when Robinsons have their beddings sale I will usually try to buy a set or 2. Threadcount matters to me. Moreover, these are things that are used for a few years. I do not have a lot of sets of beddings, only about 4-5 for each bed to rotate on a weekly basis.
there is no need to get too many sets of bed linen...but quality matters because I change weekly. I am still using those few sets brought over from prev flat. now we would have to pay a lot more for better quality stuff.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:34 am

In NTUC, I buy their housebrand products like toilet paper and kitchen towels. I buy fruits from Cold Storage. Meat from butcher.

Guess we mustn't forget it's a co-operative/social enterprise that has a social mission, which is to channel its profits to doing good for its members (hence it's a co-op). Lower income members will get vouchers from NTUC and low income workers' children also get annual bursaries/scholarship awards from NTUC, so in a way, I'm donating to a good cause by shopping at NTUC, even if I'm a non-member. This is something Dairy Farm stores and value shops do not do.

NTUC is definitely more expensive than Venus and BL. But it's a 'market price stabiliser' construed by LKY. Perhaps we don't feel its use during peace times, but when there's inflation, epidemic, floods, war, oil crisis, NTUC will spring into action as it holds the stockpiles and will hold prices for us, unlike the profiteering supermarkets and small players like Venus and BL.

Btw, it's Fairprice, not Cheapprice, so if one wants to get premium substitute goods, one can get from Cold Storage or Isetan. If we are non-union members, non-Pioneers and non-seniors, maybe we should get from Venus and Value$ for certain items. We're not a planned economy. We do have choices. :rotflmao:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:50 am

Zeit wrote:In NTUC, I buy their housebrand products like toilet paper and kitchen towels. I buy fruits from Cold Storage. Meat from butcher.

Guess we mustn't forget it's a co-operative/social enterprise that has a social mission, which is to channel its profits to doing good for its members (hence it's a co-op). Lower income members will get vouchers from NTUC and low income workers' children also get annual bursaries/scholarship awards from NTUC, so in a way, I'm donating to a good cause by shopping at NTUC, even if I'm a non-member. This is something Dairy Farm stores and value shops do not do.

NTUC is definitely more expensive than Venus and BL. But it's a 'market price stabiliser' construed by LKY. Perhaps we don't feel its use during peace times, but when there's inflation, epidemic, floods, war, oil crisis, NTUC will spring into action as it holds the stockpiles and will hold prices for us, unlike the profiteering supermarkets and small players like Venus and BL.

Btw, it's Fairprice, not Cheapprice, so if one wants to get premium substitute goods, one can get from Cold Storage or Isetan. If we are non-union members, non-Pioneers and non-seniors, maybe we should get from Venus and Value$ for certain items. We're not a planned economy. We do have choices. :rotflmao:
i get fruits, veg and groceries from ntuc & meat from market, toiletries from Watsons.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by MyPillow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Cold S: beef , roasted black pep or honey spring chicken, some housebrand nuts

the rest are ntuc ,wet market or venus/ck/watson , guardian

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Zeit,

You're sure NTUC Fairprice LKY's idea? I rmbr reports showing Jek Yuen Thong's wife. They're both in their silver years now with their children still contributing in various ways for future generations. The image of the news report & Mrs Jek still in my mind, tho I do not hv the news cuttings. Those were the days when shop keepers were hoarding rice to profit & NTUC Fairprice was started to dish out low price food items.

I occasionally visit GIANT as I do not like most of their food items sold there. Most are not fresh or in poor condition. Occasionally I step in if I'm in vicinity & can only pick up few items acceptable.

I mostly shop at NTUC & Cold Storage for fruits, veg, toiletries & those big items such as rice packs & necessities.

Was just at Coronation's NTUC Saturday and when I was waiting at the layby, there were many cars & ppl loading their shopping into car boots. I was agitated by the empty trolleys left unstacked at the 2 designated corners blocking other users of the passageway. I removed 2 trolleys to their station. I saw 2 families abt to leave their trolleys & was asking that they push their trolleys back before driving off. One young girl was mindless standing at the ledge, not doing much but blocking others. Ano young teenage boy was playing games with legs stretched out not mindful that trolleys might hit him.

DH says the mgt of the bldg shld manage better. The old bldg's poor design does not facilitate shoppers to drive into carpark to unload, leaving shoppers to hv to drive to the layby to collect their shopping. But the passage allows for only one car at a time, making it a great inconvenience when the driver hv to take more than 5 min to load items. Best if they can make slight changes at the side of bldg with a slop for trolleys to unload w/o holding other vehicles back. But then hor, I envisage due to tight space ard this property, & ppl' habits there'll be trolleys left behind for others to pick up after them. It's a poor mentality & attitude of leaving things for 'servants' to pick up after them.

I'm sorry, I'll just stop shopping there period. Chaotic!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 pm

I think s'times prices vary greatly bcoz promotion attempt is such some specific items will be offered at much lowered prices to attract shoppers into the shop. Not all items are on offer. Studies hv shown shoppers will be attracted to that special item but will eventually pick up a few other items not on offer. Special offers are just to generate traffic.

I rmbr many years back, I met the distributor of the Brazilian chicken, stacking the promo item at GIANT. He mentioned that at $1.99 he's selling at cost price not making much profit. But said that the offer cannot be perpetual owise he'll close shop.